Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Easy Deer Hind Quarter Cooking

13K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  georgeky 
#1 ·
Years ago I got this recipie out of a Farmers Almanac so I can't take credit for it I can just share it. You need a large roasting pan with a lid. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Take a hind quarter that will fit in the pan with the lid shut and after placing it in put about 2 inches of water in it. Half about two or three onoins and drop them in. Sprinkle generously your favorite meat seasoning on the meat, cover it and pop it in the oven. Let it cook for two hours at 350 degrees and then back the heat down to about 180 to 190 degrees. Either go to bed and let it cook all night or go to work and let it cook all day. When it comes out let it cool for a bit and then pull the meat from the bone and eat it like it is or chop it up and add your favorite BBQ sauce. This works with any type of roast. There is a warning involved, after a few hours the good smell from your oven will drive you nuts.

#3 ·
It sounds great, but I'm out of deer hams. Our season ended New Year's Day, and we grind all our hams into burger if we don't have a good reason to do otherwise....I hope I can remember this next fall!

#4 ·
I have an extra one. Run on over here and I will fix you right up with one. I never grind my hams. To many good steaks/roast there. Just have to seperate every muscle and get the funky stuff off.

They also come out very good cooked in the ground. I have a pit out back I dug 8 years ago to cook deer in. Just needs clening out once in a while. My boy is trying his luck with a bow now. If he gets one we may cook it in the ground and start a new thread about that. They come out so tender they fall off the bone. All the game taste is gone. Works great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.