+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Replacing the Recoil Spring in A Camp 9

Sidewinder
    Member #

Replacing the Recoil Spring in A Camp 9

I bought my Camp 9 new around 1984. Wish I knew where the receipt was. I shot it a little, then it sat in the closet for a number of years as I quit shooting for a long time. Almost 3 years ago now, I got the gun out and shot it a little, and quickly got back into shooting, and have added more new guns in the last 3 years than my entire 65 years. It was only when I joined this forum that I learned about the Blackjack Buffer. Put one in a couple of weeks ago. I also learned about the Wolff 16.5 lb recoil spring which I just installed.

I video taped the process starting off by shooting 10 rounds of Winchester Ranger on camera, breaking the gun down, replacing the spring, then putting 10 more rounds of Winchester Ranger on camera to see if it tossed the brass any different. It looks like the brass was ejected equally with both springs. I thought the stiffer spring might inhibit ejections. Iím happy about that. Then I put 10 rounds of Blazer Aluminum thru it, and the ejections were a little weaker, but the gun still functioned perfectly.

I just uploaded the video. While this may not excite many, it might be interesting to new and prospective Camp 9 owners. It would also apply to Camp 45 owners. Comments discussion welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rF3eeRThLw
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo

Team 1894 ~ Member# 135

Tinhorn
    Member #

Re: Replacing the Recoil Spring in A Camp 9

I use the 21# recoil spring in my Camp 9. It still works 100%, even with more lightly loaded ammo. Like yours, mine seems to throw the brass just as far as it did with the much-weaker factory spring...

Sidewinder
    Member #

I was hesitant to even put a stronger spring in, and after all my reading, decided to try the 16.5 lb spring. The charging handle is stiffer than with the factory recoil spring. Feels better. I have read that the 16.5 lb spring is for the Camp 9 and the 21 lb spring is for the Camp 45, but apparently, they are interchangeable as Iíve read about a lot of people using both on the Camp 9.
    Gary

Team 1894 ~ Member# 135

Deadeye
    Member #

Because the Camp Carbines are a blow back bolt design one must balance the recoil spring weight with the power of the round fired. Too little spring and you can crack the stock or hurt the reciever/recoil buffer. Too much spring and you may not cycle the bolt. I have read of a shooter that uses the 10 pound spring for sub-sonic (low pressure) loads. That being said the Camp 45 have more chance to crack the stock with the stock 10 pound spring than the 9mm. I use the 16.5 for the 9mm and the 21 pound spring for the 45. I also have a composite stock for the 45. I think the 21 pound spring is overkill for the camp 9. Just MHO......

Camp Carbine stocks are getting real hard to find lately.
    Marlin .45 carbine likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mush
    Too much spring and you may not cycle the bolt.
    That was my concern about installing a stronger spring, but I did a fair amount of reading here before I did it.

What really surprised me was that the 16.5 lb spring in the Camp 9 makes it ok to shoot +P ammo. I always thought the chamber in the Camp 9 wasnít designed for the extra pressure of the +P loads.

Iím thinking of picking up a box of +P ammo to try it out. All I have is some +P+ for my Glock, and Iím not shooting that stuff in the Camp 9.
    Gary

Team 1894 ~ Member# 135

Deadeye
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wingspar
    What really surprised me was that the 16.5 lb spring in the Camp 9 makes it ok to shoot +P ammo. I always thought the chamber in the Camp 9 wasnít designed for the extra pressure of the +P loads.

Iím thinking of picking up a box of +P ammo to try it out. All I have is some +P+ for my Glock, and Iím not shooting that stuff in the Camp 9.
    Page 1 of the Camp 9 Owners Manual in RED lettering states:

WARNING: Do not use ammunition designated "9mm +P+ in this rifle.

So you can shoot +P ammo. Remember that is with the Factory 10 pound recoil spring.

When I was flying they had us read the manual before operating the machine. Did that change?

Deadeye
    Member #

I replaced the factory spring in my Camp 9 with next one up - 16.5? IIRC
    standard ammo never 'bobbles' and the +P 124gr loads I roll are uber reliable so far - around 250 rds downrange.
    shot it yesterday MOF. pulled the Red Dot and used the irons just for fun at 25 and 50 yd targets. fast, aimed fire practrice.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin .45 carbine
    I replaced the factory spring in my Camp 9 with next one up - 16.5? IIRC
    standard ammo never 'bobbles' and the +P 124gr loads I roll are uber reliable so far - around 250 rds downrange.
    shot it yesterday MOF. pulled the Red Dot and used the irons just for fun at 25 and 50 yd targets. fast, aimed fire practrice.
    I was consistently hitting an 8-inch steel plate at 50 yards, iron sights easily with the old factory 10 lb spring and the new 16.5 Wolff spring. In fact, while doing it, I noticed it felt a lot like shooting at the steel plate with my 10/22. Just a tad bit more recoil.

Next time I order more ammo, Iíll stick a box or two of +P into the order. Should make it fun to shoot. For now, Iím shooting 115 grain Blazer Aluminum cause we have a ton of it, and it cycles just fine. Brass doesnít get tossed as far as the Winchester Ranger NATO tho, but I wouldnít expect it to.
    Gary

Team 1894 ~ Member# 135

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I am in the process of fitting my "9" barreled action into a new Boyds lamnated stock. Since I installed a new Blackjack buffer and 16.5# recoil spring in my carbine, I have fired it approximately 150 times. When I disassembled it to do the stock upgrade, I noticed that the bolt imprint on the buffer was pretty apparent. The buffer is still in great shape, but I was just surprised at how much it was impacted with only 150 rounds of 115 grain/5.3 grains of Unique, loads. Sooooo, when I finish the new stock and re-assemble the carbine, I will be installing the 21# spring. And as long as it is reliable with that spring, it will stay in the gun.

Deadeye
    Member #
    There was a member a while back that shot sub-sonic ammo and reported his Wolff spring (can't remember the weight) would not allow the rifle to cycle. He went back to the 10 pound spring for subsonic ammo. Using the 16 lb spring I have not had any problems with my light reloads. I have not tried subsonic loads though.

As far as 9mm Camp carbine penetration I used Hollow point medium hand loads into 9 inches of stacked dry phone books. At 50 yards, the bullet went 7 inches into the phone books and had a wound channel almost the size of a golf ball. As a comparison I also shot a M1 Carbine with FMJ into the phone books and it went in almost 9 inches - the hole was just the size of a 30 caliber bullet.
    Marlin .45 carbine likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links