+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sidewinder
    Member #

Marlin vs. Rossi

Hi guys. I've been thinking about getting in the Cowboy Shooting thing and am looking at either a Marlin 1894 or a Rossi R92. I realize I will need to invest a bit in both to smooth things out, new sights, etc. I have 3 Marlin lever guns now, so this is mostly a Rossi question. Any good feedback weighing the pros and cons of each would be appreciated.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Marlin vs. Rossi

Hey there okc-jimbo -- I'd take one Marlin over two Rossi's any day of the week. I've got some gun leather for sale down in the classified section that would work good for you as well, if it would fit you. Best regards. Wind

Sidewinder
    Member #

Thanks Wind. 1894 Cowboy or round barrel? I think SASS is ok with either.

Sweet rig by the way.

Sidewinder
    Member #

A Rossi was my first SASS gun. I have nothing good to say about it.

A Marlin was my second SASS gun and it got me through about five years before it fell behind.

Are any of your present Marlins model '94s ? If so, you're good to go. Gun must be a pistol caliber.

If you buy a Marlin, you'll always have your investment in addition to a functional firearm. If you buy a Rossi, you'll have neither.

Was that direct enough ?

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Hey again okc-jimbo -- That's a kinda funny story. Started the game with a Winchester 1892 rebored to .357. Ran it a couple years and broke the firing pin. Following Monday ran out and bought a 1894cs to take it's place. Dialed it in and shot it at the following Sunday's match. Saw an 1894 Cowboy Limited at that match and ran out Monday and bought one of those!! Ran that rifle for at least 10 years without a hiccup. Main match gun as well as pistol caliber long range. Probably 20,000 rounds at least. Eventually slid over into a Winchester 1873 with a 24" barrel. Love the looks and feel of the '73, but I was way faster with the box-stock Marlin. If you get the CS you can nip the magazine spring a little and get it to hold ten rounds of .357 length bullets. Can't say for sure on the other calibers. I do think that if it says .357 magnum on the barrel (or.44 mag) then load cartridges to that length, even if they are only a .38 Special or .44 Special power factor. It will save you some grief. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

Sidewinder
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by August
    A Rossi was my first SASS gun. I have nothing good to say about it.

A Marlin was my second SASS gun and it got me through about five years before it fell behind.

Are any of your present Marlins model '94s ? If so, you're good to go. Gun must be a pistol caliber.

If you buy a Marlin, you'll always have your investment in addition to a functional firearm. If you buy a Rossi, you'll have neither.

Was that direct enough ?
    Quite direct. No more questions. Unfortunately (or not) I have a 336BL, 308MXLR, and an 1895STBL so I'll need to buy another.

Tinhorn
    Member #

I have a Browning 92 in .44 an model 1866 in .44 and 2 of the CB Limited in .44 (Chuckeroo) did an action job on one and I did the other. I'll take the marlins any day. We have another Marlin .44 that my wife shoots in CAS an it just a plain jane that T-Bone slicked up for her and she loves it. It hits light so she has to use Federal primers to bust em every time, but it runs a good as the shooter can run it. We gave $250 bucks for it at the very first cowboy shoot we went to.

Sidewinder
    Member #

SASS rules allow 25-20 for main match rifle. I occassionally use my 1894 cl just for a change of pace. It has been fitted with a full length mag tube and will take 10rds. I get some interesting comments when my brass gets dropped at the unloading table...........

Vic
    AKA High Road, SASS 75137, ROII, SUDDS 237

Tinhorn
    Member #

I'll bet you do................ but most of us wouldn't mind having one of them Victum.

bull3540

Marlin with an octagonal barrel, hands down over any '92 reproduction. I used my CBC in .45 for 6 years of shooting CAS before the factory firing pin broke and so far that is the only mechanical problem I've ever had. If you can shoulder both the CB and the CB II Limited with it's longer barrel to see which one you like better then do so. The 24 inch barrels are no longer made but everything else id the same, plus I think the longer barrels are just cool.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links