1894FG

Thread: 1894FG

Tenderfoot
    Member #

1894FG

Hi guys,
    New to this forum. Been posting for a while on Leverguns, Sixgunner and ruger.
    Got a problem. I bought a new 1894FG. Immediate problems with feeding. The rounds, of all lengths and construction, would strike the upper edge of the chamber and either chamber with some reluctance or jam at that point. I polished everything polishable in the action and did not improve the problem. Returned the gun to Marlin. The relieved the sharp edge on the chamber mouth, polished the chamber and returned it.
    Now it seems to want to chamber but I can't be sure because it allows two rounds to feed from the magazine and the carrier catches the rim of the second round and jams the gun to the point that I have to take a pocket knife and release each round from the carrier to get it unloaded. As long as I only load 2 rounds it works fairly well. Three rounds and I have a jam. I called Marlin and they offered to allow it to be returned but I requested a new carrier to try before I give up hope of using the gun for deer season this year.

Any thoughts?

Sidewinder
    Member #

1894FG

I had a very similar problem with mine. It would jam and it would put a mark in my brass about 1/8" from the base of the brass where it was hitting. I called Marlin and they had me send the rifle in. I complained of the action not being very smooth, the jamming, and brass being marked when attempting to chamber. Marlin replaced the barrel, lever, carrier assembly, and did a full action job on the rifle. It came back as slick as any lever rifle I've ever experienced. The accuracy was much improved upon return, too. The turn around time was right at three weeks, but it was vacation time for them. Further, Marlin will reimburse your shipping expenses, if you request it.
    Rich
    Lead, Follow, or get the hell outa the way.

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Life DAV, VFW, ARPA

Tenderfoot
    Member #

1894FG

squid,
    I found this
    <http://marauder13.homestead.com/file...NG_M_1894.htm>
    and my Marlin has all the symptoms. I hope the new carrie will fix the problem. I have corrected the lever flaw as shown.
    Update.
    I got the new carrier and installed it. Stopped the double feed or as I now understand what's called the "Marlin Jam" but it still wanted to throw the rounds too high. Someone has posted about the extactor being a problem. I ran several round through slowly and watched the extractor. Several rounds did not slide under the extractor until the nose of the bullet contacted the edge of the chamber. I polished the extractor nose and radiused the recieving edge. For the first time since I bought the gun I ran ten round through with no jam and no hesitation.
    I haven't fired it yet but I think I'm on the right track.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

6pt-sika

1894FG

I'm not having ejection or extraction problems ,but the accuracy leaves ALOT to be desired ! I fooled withit one day on the range with about 12 different handloads . When I got home I cleaned it and it has been in the safe eversince . Guesse it's about time to give it another chance !

Wrangler
    Member #

1894FG

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika
    I'm not having ejection or extraction problems ,but the accuracy leaves ALOT to be desired ! I fooled withit one day on the range with about 12 different handloads . When I got home I cleaned it and it has been in the safe eversince . Guesse it's about time to give it another chance !
    The .41 mag is a cartridge that takes some testing to find out what she likes. Check out some of my previous post and you'll see the good, bad, and ugly.
    hat's an X

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

1894FG

6pt,

Make sure your barrel is clean, mine was full of rust and rough spots. I scrubbed the rust out and ran some medium jacketed rounds through it and the accuracy seems to have improved somewhat.

My accuracy really improved when I got my front sight remounted after it flew off during my first firing. Funny how that works... :shock:
    Define 'integrity'

6pt-sika

1894FG

Quote Originally Posted by RV Stallard
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika
    The .41 mag is a cartridge that takes some testing to find out what she likes. Check out some of my previous post and you'll see the good, bad, and ugly.
    Had to 41 MAG pistols and they were nowhere near the pain this rifle is .

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links