+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sidewinder
    Member #

357 Marlin, open sights or scope?

I shoot better with a scope than a peep sight (old eyes). Yet, the 357 Marlin is a light, short rifle. A scope looks and feels out of place. Do you scope your 357 Marlin or not?

Tinhorn
    Member #

It will be pretty split on this issue, I think. That's probably because it's comes down to personal preference. From a practical standpoint, I think it's hard to argue that generally people can shoot better with a scope. Aesthetically, I don't think a scope adds much to a lever-gun, but guns are usually used to shoot, not to look at. At most distances you will shoot with your .357, both sights will provide very good results, provided you can see what you are shooting at, and this is where the scope pulls ahead, especially in low light. My eyes are still pretty decent, but the scope gathers light that a peep sight won't. If you are hunting this is significant since you will likely see deer in early morning or in the evening. I put scopes on my levers, but I drew the line with my 1894 cowboy model. It has a tang mounted peep sight. If you shoot better with the scope, I say go for it. You might want to look into a scout scope setup, as they carry a little better.

Wrangler
    Member #

Granted now, I'm young, and my eyes are still great. With that said, I detest a scope on a handy lever action. It just takes away from the whole aspect of hunting with a fast handling, quick pointing lever gun.

Untill my eyes dictate differently, I'll only use iron sights on my Marlins.
    quealing rabbit, sneaking predator, 357 rifle, and frozen fingers. It just don't get no better than this!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I mounted a WGRS on mine. Scopes just look wrong on an 1894.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Just my opinion, but a 357 doesn't need much scope. So I'd use a scout scope set up using a pistol LER scope, maybe a 2 power.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

If you need it - you need it, have to agree with the pistol scope and 2x will allow you to keep both eyes open and quick pickup of what you are shooting at.
    BOT GBUSA, Charter member team 444.
    Life member NRA, Life member WAC.

Deadeye
    Member #

Aperture sight. If I wanted a club, I'd get a bolt-gun!
    Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." R. L. Stevenson

Shooting with Hobie

Tinhorn
    Member #

I'm just curious but what size are your groups at 100yds using open sights? I wear glasses and my vision is terrific with them (20/10 last visit to the doc!) so I chose to use open sights. Most hunting I do with mine is rarely over 100yds mostly 40-70yds. Putting scope on any rifle will make it easier to hit with but on a lever action rifle I refuse to put one on them. It seems to take away from what they were designed for. I find the challenge of using open sights to fulfill what I need to get out of hunting. I found using a scope over the years took some enjoyment away from the sport. It takes a lot of practice to be proficient with open sights though but to me it is more rewarding to take an animal while using them. A lot of guys tell me around here I should scope my .357 saying I'll be more accurate. But, when I bring my target back and they see how tight the group is from 100yds they don't say anything anymore!! Bear in mind that I do handload and these loadings are hand picked as well. However, I like getting my point across to these scope lovers!! Good luck in whatever you choose. But honestly I feel a scope takes away the look and balance of a lever action rifle. However, you owe it to your game to be as accurate as you can be.
    linching due to heavy recoil, is only a state of mind!

Tinhorn
    Member #

I've got receiver peep sights on my Marlins but I wouldn't have second thoughts about putting a scope on either of them. It depends on what you want to use them for. Do you need to sight game quickly or are you going to ventilate paper on a range?
    Knerr is right. Aesthetics are fine, but the purpose is to hit your target.

Tinhorn
    Member #

I have been using my 357 Marlin for plinking. The fiberoptic red bead is great. I have even put a peeper on(mine is drilled and tapped) and fold down the rear blade. This little rifle is a delight. Remove the aperture and you have a ghost ring(kinda).
    My problem is vision. I prefer a scope(1x4 Leupold) for hunting to ensure a well placed shot on game and to see antlers.
    The Leupold low power and compact scopes change handling a little, but make up for my poor vision and extend shooting time by 20 min in the thick.
    MUZZLEDUSTER

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links