+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Wind
  • 1 Post By 48vintage
  • 2 Post By Wind
  • 1 Post By Tatersoup

Thread: Universal Rear Sight Setup HELPPP!!!!!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Universal Rear Sight Setup HELPPP!!!!!

Howdy yall. Im new to this sight and know this has probaly been brought up just dont know where. I just recently purchased a lever action and my question is how would you set up your universal rear sight my goal is to shoot 100 yards and closer for now. I purchased a Rossi Rio Grande 30-30 Stainless 20" Barrel. There are 6 steps on the on the Universal Rear Sight i am curious on how to set it up. Id like to know how they would set it up back in the day? I will only be shooting 100 yards and under I would like to know if I could set it up at 25, 50, 75, & 100 on the 1st 4 steps. then maybe leave the last 2 steps for maybe 150 and 200 yards later on down the road. I would really appreciate any information and knowledge yall can send my way. My rifle shoots high of course at 100. Is this the way all lever actions come shooting high? All my friends and I have bought lever actions various models and brands and they all have shot high. Are we doing something wrong like maybe using the wrong step on the Univeral Rear Sight? Normally which step is set to 100 yards? Im guessing I have to purchase a talller front sight and maybe fine tune the rear sight with some filing. Thanks in advance.

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    Hey there Amillano -- Welcome to Marlin Owners. Does your sight look something like this one? Best regards. Wind
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Amillano likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I think that there are no stock settings to the iron sights . . you do not readjust the rear sight for different ranges - zero your rifle at 100 yards and leave the sights alone from there
    Amillano likes this.
    Gary

“Only the mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of the wolf.” Aldo Leopold

Team Shotgun #6
    Marlin League #56
    Team 30-30 #366
    Team Old Pharts #42
    Team 35 #298
    Team 39 #230
    Team 60 #166
    Team 1894 #366
    Team 444 #648
    Team .45-70 #1332

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    @ Wind: Yes sir Wind thats exactky what it looks like. @ 48 Vintage: O.... ok so sight it at 100 I guess i could do that but id like to utilize the other steps unless noone does that?

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    Hey again Amillano -- Basically different ammunition will impact your target at different points, all with the same sight setting. This leaves a couple options for sight adjustment. Shoot a few rounds and slide your stepped elevator up or down until your sight is putting your ammunition on your point of aim. The other option is to shoot the same ammunition every time. Now you can adjust the height of the front sight to correspond to your rear sight leaf, (i.e. choose a step in the elevator) for a basic sight "zero". Often this is done with the step on it's lowest notch, and a point of impact with your particular ammunition at 50 yards, corresponding to your point of aim. The extra steps in the elevator will allow for longer ranges by elevating the rear sight leaf. Again a little experimentation is in order to see where your point of impact varies with the particular ammunition you are shooting. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind
    Amillano and msharley like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I think you might be over analyzing the whole situation.

I have mine set up to shoot 3/4" high at 50 yards which puts it about dead on at 100 with the ammo I like.

Choose your favorite ammo, and adjust the ramp until you get similar results and you'll be happy. If you change the weight of your bullet or ammo, you may have to adjust it a notch or two.

With some experimentation you can probably click it up for longer ranges but it will depend on your rifle as to how much, etc.
    Amillano likes this.
    John

Team Old Phart #86
    Team 39 #61
    Team 30-30 #95
    Team 1894 #121

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links