+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

What Happened to the .32 Mag Rifle?

What happened to the .32 H&R Magnum Cowboy rifle? Now they are not even on Marlin's website. Did it die for lack of interest? If so, it is a shame and they are still offering the .32-20, but it is not a Cowboy model.
    eo.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Personally speaking, I'd have bought one in a flash if it wasn't for having to load the tube instead of having a loading gate.

If I was rich instead of so darned good looking, :lol: I'd take a 1894CL and rebarrel it to 32 H&R Mag.

GLC
    Wrangler
    Member #

100 grain lead and 3 grains Titegroup is wonderfully accurate out of mine out to 50 yards and quite pleasant to shoot.

85 XTP's over 11 grains of H110 at 1500 fps are great for varmints and very accurate even past 100 yards.

Super rifles, shame they were not more popular. Easy to reload for, cheap to shoot, and a whole lot of fun. I'm sure in a few years they will be sought after by those that didn't get one while they were in production.

I've got thousands of rounds through mine and wouldn't part with it.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt

Platinum Poster
    Member #

Is the 32-20 a replacement for it maybe?? Straight Stock and all.. Not a cowboy listing but under 1894 models..
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Platinum Poster
    Member #

Thanks.. I am not up on the old calibers or even the Cowboy SASS thing.. I do like the rifles though..

the 45/70 Cowboy still is one impressive looking rifle..
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Site Contributor - Team Marlin Express Capt'n Super Moderator
    Member #

I learned my lesson with the 218 Bee. If you are interested buy it!! You can always sell it later. Took me 16 years to get a 218 Bee. These rifles are only in production for a year or two, then something different gets offered. get them while you can
    IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KILLED IN ACTION 23 APR 07, AGE 19, MUQUDADIYAH, IRAQ.

Tinhorn
    Member #

I know this thread is a bit old now, but thought I would add to it anyway!

The Marlin 1894 32 H&R is interesting. It was one of those "dream" combination that "many" SASS folks were all on the band wagon for - kinda like the Ruger 32's. SASS even sent out questionaires (I got one) on behalf of manufacturers asking for input on what shooters wanted to see produced. The 32 H&R was at the top of the list, and Marlin announced that they would produce it. Then there was some discussion about whether it met certain SASS requirements, ie: was it a copy of an original Marlin rifle etc. Lots of discussion about that tube magazine! In the end, it was approved for SASS competition and everyone waited for it to arrive. I had a buddy that waited 9 months before he got his, but they finially did get them out. Now it would appear that all of the folks who wanted one were fewer than everyone was led to believe - including Marlin!!! :shock: In truth Ruger ended up selling fewer 32 than they had hoped, and I don't believe they are currently listing that pistol on thier web site either.

As for the rifle, I had a chance to run one for a couple of stages, and it is a peach of a little rifle! Lots of fun to run! I hope Marlin does not drop it from the lineup for long. I think that there are many shooters outside of the CAS community who will buy and enjoy it. In any case, anyone that wants one had better move now!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

>and it is a peach of a little rifle!<

Yes, I bought one, along with a pair of the Bird's-head Rugers, for my granddaughter ;-) and it is a really sweet rifle. I have loaded it with 2.4 grains of Bullseye under a Desperado Cowboy Bullets 96 grain RNFP and it shoots sweet in the rifle and both revolvers. For the bullet, see www.cowboybullets.com . I like their stuff as they work well with black powder and smokeless.
    eo.

GLC
    Wrangler
    Member #

I don't shoot SASS matches but I waited 15 months for mine. I ordered it because it was a really interesting caliber in the levergun and guaranteed to be a relatively short lived offering and collectible. I should have bought two and left one in the box unfired. I think the biggest problem with the 32 CB was that it took so long to get into the hands of the consumers. I believe that the market was limited to begin with and the wait for production killed the interest.

I'd love a Blackhawk in 32 HR but they are very hard to find and pricey. The Vaquero doesn't interest me due to lack of adjustable sights for real target and hunting work.

Still, my 32 CB is a keeper and I'm thoroghly pleased with it. Only gripe, the front loading tube magazine rather than the traditional loading gate in the frame.

Good shooting.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt

Sidewinder
    Member #

It took us over a year to find a .32 Magnum Marlin. We are not Sas shooters but small game hunters and the little Marlin is proving to be a good walk around rifle. It was worth the wait for this one. I do agree it was very difficult to find a .32 Magnum Marlin rifle.
    We have a “herd” of .32 Magnum handguns and this rifle is a good companion for the handguns. I believe the .32 Magnum rifle is a better small game rifle than either the .32-20 or .25-20 (we have several of each in both calibers) as they kill well without tearing up the critters.

If you think the .32 Buckeye Blackhawk was hard to find you should have been hunting for a 4” S&W M-631 Kit Gun in .32 Magnum. The Buckeye was easy to come by for us as it was well publicized at the time of production and we were watching for it. The S&W Kit Gun was not announced and we had to really scramble to get hold of one before the collectors bought them up.
    Eventually, it may turn out the Ruger SSX Bisley was the best of the production guns chambered for the .32 Magnum. Few handguns are as easy to hit with as the .32 Magnum Bisley.
    We have a 24” .32 Magnum TC barrel and the Marlin 1894, both make great small game rifles. We had no difficulty adapting to the magazine tube loading port. I was a bit put out by the lack of receiver sight holes on the 1894CB. The new Williams receiver sight for the 1894 Marlins is unacceptable as it hangs over the rear of the receiver and the hammer. The Lyman receiver sight is best suited for the low velocity, high trajectory, small-game rounds as it is more easily adjustable (quickly, simply) for elevation in the field. The decision by Marlin to stop drilling the 1894 for the conventional receiver sight may have been good for the company but it would have been worth $5.00 additional cost for the basic rifle to me to have the holes in the receiver. I ended up with an XS receiver sight and Sourdough front that work well out to about 60 yards.
    Slim

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links