+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 444 trajectory

Tenderfoot
    Member #

444 trajectory

Anyone have trajectory results for a 444 from a 20" barrel? New Levervolutuion ammo or Hornady 265 grain regular? Thanks.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

444 trajectory

The 444 trajectory is pretty much like a rainbow regardless of barrel length.

All is not lost, however - you can always trade it for a flat-shooting .45-70 ...

Go to www. hunting nut.com and download the free ballistic calculator "Point Blank". After installing it go to the "Ballistics Calculator tab and enter the bullet Ballistic Coefficient (from manfacturer), velocity and bullet weight, then click the "Calculate PBR" button. or enter the zero range and click the "Re-compute" button.
    oyote Hunter - NRA, GOA, DAD

Site Sponsor/Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #

444 trajectory

These charts are from my software but based on Hornady's published ballistics. T1 is the LEVERevolution ammuntion and T2 is the Hornady FP factory ammo. Both traces are based on a Point Blank Range of +/- 3".

Gun Wizard
    Member #

444 trajectory

CH & RD, thanks for the info.

"flat shooting 45-70"? :? :? You're joking...right? Yeah, must be joking!
    "Hunt close, then get closer."
    Team .444 -- Member #22

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

444 trajectory

Ranch Dog,
    T1 is the Leverevolution ammo on your chart? I would have expected it to have a flatter trajectory than the Hornady stuff.
    "A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
    --Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774

Team 60 #21
    Team 35 #8
    Team 444 #13
    Team 45-70 #14
    Team 30-30 #152
    Team Shotgun #23
    Team Browning #43

Member #

444 trajectory

Jayhawker... I read a Hornady factoid about the ammo and they stated that the 444 had the smallest change in performance with the new bullet. Actually, my 265-grain home cast boolit delivers as good or better performance than this.

I kind of got a worry about this new ammo, and that worry is backed up with a story in last months North American Hunter. Anyway... simply stated, I think people are going to start shooting a lot further than they have the practiced skill to shoot. Or, they are going to shoot at something that bullet isn't really designed to take on. The referenced story was a little bit of both. The fellow lost a brown bear with the ammo and they kind of thought... no big deal.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

444 trajectory

Ranch Dog may be right about the temptation factor of the new ammo.

All marketing involves at least a little hyperbole. Problem is there are lots of folks who believe the hype AND then build it up in their own minds until there is a geometric progression of their expectations. Next thing you know the new ammo, or latest whizbang gadget, absolves them of all judgement and ethical behavior.

That's the real problem I see with all the super magnums, short magnums, ultra magnums, megapower scopes, etc. Folks think it will solve all their problems. "Heck, if'n I can see it, I can shoot it!" Not!!

I once read, and it makes a lot of sense, "To realize the true advantage of a 4WD vehicle, drive it like it was a 2WD and it will take you safely through the 10% of places that your old 2WD wouldn't go."

Think about it..."use a magnum like it was an '06 and...."
    Team .444 -- Member #22

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

444 trajectory

I still would have expected the Leverevolution ammo to have a better trajectory than the standard Hornady stuff, but Ranch Dog's charts say that the standard Hornady stuff shoots flatter with more retained energy. At $35 a box and reduced performance, how much do you really think they expect to sell?
    "A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
    --Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774

Team 60 #21
    Team 35 #8
    Team 444 #13
    Team 45-70 #14
    Team 30-30 #152
    Team Shotgun #23
    Team Browning #43

Member #

444 trajectory

Another thing that is going to hurt the 444 Leverevolution. If you are not shooting a rifle with the 24", you will come up short as far as velocity is concerned.

I missed your question Jayhawker, Yes T1 is the Leverevolution ammo. The bottom line is that Hornady did their homework many moons ago and their 265-grain FP bullet and load is about as good as it can get for the 444 Marlin.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

444 trajectory

That's one reason I am happy with a .444 as my only big bore. Hdy. developed the 265 gr. FP specifically for the .444 and the factory ammo is up to potential for the cartridge.

The .444 exemplifies the K.I.S.S. paradigm. I own plenty of all-around rifles that can shoot a variety of bullet wieghts, etc. But all of them only shoot one cartridge at a time and one good load per rifle is all I can effectively employ in the field, anyway.

One load per rifle is a key element to the truth of the statement, "Beware the man with one gun." Marlin and Hornady got 'er done in that regard when they designed the .444S and ammo.
    Team .444 -- Member #22

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links