+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Bourbons

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I drink all whiskey straight. Of course I don't drink everclear!!!
    LT likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    NCHooch's Carolina Bourbon, but sour mashed. Really hits a sweet spot after about 3 generations.

/for those who roll their own...
    LT and unclesarge58 like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by holtkasg View Post
    NCHooch's Carolina Bourbon, but sour mashed. Really hits a sweet spot after about 3 generations.

/for those who roll their own...
    A sour mash is the same as a bourbon.... some goofy law dictates that only a sour mash from Kentucky can be legally called a "bourbon". If it's from anywhere else, it's a sour mash. Jack Daniels is a prime example....
    Mikewood and Walstr like this.
    Never judge anyone by the color of their skin... unless their spray tan looks really bad

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    Wild Turkey.

One of the only bourbons out there still made with non GMO corn, too.

But it was my favorite before almost all of the other distilleries switched to GMO.
    "Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another." -Proverbs 27:17

"In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise." -Proverbs 10:19

δύσκολα τὰ καλά

Team .45-70 #191
    Team .35 Rem #468
    Team .30-30 #75

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    A sour mash is the same as a bourbon.... some goofy law dictates that only a sour mash from Kentucky can be legally called a "bourbon". If it's from anywhere else, it's a sour mash. Jack Daniels is a prime example....
    Not all bourbons are sour mashed, although "sour mash" only applies to bourbons. Other distilled spirits have their equivalents, of course, like a dunder pit for rum. Best to get a good culture of lactobacillus going.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    Sorry but a sour mash is very different from a fresh or sweet mash. A fresh mash is a sanitized process where very tightly controlled yeast strains are allowed to propagate. Like most beer or wines. Sour mash by contrast has wild strains blended with brewing yeasts and barrel or mash reintroduced batch to batch in a far less controlled manner. It's closer to a Belgian ale and if you smell or taste the mash even tastes a bit "off". Just to be complete Vinegar would be the far extreme of this.
    holtkasg, hcdistad and WVMaddog like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikewood View Post
    Sorry but a sour mash is very different from a fresh or sweet mash. A fresh mash is a sanitized process where very tightly controlled yeast strains are allowed to propagate. Like most beer or wines. Sour mash by contrast has wild strains blended with brewing yeasts and barrel or mash reintroduced batch to batch in a far less controlled manner. It's closer to a Belgian ale and if you smell or taste the mash even tastes a bit "off". Just to be complete Vinegar would be the far extreme of this.
    I think there are two things going on. First, there are a lot of flavors in the backset that get recycled and amplified - and this is independent of any wild strains. Then you can have wild cultures like lactobacillus that add flavor (the sourness), and the extra generations help.

We're taking this thread off topic though.

Back on track: Pendeltons 1910 Rye Whisky is amazing. It's a bit sweet, but just about as smooth as I've tasted.
    Last edited by holtkasg; 01-31-2013 at 11:23 PM.
    LT, Roundup and AlaskaDawg like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    BTW: Pendletons 1910 is Canadian Whiskey, but still delicious. I guess I fail at getting the thread back on topic.
    LT, Roundup and AlaskaDawg like this.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    LT,

You are right on with Old Weller. The 7 year old 105 proof is amazing quality for the price. Blanton's is good but I prefer Rock Creek for small batch quality at a good price. If someone is buying or giving me a gift, Bookers is fantastic.

BourbonEnthusiast.com • Bourbon Reviews • Old Weller Antique
    LT and unclesarge58 like this.
    "And some like two guns. But one's all you need if you can use it..." - Shane

Team .30-30.....# 572
    Team .45-70.....# 180
    Team .38-55.....# 9
    Team 1984.....# 119
    Team 39A.....# 261
    NRA Life Member

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by holtkasg View Post
    Not all bourbons are sour mashed, although "sour mash" only applies to bourbons. Other distilled spirits have their equivalents, of course, like a dunder pit for rum. Best to get a good culture of lactobacillus going.
    Sorry, I meant to say that "sour mash" seems to apply to whiskeys, not just bourbons. Bourbon doesn't have to be from Kentucky though. As for the Jack Daniels, this is from their Wikipedia page: "Although the product generally meets the regulatory criteria for classification as a straight bourbon, the company disavows this classification and markets it simply as Tennessee whiskey rather than as Tennessee bourbon." Too many weird laws to keep them all straight. In my mind, a whiskey is a whisky is a whiskey, whether it be from Kentucky, Tennessee, Scotland, Ireland, Canada, or Japan.

As for real bourbons, I generally like Elijah Craig and Bulleit, although the best I ever had was a special edition bottle of Woodford Reserve - the master distiller came to my town's liquor store and was sampling several single barrel whiskeys. It was all the same batch, but aged in different barrels (all charred oak though - they all looked the same), and the differences between the barrels were amazing. Picked the barrel I liked the best and bought a bottle.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links