+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: NEW MARLIN 1895 CB 45/70....DISAPPOINTED

Tinhorn
    Member #

NEW MARLIN 1895 CB 45/70....DISAPPOINTED

I just picked up my new Marlin 1895 CB 45-70. I bought it on the web Jensen Arms in CO at a good price ;no dealer in my area (CT) could get one. The blueing job is beautiful but I am quite disappointed with the wood. The forearm finish in spots is quite rough and the stock is not evenly finished. I called up Marlin and they suggested sending it to the factory in Ilion, NY and they would evaluate it and possibly replace the stock. Has anyone had a similar problem or any suggestions? Does anyone have any contacts at the factory? Thanks.
    rono likes this.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."-- George Orwell

Sidewinder
    Member #

Re: NEW MARLIN 1895 CB 45/70....DISAPPOINTED

I found a nice little 1894CL in 32 -20 and grabbed it in spite of a bad finish. There was a grain streak that was very open and rough, that had soaked the factory finish in and actually left ridges. I scraped it down and refinished with an an oil finish. It took months but it really pretty now.
    JJK

Tinhorn
    Member #

i always perfered the look of the antique era stocks and forearms. there are several companies that reproduce the older designs. I usually swap out the new with the old bill

Tinhorn
    Member #

Thanks guys.
    I am going to send it back to the factory as the customer service guy suggested. Lets see what the "new" Marlin company i.e. Remington, does with the gun. I will, of course, keep you posted.

By the way Bill, what companies produce older design stocks and forearms for the 1895? Thanks,
    Tony
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."-- George Orwell

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

The butt stock fit on my '09 CB was less than appealing. Call them and tell them you want new wood sent to you. Tell them you it is hunting season and you do not want to be without your rifle so you do not want to send your wood back to them and then wait for new wood.

I did and they did. That was earlier this year though before North Haven was shut down. It was Remington customer service that took my call however.

Be warned though, the new butt stock isn't much better than the first one was.

I personally would be loathe to send a gun back right now. I don't think the dust has even settled on the equipment they shipped to Illion. Not to mention the fact no one at Illion has any experience with these rifles.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Eli,
    I know what you mean but I'll be damned if I am going to start tinkering with a gun I just paid good money for. I'm not looking for a custom stock and forearm, just a presentable one. Remember, the gun was produced by Marlin in North Haven. Shame on them for letting something like this go out.

I don't think ( at least I hope not) that the people at Remington are morons. They have been producing guns for sometime now, so I think they should hopefully get it right. I have two Remington shotguns and their woodworking and finish are excellent. We will see what happens.

Tony

Really Short Fuse Administrator
    Edmond, Oklahoma - That's just North of the Red River Team .444 Charter Member
    Member #

Uh oh.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/
    MO Member #77

Drivin my life away... Cowpoke
    Member #

I started to try to explain the economics of it...but never mind.

FWIW...I have had good customer service from Ilion, NY...but Remingtons "service centers" (the gun shops they let do warranty work) have been a nightmare every time.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by FARSIDE
    Eli,
    I know what you mean but I'll be damned if I am going to start tinkering with a gun I just paid good money for. I'm not looking for a custom stock and forearm, just a presentable one. Remember, the gun was produced by Marlin in North Haven. Shame on them for letting something like this go out.

I don't think ( at least I hope not) that the people at Remington are morons. They have been producing guns for sometime now, so I think they should hopefully get it right. I have two Remington shotguns and their woodworking and finish are excellent. We will see what happens.

Tony
    Well, good luck with that. I hope it turns out dandy for ya, I really do, but keep in mind it was Remington running the show when your gun was produced. It was Remington that required a gun to made every 130 seconds. It was Remington who started putting shims in ill fitting stocks rather than just putting a good stock on the rifle. It was/is Remington that is sending out plastic shims to fix rail issues on SBL's. It was Remington disregarded decades of solid production experience in favor of speed and quantity.

I don't think the people at Remington are morons either. Nor do I think the Marlin employees who were forced to disregard all of the very practices that made them so successful deserve any shame. I think Cerberus is attempting to squeeze every penny out of these companies they can get and by necessity that is going to mean cutting corners.

Oh, incidentally, no one at Remington knows anything about these rifles. They got a couple weeks training. The average tenure in the Marlin service center was around 25-30 years. They are all out of work now.

No way I'd send my rifle to Illion unless there was no chance I could fix it on my own.

Your rifle, your call though. Like I said, I sincerely hope to come back to this thread soon and see a good write-up from you on how pleased you are with the service.

Tinhorn
    Member #

I guess I'll be the guinea pig! Rifle went out yesterday. I'll keep you all up to date.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links