+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Bolt vs Lever guns pro's and con's

Sidewinder
    Member #

Bolt vs Lever guns pro's and con's

What are the pro's and con's of bolt action vs lever action? I used bolt actions in the past and had jamming and sticking issues. I like the lever action cause it rarely sticks or jams. I also heard that lever actions cant handle 270 cal rounds, why is that? I can open/close my prized 336 with the end of my pinky finger. Plus the triggers on brand new bolt action guns and fixed guns are just plain hard to pull, by the time you get em pulled your off the deer or hes walkin away. Just askin for an answer from for wise folks.

1982 Marlin 336
    Team 30-30 #730

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Lever Actions certainly can handle .270 cal. And 30.06, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, .223, 22-250, .243, 7mm-08, .308, .358 Win, 300 WSM, 270 WSM, 7mm WSM, 325 WSM, even .450 Marlin. Just get yourself a Browning BLR if Marlin's .22LR, 30-30, .35 Rem, 308MX, 338MX, .444, and 45-70 are not enough.
    336 likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Where a bolt gun really shines is the only place the stock touches the gun is the action. The barrel floats free and can be extremely accurate. A lever is not as precise but much more handy. If you know golf Bolt guns are great drivers. Levers are better wedges and pistols good putters. Sure you can put with a driver and you can shoot 20' with a 300 winmag and 10x scope but its different tools.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    It's just all in what ya like huh mikewood?
    450AK likes this.

1982 Marlin 336
    Team 30-30 #730

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Different strokes for different folks. I have a friend that will never buy anything but a bolt gun.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    For me the number one benefit to lever over bolt is ambidexterity. Looks a little funny when I shoot a right hand bolt action left handed...

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I was a bolt guy for most of my life...always liked em, used em, and still do. I also have within the past few years developed a liking for lever guns. I am fast with a bolt....but, I am much faster with a lever gun. Bolts can handle the pressures and pounding of big bore rifles that lever guns cannot...especially with cartridges that are intended for African LDG. The lever gun has a lot more potential than most realize....my Safari Grade 444 modifications prove that by sending 410 grain (2150 fps) and 445 grain (2100 fps) bullets down range at 4000+ ft lbs and TKO's that reach 57.............so, with a little work the old lever gun (Marlin) can produce some very serious power. As far as accuracy, here are two targets...my 35 on the left and my 444 on the right....not too shabby I would think. The only drawback to a mag tube lever gun is the shape of the bullets, but, ballistic potential even with those flat nosed bullets is good to 225 yards or so....and most of us lever gun hunters seldom go beyond that range anyway. If I need to hunt something where shots would exceed that lever gun range I would use a bolt gun, and, if I had a Marlin in my hands and I spotted game beyond what I thought its capabilities were (which has happened on a few occasions) I would count on my hunting skills to hopefully get closer for the shot. I think its a toss up for me, because I have realized what the lever gun is capable of and for most of my hunting the lever gun is the perfect rifle in every way. For those few occasions where the lever gun is not appropriate I have bolt guns waiting to get the job done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Doc Holliday, M700 and galaxieman like this.
    "You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
    - Bob Hagel

...."any achievement is directly proportional to the degree of difficulty, the degree of danger you have to go through". Jeremy Wade 2012

Wrangler
    Member #
    Most here have a slight bias as to the type rifle they prefer , my self included.
    If I'm hunting 200yds and under then it'll be exclusively a lever gun .
    Beyong that , it'll be a bolt action for me .
    Most of the hunting I do is in swamps , so I rarely carry anything but a lever action due to the ease of carrying them , quck handling etc.
    Gone...

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Is it a defect of the lever rifle chamber that it cant handle the 243 to 270 cal?

1982 Marlin 336
    Team 30-30 #730

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 336 View Post
    Is it a defect of the lever rifle chamber that it cant handle the 243 to 270 cal?
    No it is not a defect, it is a function of the mechanism. See, when tube fed lever action rifles were invented, they didn't have spitzer (pointy) bullets or even copper jacketed bullets. Hell, smokeless powder had just come about, i.e. the 30-30.

The idea is, that with the pointy end of the bullet resting against the primer of the bullet in front of it in the magazine, the rounds might suddenly go off under recoil. Guns like the Savage 99 and BLR use an internal box-type mag so spitzer bullets are no problem. I've never been truly convinced that tubular detonation can happen and think it is more myth than fact but that also doesn't mean I'm gonna go trying it out.

As to the comparison of bolts and levers well, there's a lot to that but at the same time not all that much. A fella with the know how and skills can get his lever gun to sing with the bolt guys at the proper distances. Now, to be crazy accurate, that will take some know how and modifications but it can be done. But the thing is, only paper and pride care about tiny little groups from the bench. A decent shooting Marlin will be just as effective on game within reasonable distances as anything else you want to carry. Most folks rarely shoot over 200 yards and fewer still can estimate range beyond that. Which is why they need range finders, magnums, big scopes, etc. Not knocking any of that at all and I support whatever works for folks, just saying it is a different world now that it was back when.

As someone already said, it really just comes down to a matter of personal preference and your conditions/needs. Neither is better than the other (though many folks today would have you believe otherwise) they are just different tools.

Oh, and I'm moving this thread to the General forum.
    336 and LT like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links