+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RGR

Thread: Speer Deep Curl Bullets can be hazardous to your health.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Speer Deep Curl Bullets can be hazardous to your health.

I have deleted this post because I keep getting conflicting information depending on which tech I talk to at Speer. One tech almost scared me off of trying them (Deepcurls) and the next time I talked to another tech who said I should have no problems working up a load starting with a reduced charge and even advised me to not back off the charge too far if I was working with heavier bullets like the 225 grain .338 cal.
    Last edited by BillyHill; 10-01-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: inaccurate information

Site Contributor - Co-Captain Team 32 Special Contributing Member
    Member #
    Something seems fishy here. How in the world could Speer be allowing amatuer reloaders to have access to components that are so intolerant to deviation in speed and pressure. Surely they have to know these bullets will be used in a wide variety of calibers and firearms. I'm just saying....

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Same thing happened to me with the Deep Curls for a 7 mag. I loaded a box of them with H4831 to about factory specs and I emailed Speer and ask them about the bullet and asked them if it would be safe to shoot after reading their disclaimer. They replied to not shoot the bullet as it would build too much pressure. My question is not unlike others as to why they would throw a bullet on the market and then tell people not to shoot them because they might build too much pressure. The 2 powders they have listed for the bullet are powders I have never used and I guess these powders do not build as much pressure as others but seems like as BillyHill said in his above post that a lot of people will loading and shooting this bullet and not be aware of the pressure Speer talks about.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    The Deep Curl/Gold Dot bullet design does cause higher pressures, but I'm sure a handloader with some common sense could use them without dying. Although, I can understand liability issues without such warnings.

A few years ago when Reloader 17 first appeared, I had a nice phone chat with a guy from Alliant at the other side of the ATK libalility spectrum. I called and asked if they had RL-17 data for .257 Robt's and 7x57. The guy said no, but did say the burn rate would be excellent for those two cartridges. I told him I plan on starting with the 7x57 and would likely just use their starting load listed for the 7-08 with their same Hot-Core bullet and work my way up with my chronograph. He thought that was a great idea and asked me to send him my results, which I never did.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    i used 44cal 240 gr jsp hot core bullet then order some more (same item number) and on the box it said 44 cal 240 gr jsp deep curl i also ordered 30-30 170gr fn deep curl i used them with hot core data, no pressure issues. but i think i have do more research on this thanks for the heads up

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    OK. guys I did some checking. There are loads listed on the Speer web page for some calibers using the Deepcurl bullets. A few of the loads for the 30-30 170 grn were the same charge weight as data on the hogdon web page using the Sierra 170 grn bullet. When I checked some other calibers with bullets of similar design (flat base spire point ) in some cases the starting charge weight was HIGHER than the maximum load listed on the Speer web page for the Deepcurl bullet of the same weight. Judging from this observation I would say the Speer tech I talked to was on the level. If any of you guys are using the Deepcurl bullet please be careful and don't substitute load data from other bullet manufacturers as it appears that in some cases just the starting charge weight from another bullet could be over pressure when using the Speer Deepcurl even in the same bullet weight.
    Last edited by BillyHill; 05-09-2013 at 01:32 AM.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I really liked the 200gr 44 cal one in my 44-40. Killed a few deer with them and they performed as advertised.
    Marlins in 44-40. Whacking varmits since 1888

Team 44-40
    Team 1894

RGR
    Distinguished Master
    Fallon NV, Home base of TOPGUN, and other NAVY bad guy headaches.
    Member #
    Been talk around about the newer jackets and coating, really messing with pressures. But anyone that starts with a top of the book load, on any un tried bullet, is looking to get the horn, rather than the bull in the first place.

I would be very surprised, if a great reduction will be called for, even after they are tested. Guns do not blow up for a grain over using the correct powder for the powders sake alone. The blow up for stacking of tolerances, lets say thick neck, cases too long, then perhaps a funky piece of soft brass, and then going a grain over all in combination. And even then, the gun rarely actually comes apart, though they may lock up tighter than the afore mentioned bulls butt in fly time.

Generally, when guns actually come apart, its because the totally wrong powder got used, or the guy went several grains over, etc etc. If reloading in general was half as dangerous as some claim it too be, guys would not do it. All one has to do, is use some common sense, stick exactly by the book and they are as safe as any factory load.
    bassetman1974 likes this.
    The USA in 2014 ...Where we keep the deathly ill elderly alive on a machine, even if they want too pass, and yet abort a million unborn babies a year, that have no vote in the matter.

Its interesting that the media calls conservative protestors, "militia" and "domestic terrorists" while world wide and in the states liberal protestors are always called "students".

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    And thats why I shoot cast boolits!!!

Doc
    "It Appears As Though My Hypocrisy Knows no bounds"

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links