+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Gun and Ammo Panic Buying

Gunfighter
    Member #

Gun and Ammo Panic Buying

I live in the Houston Texas area.

A couple of weeks before Christmas my brother went to a gun show and told me that there was a line that wrapped the building about three times just to get in the door.

A friend told me that he knows a guy that went to a near Houston small town gun shop and as he approached the shop the traffic was very heavy and that vehicles were parked on the side of the road. He said, at first he thought there had been a traffic accident but soon discovered that the traffic was just people waiting to get in the gun shop. The guy went in and observed a line of people filling out paperwork for gun purchases. He also saw a fella walk up to the counter and ask the salesman how many guns he could legally buy at one time. The salesman responded and the fella pointed and said - "okay, I'll take that one, that one and that one." The salesman said do you know what those guns are? And the fella said, - No, but I don't care.

I was in Academy a couple of days before Christmas. The ammo shelves were almost empty. I was buying 22mag, they only had about six 50 round boxes left. I got my boxes and went to check out there at the gun counter. I said to the fella in front of me - "I notice there are no AR's on the shelves." He said to me that he knew a guy that was in an Academy and looking at an AR when the salesman got a phone call. After ther phone call, the salesman came over and said - "I'm sorry, I can't sell you that gun." He then told the other salesmen to remove all the AR's from the shelves.

I wonder, what do the "gun control advocates" think all these people that are panic buying guns plan on doing with these guns?

I wonder, are the politicians watching the panic buying and taking note? Do the politicians see that this is a "vote" against gun control?

What are you seeing in your area of the country? And what part of the country do you live in?

I never thought I would live to see the day!
    Last edited by EagleH; 01-05-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I'm from southwest WI. Yesterday was the first time in my life that I was unable to find plain old HV .22 LR ammo. A component shop near Madison is actually rationing primers, and even the over priced ammo at Gander Mountain is dwindling. I stopped at the Cablea's on the IN/Chicago line last week and their ammo shelves were almost bare, with the exception being bulk ammo and 30-06. A friend of mine who has a small gun shop in very rural WI is selling Glocks and S&W's as fast as he can get them. This is far worse than what I seen four years ago.
    Last edited by bassetman1974; 01-05-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I'm in Harvard Illnoise.
    Gun shops south of us in Marengo was packed .
    Parking lot was over flowing.
    People buying up what ever they can get there hands on.
    Ammo was on back order and people offering more than what was posted ,like out bidding each other .
    This was before Christmas.
    Checking at our local walfart and Farm and Fleet .ammo is gone before its unpacked.
    Now I have two shop to the north .
    One guy can't keep any AR's in stock or 5.56 ammo.
    Hand guns ,the same .
    Other shop[ has a bunch of lever guns and selling them at a very reasonable price..
    A buddy at work just picked up a 1987 ,336 in 35rem for $350.00 in VERY good condition ,
    Other shops in Elkhorn and Delavain Wisconsin are PACKED and low inventory
    I have friends that are asking me to load ammo for them because the shelves are empty ...
    Makes ya wonder..
    Marlin League #2 Team Captain

Team 39 #25
    Team 38-55 #41
    Team 1894 #97
    Team 336 #325
    Team 45 70 #355
    Team 38-55 #41
    Illnoise The state with the most corrupt politicians in the USA

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    It is pretty much the same all over, much of it irrational panic buying. Obama and the rest of his party have done more to drive new gun sales than any other administration in history. In the end, gun and ammo manufacturers are making money hand over fist with product pricing that may never go back down as well as several other negative consequences that I don't even want to talk about at this point....

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I've seen one AR type rifle on a shelf in the past few weeks. Normally they are half of the displays. Hoover tactical near Birmingham is overrun most of the time. I wonder how many of these panic buyers are competent with a gun, I know I've seen some that definiately were not.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by grilla720 View Post
    I wonder how many of these panic buyers are competent with a gun, I know I've seen some that definiately were not.
    Yeah, that is one of the consequences that I didn't want to think about. You will also end up seeing more firearms on the street that may lead to.....

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I'm just outside of Washington D.C. and don't go to many gun stores in the area as they are ridiculously overpriced. I did call around the other day looking for a place to do a FFL transfer on a Marlin. Overall the prices were high at $60 and up and one place said they had stopped doing transfers due to a backlog of paperwork. I've also heard that the state police are 3 weeks behind on background checks. I opted not to purchase that rifle, hopefully someone else here got a good deal on it. I sure miss living in Kentucky, Buds did transfers for only $10.

There is a small gun show this weekend that's pretty close but online reports indicate it is more overpacked than usual with hundreds in line just to buy a ticket. Supposedly .223 ammo is going for $1 a round and everything else is even more. I wanted to go and get some 357 brass but found some here on the classifieds instead. I also wanted some 45-70 brass and found a great deal on some new brass online. At this point I'm pretty set with what I need so unless this panic buying slows down I may never set foot in another gun store or show again.
    Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Re: Gun and Ammo Panic Buying

It's not too bad here all the Ar's, AK's and other Hi-Cap guns are sold out. But ammo, powder, primers, and bullets haven't really started disappearing yet.
    Marlin 1895 (1979) Team 45-70 member #910

Marlin 336C (1961) Team 30-30 member #743

Co-Captain--TEAMS 1894 & Team 450 Contributing Member
    Member #
    Just got back from the Orlando gun show - OMG..........

My BIL and I were one of the first twenty in the show with a line behind us at least five times longer than we've ever seen. First thing I did was go to the large sellers who handle bulk 22.... I paid the asking price but was not happy (Winchester 555 packs for $30 ea). Bought what I planned to then moved onto primers & powder. In the whole show there was only one box (1,000) of Winchester large rifle - and I got it.

I was surprised to see that Georgia Arms was not there this time. I usually buy their 405gr cast. Disappointed but they prolly can't keep up with demand shipping from their factory as it is. We saw that the majority of folks were after the hi-cap magazines which were limited to 5 per person when I walked by.

At any rate, got what I was after for the most part, just spent more than planned.

1895gunner
    LT, neptune and bigjeepman like this.

LT
    Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 1895Gunner View Post
    Just got back from the Orlando gun show - OMG..........

My BIL and I were one of the first twenty in the show with a line behind us at least five times longer than we've ever seen. First thing I did was go to the large sellers who handle bulk 22.... I paid the asking price but was not happy (Winchester 555 packs for $30 ea). Bought what I planned to then moved onto primers & powder. In the whole show there was only one box (1,000) of Winchester large rifle - and I got it.

I was surprised to see that Georgia Arms was not there this time. I usually buy their 405gr cast. Disappointed but they prolly can't keep up with demand shipping from their factory as it is. We saw that the majority of folks were after the hi-cap magazines which were limited to 5 per person when I walked by.

At any rate, got what I was after for the most part, just spent more than planned.

1895gunner
    I bet Ga Arms is at full capacity right now trying to keep up with demand... good time to be in the ammo biz.
    1895Gunner likes this.
    Team 35 Member #3

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links