+ Reply to Thread

Sidewinder
    Member #

Any tricks to drilling and tapping for front sight????????

Hi All

I am pretty handy but have never done this before

I want to shorten the barrel on my 336 30-30

The front sight is the typical 2 screw type.

Any tricks to doing this so it is straight and all that?

Please advise
    Kid Couteau

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #

Re: Any tricks to drilling and tapping for front sight????????

Personally,I know I can do it but if I wanted it or needed it done I would have a professional do it.
    Life NRA
    USN-Iron Men on wooden Ships, minesweepers.
    MSO 488 and MSO437
    Team 45-70 #394
    Team 39 #96
    Team 60 #35
    Team Old Pharts #44 "Pharty-Four"
    Life member RMEF
    American Legion

Sidewinder
    Member #

Take it to a decent smith. The money spent will be well worth it.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Hi All

Yeah I know what you are saying but this is something I would like to learn to do.

its a skill I would like to learn

But thank you all for watching my 6

Kid

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #

Practice on a bad barrel that is not going to ever be used again before you practice on a perfect one that has a future. You can get pieces from a gunsmith or even throw a ways.
    Life NRA
    USN-Iron Men on wooden Ships, minesweepers.
    MSO 488 and MSO437
    Team 45-70 #394
    Team 39 #96
    Team 60 #35
    Team Old Pharts #44 "Pharty-Four"
    Life member RMEF
    American Legion

PAS
    Tinhorn
    Member #

If you decide to do this, centering the holes is the first issue. There are quite a few rifles where the front sight is slightly to one side or the other. Many don't notice this, and it usually takes moving the rear sight over to one side to compesate and get the rifle on target. Before using the existing holes to help align the new ones, make sure the old sight is in the right place. To do this, remove both front and rear dovetailed sights (leaving the front sight base on). Put the rifle in a vise or secure rest. Find two straight-edges. Set them in the dovetail slots at 90 degrees to the barrel. When you line up them up by looking from the rear of the rifle, you will know right away if the front sight is in the right place, and also if the rear dovetail is properly cut as it should be level with the top of the receiver. Use the same method to locate the front sight its new position. If the dovetails are shown to be level with each other, your sights are in the right place. Clamp the front sight down and check the location again. Use a transfer punch that exactly fits the hole in the front sight base to mark the location with a slight hit. Remove the sight base and deepen the mark with a standard center punch, being careful to strike straight down and support the barrel on a wood block or other secure surface. Now you'e ready to drill. You should have a drill press with a vise. Pad the jaws and vise in the barrel. I use a small machinists square set in the rear dovetail to align the barrel in the press so the drill bit is dead on verticle to the hole.
    Set depth the same as original holes. Don't remove the barrel from the vise as you will need to use the drill chuck to start the tap straight. Also, you need a bottoming tap to do the threading as a standard tap has too much taper to do any good.
    Now you know why a good smith charges at least $20 per hole. I to this procedure in a milling machine which is infinately better than any drill press. When I shorten a barrel, I cut a dovetail in the barrel, order a .500 sight, and eliminate the holes.

me
    Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

2 tips for you
    Don't do it the Remlin way...just sayin, I think it is classified anyway.

2nd any holes entering the bore should be considered porting no tapping required
    "I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson, Letter to William Ludlow, September 6, 1824

team 45/70 #244, team Browning #40

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

This is the type of work where a very good drill press will do the job, but a milling machine does it better because of the controlled feed.

To start with consider when shortening the bbl you will have a thicker area to drill, this is a good thing.

Having a Vee block is a real asset in that it's easier to set up the gun for machining.

I have several and they are an asset from my tool and die days.

Centering the front ramp on the bbl, this is a lot easier than you may think. To start with your ramp is round based and will center on the bores axis. Next if you have a vise that you can put a set of wooden blocks into for clamping the bbl and action in.

Do so and then you need a good small level, the kind that comes with an adjustable square and is in the cast part these are pretty accurate levels.

First level the action both ways, this will be tedious to do but in the end it's worth it.

Next when it is level check your rear sight above the dovetail to see if it is level with the actions top. One way left ane right not for and aft

Now using a small c clamp and a piece of wood level the ramp to the bbl where you want it. Side to side not fore and aft.

Making sure the area is dry the ramp will have a small gap between the bbl and it's base (the difference in bbl dia from the front) not much. Put a little super glue in the screw holes, it will spread, just to anchor it a little more solid.

When fully dried, check for level one more time. Again side to side not fore and aft aka front to back.

Using a drill that just barely fits in the screw holes spot the holes with it so you are centered in the holes.

Next take the old piece of bbl and put your tap drill into the holes to see how deep they are. Measure it by using a magic marker so you can see the depth and measure it.

Now take the drill to your ramp and mark it with the drill in the bottom of the hole against the spot drilling you done.

Next carefully using tape mark a spot on the drill the measured depth you got from the original holes. Now you can drill the tap holes and be sure when you get even with the ramps top you will have the proper depth. Clear any chips with compressed air.

Now you should have a starting tap and a bottom tap for your job as well as tap and body size drills. Available at Brownells.

Using the starting tap, tap the holes with the ramp on to assure proper alignment. Use plenty of lube during this process, and back the tap out and clear the chips with an air blast often. Don't try to tap it all at once, a broken tap is not fun to remove.

Now you have the threads started, and should remove the ramp to finish the job with the bottom tap. This is necessary to get enough threads in that small area.

Again using plenty of lube for tapping and taking it a little at a time tap it with the bottom tap until you are tapped to a total depth of the original holes.

This is for using a hand drill for all your drilling.

My bottom line is consider having a dovetail cut in the bbl instead of remounting the ramp, and use a taller front sight. Here is one I done when I shortened one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links