+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Colt pre-ban 6601 with auto sear block

Sidewinder
    Member #

Colt pre-ban 6601 with auto sear block

First and formost I would like any info on the Colt pre-ban 6601 H-Bar 5.56 with the sear block.( This not the Delta model)
    Are these rifles worth buying and what are they worth in like new condition
    Last edited by HeadHunter234; 11-27-2011 at 12:54 PM.
    NRA Honor Roll
    600 Yard Club # 234
    Team Old Pharts # 58
    Ohio Hawg Hunter
    Retired Union Iron Worker Voting for Romney / Ryan
    To have and not need is a whole lot better than to need and not have...................!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Colt pre-ban 6601 with auto sear block

AR parts are parts... the only difference with the Colt Big Pin rifles (and I have one...) is the fire control group and the receiver mounting pins. Other than that, pretty much everything else is AR. Mine doesn't have the sear block, though.

There are ways to get rid of the sear block (I don't belive it is illegal, you are not modifying it to be full-auto or anything) if it becomes an issue. If it's an H-Bar, it's probably just as accurate as my H-Bar... it's all in the barrel.

I would think the value would be less than a non-sear blocked AR, that really limits you on using just the Colt BCG. If it's really that new, I would think $500-700 range.
    HeadHunter234 likes this.
    "You must train, everyday!" GM Kong Young-Il

"There’s no getting around the fact… you’re a real likeable guy. But… well, I also think you are the most hapless, lazy, disorganized, and in general, the most lecherous person I’ve ever known in my life."

Sidewinder
    Member #

Charie98 I wish I could find them for $500 to $700 but not here in Ohio, ( No AWB's here) so why are they all going for $1500 and up, (it must be because there is something or some reason people won't let go of them) other than they are a Colt which is top tier and seems to be the best right out of the box. If you want to sell yours for $500 to $700 I'll take it a heartbeat ,I can double my money overnight LOL. Thanks for the advise
    NRA Honor Roll
    600 Yard Club # 234
    Team Old Pharts # 58
    Ohio Hawg Hunter
    To have and not need is a whole lot better than to need and not have...................!

Member #

Head Hunter, they are probably going for that because people are paying it. And because of that prancing pony.

Offer what Charlie said, see what they say.

Jon
    IITimothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
    In order: Marlins 1894C, Golden 39M, 1894CSS, 1894 .45 Colt, 795, 1894CL .25-20
    Team 1894 Member #29!
    Team 39 Member #18!
    Marlin League #8!!

Member #

Haven't had the greatest luck on my ranges with Colts. I honestly believe that people are paying more for the name than any performance gains.

If you're getting it for an investment or to round out a collection then great. If you're getting it for accuracy, reliability and performance then there are PLENTY of other manufacturers that will equal or surpass it. Almost always for less coin.

Member #

As I've said before... my Colt is a fine rifle, but it's not All That and a bag of chips.

HeadHunter, you may be correct... I just went on to GB and there is a pre-ban H-Bar w/sear block running at $950 right now, but that's about the highest one (that actually has bids on it.) I just don't see it, though. 'Colt' carries some value... in rifles or pistols, so I guess if you just have to have a prancing pony on it, you are going to pay.

I still think $700 is a realistic figure, but your mileage may vary. And maybe I'm missing out... I live in Texas where I don't have to worry about the pre-ban nonsense, I sure as heck wouldn't be paying a premium for a rifle with a sear block.
    "You must train, everyday!" GM Kong Young-Il

"There’s no getting around the fact… you’re a real likeable guy. But… well, I also think you are the most hapless, lazy, disorganized, and in general, the most lecherous person I’ve ever known in my life."

Sidewinder
    Member #

Charlie98. I know where your coming from , Iguess I will keep looking and maybe find another deal, I just know the guy will never take $700 for the thing , It sure is in good shape ,in fact i've yet to come across a used one in that nice of shape (looks new) Thanks Guys
    NRA Honor Roll
    600 Yard Club # 234
    Team Old Pharts # 58
    Ohio Hawg Hunter

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Super Moderator
    Coastal Missouri across the water from The PRI.
    Member #

A co-worker of mine sold his full-auto Colt M-16 awhile back after I sold him one of my semi-auto S&W MP-15's. He got a ton of money out of the Colt, but he said the S&W was "far nicer, better fitted and a lot more accurate".

Yes, the Colt name will often bring a bit more money than other names............but personally, I'd pass over the Colt for several other makes if the price was the same. Rock River and a few others seem to be FAR better guns, IMHO. The S&W, for the money I paid, may be the best deal going these days. With a new Timney trigger and a nice Redfield scope, I've still got under a grand in it.
    "There is a fine line between a hobby and Mental Illness". Dave Barry

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847

Sidewinder
    Member #

The Colt probably has the inherent accuracy to be somewhat competative for DCM matches, but it probably isn't equiped to be highly competative.

For Service Rifle matches About the best "out of the box" match ready package comes from Rock River Arms in their National Match rifles.

The Colt features a 1:7 twist Chrome Lined bore HBAR barrel, and says nothing about whether or not the barrel is free floated or not. It also does no specify the trigger type, or sight increments of adjustment.

RRA rifles come with a 1:8 twist Stainless Steel match profiled barrel with an air guaged bore.
    This means it will stabilize bullets up to 80 grains, has a consistent bore diameter throughout and has been tested for bore trueness. The profile is actually a bit heavier than a HBAR under the handguards to add some weight and reduce the rate oftemperature changes in the barrel during a string of fire. The barrels also feature a Wylde chamber, which is tighter at the shoulder, but more generous elsewhere. It is a match chamber but will accomodate .223 and 5.56 ammo safely. This can be important in military sponsored matches where 5.56ammo is used. Guys with .223 chambers have experienced blown primers getting into the fire control group and blowing a timed or rapid fire string when using 5.56 77gr SMK ammo provided at the matches. This is due to the higher pressures of the rounds. Stainless steel is easier to rifle more precisely and consistently, where chrome lining is dificult to have done with the sams consistency.

RRA uses DCM style freefloat tubes that accomodate standard rifle handguards to fit the NRA Service Rifle rules while still allowing the shooter to sling up tight for sitting and prone shooting without putting pressure on the end of the barrel and causing shifts in Point of Impact. Since most matches are fired at 200, 300, and 600yds, these shifts can be quite large in a non floated barrel, and high tension sling use is needed to be competative at the longer ranges.

RRA provides Match sights with 1/4 or 1/8 MOA adjustments, a hooded peep rear sight with a fine diameter apperture, and a fine front blade. Repeatable adjusments are needed for logging sight adjustments in the shooting log book and maintaining a record of sighting dope changes at each range, and in differing wind and light conditions from competition to competition, facility, to facility, and distance to distance.

RRA includes a two stage match trigger that is adjusted to be within the 3.5 lb pull limit of the NRA rules. I've had three of these triggers and all have tripped at 3.7 to 4.1 lbs. They prestage at about a pound and a half, and have a crisp letoff. The hammer is light weight and provides quicker lock time to improve accuracy.

No other manufacturer includes all of these features in a match rifle package at the same price as RRA.

If you want to spend a little more then you can buy a White Oak match rifle. They use a higher grade of match barrel (Kreiger, Douglas, Hart or Leijla usually). They offer 1:8, 1:7.7, 1:7 twist rates. Their rear match sight is modified to use double bearings to keep the sight true throughout elevation changes.

Most shooters though would be well served with the RRA and once they learn to shoot it to it's limits, they could upgrade their upper to a White Oak.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Colts are good but there are better out there. The pre-ban is a ploy to get more money out of a rifle. The colts manufactuerd with the sear block are registered as are all serial numbers with the manufacturer upon compleation. Before I cut or modified the rifle lower I'd check legal on that. It may cost you if caught with a illegal modification
    Team 30-30 #350 Team 32 Special #5 Team 45-70 #373 Team 35 Rem #273 Team 1894 #162

336 30-30
    336CS 35 Rem
    336C 35 Rem
    1894 Cowboy Carbine Limited 45 colt
    1894 Cowboy Carbine Limited 41Mag
    1895 45-70 XLR
    1895G ported 45-70
    1895 45-70

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links