+ Reply to Thread

Contributing Member
    Member #

.44 Henry Cartridges

Stu Miller wrote the Cartridge Collecting column for Shooting Times back in the 60's. Here is information on the .44 Henry from the August 1962 issue.

( 1.) .44 Henry pointed ( 2.) .44 Henry Flat, long case ( 3.) .44 Henry Flat, short case
    ( 4.) .44 Henry blank ( 5.) .44 Henry Shot ( 6.) .44 Henry, brass case, centerfire

"New head stamps were showing up in the .44 Henry cartridges, made by most of the American companies. With a bit of hunting, you can secure the following raised markings: "A", "P", "U", "US", and "H." Lately I have seen this caliber with a raised "C" that is said to have been of early Canadian manufacture. These, along with the new head stamp type, and the later impressed "U", "H", and "US", make an interesting, historical set.

The new Winchester company was quick to realize the possibilities of the '66 as a military gun. The U.S. Army was not interested, so Winchester sent salesmen all over the world to sell the rifle. The new South American countries proved to be a good market. Turkey, then at war with Russia, purchased some 50,000. While ammunition was sold with the guns, it seems probable that at some time the Turks must have made some of their own ammunition, but who has seen any?? Eley Brothers of London, seems to have turned out quite a quantity of this cartridge rather early, marking them with a large raised "E."

There were few variations of the .44 Henry and there must have been some dummies made for demonstrations, but aren't often seen. The most common is the shot cartridge. These are found in both the long-formed case, and regular length case, and the shot in a wood container. One of the selling points of this last type was that the shot didn't come in contact with the rifling of the barrel, eliminating leading. Actually neither was effective except at very short range.

The long-formed case is also found in the blank cartridge. Recently I had a report of a round ball gallery load in this same type case. These were said to have been made on special order for Ira Paine, world famous pistol shot of the last' century. In these, the round ball is seated deep inside the case and covered with a cardboard wad.

Long after the '66 was discontinued, there was one final type of gun and cartridge brought out. In 1891, Winchester, using parts on hand, assembled some 1,020 Model 1866 carbines which had been converted to centerfire. These, along with the proper brass-cased centerfire cartridges, were sold to Brazil. Such was the "one night stand" of the .44 Centerfire Henry Flat.

There were two drawbacks to the .44 Henry rimfire ammunition. Because of the soft copper case, it was impossible to load it to the power desired. Then, once the cartridge was fired, it could not be reloaded, So, the company decided the next Winchester was to use a reloadable brass center fire cartridge with more power."
    Enter the '73 Winchester.........

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf (black powder)
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 WCF, .30WCF, .44WCF cartridge historian
    TEAM 39A member #108
    TEAM 1894 member #125
    TEAM 30-30 member #311
    TEAM 45-70 member #563

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Re: .44 Henry Cartridges

Thanks 30wcf! I've always been interested in the Henry rifle and it's cartridges because they lead in to my favorite the 44 WCF.
    Marlins in 44-40. Whacking varmits since 1888

Team 44-40
    Team 1894

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links