+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Tinhorn
    Member #

Re: Any Hope for the 1894 CB Rifle in .327 Federal magnum ?

Excellent news! Eagerly anticipating the range report, but I realize that list will be a priority.

Sidewinder
    Member #

I have been home a month from Afghanistan and finally got a "range pass". My son and I had a hoot shooting the Marlin 1894 32 Magnum that was converted to 327 Federal magnum. We shot it at 50 yards. Brockman's did the job and functioning was great, he also put the sights on. The range faces due south so we had problems with the sun in our eyes. My groups were strung horizonally, I attribute that to the sun. By the way that red diamond is "real little" at 50 yards!!
    Functioning and feeding operation on the marlin was very reliable and with more practice I am sure I can tighten the groups up.
    My wife bought me a S&W K-32 my wife had bought me two years ago. It was sad it took two years to get to shoot it. I included a comparison picture of the .327 versus the .32 long. We had the range to ourselves and got to practice good marksmanship, gun safety and checking out the targets frequently. My son got pretty good calling his shots. We also verified our zero's with our deer rifles, both are in 270. He outshot me, with a 1 inch group.

Wrangler
    Member #

I picked up a second one with this project in mind. My wife (she loves these rifles) and I are having some debate over the future collectibility of these rifles. And, the effect the conversion would have on the value.

I'm guessing the barrel now has some additional markings. How did he do? One thing I always hated was a fantastic custom rifle that looks like it was relabeled with a hammer and die set.

I'd rather not change the external appearance at all. They still shoot .32 H&R. I see no safety concern. Then I can see someone 75 years from now lamenting over his long chambered .32 and the idiot that tampered with the chamber.

Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: first, a right to life; secondly, to liberty; thirdly to property; together with the right to support and defend them in the best manner they can.

Samuel Adams

Team .35 #375
    Team .30-30 #375
    Team .38-55 #16
    Team .45-70 #475
    Team 1894 #175

Team Rossi #25

Tinhorn
    Member #

Welcome back, Peyton! Nice rifle :-)
    Last edited by Ray P; 11-25-2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: typo

Sidewinder
    Member #

I recommend Brockman for this conversion, also there are no markings indicating a conversion was accomplished. My FFL commented on this plus I gave it a good looking over. The changing of the sights helps me a lot, I could never shoot accuratly with the rear sight that was on the barrel. Plus the regular peep rear and front sight with the protective "ears" is what is on all the military bolt action rifles.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I just received my 1894 Cowboy 32 H&R. I have had a 327 mag chamber reamer and I had just chambered my 1894 to the 327 mag. It took about 5 minutes and the 327 cycles though the 1894 like it was made for it, that's without doing anything to it except chambering it. The 32 H&R thru the cronny was about 1150 fps and the 327 just shot at 2135 fps. Its awesome.
    It seems to me that the 1894 32 H&R cowboy is built like a tank and seems that it can handle the 327 mag OK, but that's just an opinion. I believe most modern firearms are built at a 5 to 1 safety factor. The only weak point that I can see is that the breach bolt is only held in place in its lockup position buy the finger lever itself, which is not as strong as a Winchester 1892 where there is a solid bolt that is slid up into a perpendicular angle to the breach bolt. (Winchester is a much stronger action)

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Sad but need and want aren't always available

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I checked the brass and the functioning while firing the .327 it fed, fired and ejected with no difficulties. What was the steps you took to get the reamer to fit? I never had a marlin apart that is why I am asking. I am borrowing one to convert my S&W 16-4.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Peyton
    what had to done to get the 327 to cycle. Mine wont clear the mag tube
    when you work the lever. Any help would be apreated. Thanks
    fess

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    It appears that Marlin won't be making a 1894 in .327, because they're not making any CBs at all anyway, so conversion is the only solution, if you want it. So far as value or collectability, that diminishes also with conversion, kind of like sporterizing a Mauser. May be nice, may shoot great, you may love it, but if you're thinking resale somewhere down the line, I'd think twice.
    Looks like fun shooting.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links