Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Uberti 1873 45 colt and pressures?

11K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Dave Bulla 
#1 ·
I am getting one of these and wish to know if I can load the 45 colt same pressures as my blackhawk 45 colt.

It would make life simpler.

Any input?

#2 ·
As long as you don't go crazy, it should be okay. I have one, but I use it for Cowboy Action and only shoot light Cowboy loads in it. I doubt if that toggle-link action is anywhere near as strong as a Blackhawk is. I have heard of hot loads stretching the receiver on them to the point where the headspace gets out of whack. Then you have a real expensive wall hanger!

#4 ·
The 73 was not made for +P loads. You will have to stick with standard 45 colt loads only.

#5 ·
The only thing holding that action closed are the little pinkies on your hand. There is no cross bolt anywhere in the design -- something which all later lever gunz employ for strength and safety.

While Uberti frames are pretty well hardened, the basic design of the toggle link action puts a lot of force on the (very small) pivot points for the toggles. An issue with any toggle links action is the peening of the pivot points in the frame and on the bolt. Any peening at these locations immediately affects the headspace of the rifle.

Uberti barrels are pretty soft compared to most modern firearms.

I have four Uberti 1873 rifles. The are absolutely the best rifle available for going fast in cowboy competition. They are not modern in any sense and would not last long by using high pressure loads. Stick with <15,000 psi ammo for Ubertis.

#8 ·
Hey Pop,

Are you talking Uberti rifle or revolver? You mention the Ruger Blackhawk so I'm not sure.

If by chance you are talking about a revolver, I'd be interested in hearing more about it. A coworker just tonight offered to sell me a Uberti 357 revolver for $175. 5 1/2" barrel, case colored frame and brass trigger guard. Supposed to be in real good shape and barely shot.

Don't want to hijack the thread, so if you aren't talking handgun, disregard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.