Marlin Firearms Forum banner

What is this weird cartridge?

5K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  clawed 
#1 ·
Found a few of these yesterday while out hunting, what the heck are they? Some sort of industrial tool cartridge?

They appear to be belt-fed rimfire-type and looks like .17 caliber on the business end:

Brass Tool accessory Metal
Brass Finger Hand Metal Button
Finger Hand Nail Thumb Ear

See less See more
#5 ·
Looks like some kind of sub caliber device that accepts a primer and a .177 pellet and will feed through a magazine. I dont understand the off center primer strike, though.

#8 ·
A homemade "reducer"? For plinking with your kids in a real rifle without too much recoil maybe?
It looks like it could shoot a .17 caliber rimfire in a .30-06
"Instickspatron" like the one below is used here for firing .22LR ammo in shotguns to kill small fur animals caught in traps that catch the animals alive

#9 ·
The rimfire primer is made by Eley. What chamber could that possibly fit? It's not an insert, not for any normal rifle. I thought it could be a custom fleschette cartridge but still, for what gun? Can you tell what caliber the top parent case is.

#11 ·
You don't USUALLY throw those things away... A typical reducer thingey like that may well run $20-100 each...

That sucker looks like a 223 shell reducer that shoots rimfire...

Poke the shell back out and find out what's in it... 17 HM2?

I bet there are some poachers hunting at night... That's how they stay quiet...

#14 ·
#15 ·
high tech paintball? interesting rounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.