Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Rolling & Smoking a Fattie...

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Big Poppa Pump 
#1 ·
I've rolled and Smoked a fattie .

NO... I didn't get high. :rolleyes: :p
NO... I didn't mug people outside the local weight watchers. :D
What I did do is treat the kids to a flavor explosion. I cooked a "chilli-cheese" version of the fattie in the link for dinner tonight.

• 1lb Pork sausage
  • 1lb bacon
  • Chili to taste (I put too much and it's a mess)
  • Cheese to taste (about 8 oz works well)
  • Chopped onion (optional)

The kids like Hormel chili so we used that, but I'm going to make one for me later this weekend either without chili or with Mrs. Parallel's chili.

Place the 1lb of sausage into a 1 gallon Ziploc bag and roll it flat and even with a rolling pin. Be sure to get the air pockets out as you roll.

Prepare a bacon weave on parchment paper...

Cut open the Ziploc bag and add the chopped onion, chili and cheese being sure to keep it away from the edges so it can seal...

Start at one end of the Ziploc bag and use it to roll the filled sausage like a sushi roll. Then, place the sausage roll on the bacon weave and roll it as well. Seal the ends using a butter knife and smoke at 350° indirect until 165° internal temp.

I overdid it a bit but I don't think it will matter except that some of the filling leaked out.

After a ten minute rest. It should have rested for at least fifteen minutes as it was still hot enough to ooze filling when cut...

Money Shot! Protected from the hungry masses by H&K p7.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm on my way and I've got the beer...any left? :eating::eating::eating::eating::eating:

#3 ·
Man ...... That looks like it belongs in Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. I'm sending it to my daughter who's doing the Chef thing for approval as a pre game meal for the Ravens vs Texans on 09/22.

#5 ·
my wife is on the way to the grocery store and we are going to try thislooks good

#8 ·
Thanks y'all.

I've decided that I'm going to do a breakfast fattie tomorrow for brunch. Because I want the kids to eat it I'll keep it simple; probably just precooked tater tots in the center with layered scrambled egg and cheese inside the sausage and of course wrapped in bacon.

Also, I have a brisket in the refrigerator soaking up the flavors of the rub that I'll be smoking over night tomorrow night. A 14 lb beast that I figure should take right around 20 hours.

#13 ·
Roughly how long did you leave it in the grill. I have a Weber that I use natural Cowboy Charcoal. I was going to move the charcoal to one side and the fatty to the other side to accomplish the indirect cooking.

#18 ·
The Breakfast Fattie worked out great. I over cooked it a little because I was using a Weber Silver with Cowboy charcoal and had to do a little guessing. I piled the coals on one side and the Fattie on the other side of the kettle. I also could not roll it quite as neat as you did but it was close enough that it sealed. Everyone liked it. I made two and I'm going to cook the second one on Wednesday. I'll just check the internal temperature sooner. Thanks for your recipe.

Reactions: Parallel
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.