+ Reply to Thread

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Marlin Model 9 camp carbine

I've just learned of this weapon within the past few hours. I'm looking fora rifle that will eat the same 9mm as a pistol. Sounds very much like a weapon I'd like to own. So, owners, how do you like them? Whats a reasonable price I can expect to pay for one? Where's the best place to look for one? Are magazines hard to find?

Thanks!
    Team 60 #14
    Marlin League #141

Deadeye
    Member #

Re: Marlin Model 9 camp carbine

I own both the 9mm and .45acp Camp guns, like them both the .45 is a better shooter but the 9mm is plenty good.
    magazine interchange with the S&W 5900 series 9mmpistols (the camp 9 that is) not hard to find at all.
    price-wise expect to pay a pretty penny but it should'nt be much if any more than a Kel-Tec or Berretta 9mm carbine and lot less than an AR 9mm.
    gunbroker or auction arms, guns america are good places online to check for them

Sidewinder
    Member #

I bought my Camp 9 new in the mid 1980's. It sat in the closet for years till last year when I took it out to shoot it. Iíve since replaced the recoil buffer and installed a Wolff 16.5 lb recoil spring which will make the Camp 9 safe to shoot +P ammo, which I havenít done yet.

Two things to look for when you find one. Cracked receiver which can be caused by the original recoil buffer crumbling into pieces. New Blackjack Buffers are available, are the most recommended, and should be the first thing you do if you by a Camp 9.

I think they sell for around $450 these days. Gunbroker.com is a good place to look for them. S&W Model 59 magazines work perfect in the Camp 9. They are easy to find. They are fun to shoot. Feels like a bigger 10/22.

Here is a video I did recently when I replaced the recoil spring. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rF3eeRThLw
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo

Team 1894 ~ Member# 135

Wrangler
    Member #

PM sent

Contributing Member
    Member #

Don't know if you found one yet, so for what it's worth...

Two local dealers in my part of these great United States have one on their shelves. One is an "As new, in the box" (doesn't look to have been fired, but probably was I'm sure) nickle Camp 9 w/the pressed checkered stock. Don't know the year of manufacture, as I didn't pay much attention to the numbers, but his price was around $440-ish & he's firm. He just aquired it.
    The other is the standard blue & it has the plain stock. The dealer that has this one was asking a bit more last I checked, but it has been sitting on his shelf since last year, so he may be willing to move. PM if more info is desired.

Have to say, suprised you just learned of their existance...as for me, I have a '91 Camp 45. Love it. Reliable as an anvil.
    Fan of all things .45 caliber,Marlin Levers, Gibson Gee-tars & Triumph Motor-Sicles
    State Cert. Instructor on Select Fire/Tactical Assault Rifle, Semi-Auto Pistol & Shotgun- Ret.
    Team 45-70 Member #560
    Team 60 Member #72

Tenderfoot
    Member #

My Camp 9 hasn't given me any problems, except running out of ammo. It had two Pro-Mags when I bought it, but I have since added to my stash a 5900 S&W mag found at a local pawn shop for about $16 and an OEM 20-round Marlin mag that I paid $30 for at a gun show. The Pro-Mags don't allow the last-shot-hold-open feature, but the 5900 and Marlin mags do. If you can get a Camp 9 in good condition, you probably won't be sorry. Just make sure the recoil buffer and spring are adequate.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Mec-Gar makes reliable 20 round magazines for the S&W 59 that work perfectly in the Camp 9.

Plenty of stuff about the Camps in the forum. Biggest issue is stock cracking just behind the receiver. Most common upgrade/improvement is a heavier recoil spring (Wolff) and aftermarket buffer (Blackjack).

They work, they're fun, and can serve in quite a few roles.

Other 9mm carbine options are...
    Beretta Storm. Nice. Pricey. Some take M92 mags.
    AR-15 in 9mm. Mags can get expensive. Some builds aren't terribly reliable.
    Kel-Tec Sub-2000. Looks cheap, works great. Folds in half. Variants use Glock, Sig, Beretta or S&W mags.
    High-Point. Yeah, but believe it or not their carbines are actually decent.
    Ruger PC-9 (discontinued). Reliable. Some had heavy triggers. Ruger P-series magazines.
    Mech-Tec CCU conversion for a 1911 or Glock lower. Way too much fun. Pricey with options.

Tinhorn
    Member #

There is a guy locally (Seattle area) selling a beater Camp 9 for $250. It's rusty, but otherwise looks good in pictures. I've asked if there are pits in the barrel.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Nickle Camp 9 Dealer name and location?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker59 View Post
    Don't know if you found one yet, so for what it's worth...

Two local dealers in my part of these great United States have one on their shelves. One is an "As new, in the box" (doesn't look to have been fired, but probably was I'm sure) nickle Camp 9 w/the pressed checkered stock. Don't know the year of manufacture, as I didn't pay much attention to the numbers, but his price was around $440-ish & he's firm. He just aquired it.
    The other is the standard blue & it has the plain stock. The dealer that has this one was asking a bit more last I checked, but it has been sitting on his shelf since last year, so he may be willing to move. PM if more info is desired.

Have to say, suprised you just learned of their existance...as for me, I have a '91 Camp 45. Love it. Reliable as an anvil.
    Hello Rocker59,

Would you please tell me name and location of the dealer you know of with the Nickle Camp 9 Carbine with checkered stock?

Thank you,
    GwendaLyn
    Last edited by GwendaLyn; 04-28-2012 at 01:08 AM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links