+ Reply to Thread

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Home built AR-15 lower ??

I ran accross these a few months back and then kinda forgot about them. What I am talking about is 80% complete AR 15 lower castings they are offered by several companies such as OSI Gunsmithing.com and TheTannery.com. There may be others? They can be mailed strait to you and no FFL is required as they are not finished. You drill a few holes and finish up a few things and you have a AR 15 or AR 10 lower that you built and as far as I have read no need to register and they are perfectly legal. I do not believe it is legal to finish them for resale, but you can finish them and use them yourself. So does anyone else know anything about them??, Have you used one?? Have you seen one?? Know anything about the legallity issues involved ??
    Lord, I'm not a violent man , but the guns in my hand !!
    Christian, Conservative, gun-owner and I make no apologies for it!
    mulemangunworks.com
    Team 45-70 #165

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Super Moderator
    Coastal Missouri across the water from The PRI.
    Member #

Re: Home built AR-15 lower ??

Something doesn't quite sound right about this........a receiver has to have a serial number, or Uncle Sammy won't let it be until it does. If you're buying something un-numbered, then it's not finished, and if you do they final finishing and make it into a working gun, now you're a firearms manufacturer, subject to taxation and a gazillion laws that BATFE will be happy to shove up your keister if you dare transgress.

Sounds dangerous............or a trap. Make haste slowly. :P
    "There is a fine line between a hobby and Mental Illness". Dave Barry

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn
    If you're buying something un-numbered, then it's not finished, and if you do they final finishing and make it into a working gun, now you're a firearms manufacturer, subject to taxation and a gazillion laws that BATFE will be happy to shove up your keister if you dare transgress.
    You took the words right out of my... keyboard. A firearms receiver is a firearms receiver whether you are 'finishing' it or it is finished. If that's what the end product is it will be subject to BATFE laws. Were that not true everyone and their brother would be 'finishing' receiver kits.

My thoughts... you can buy a new AR lower for $80 and be done with it. Why risk jail time for something as nebulous as an 'unfinished receiver.'
    "You must train, everyday!" GM Kong Young-Il

"There’s no getting around the fact… you’re a real likeable guy. But… well, I also think you are the most hapless, lazy, disorganized, and in general, the most lecherous person I’ve ever known in my life."

Tinhorn
    Member #

I believe you can build a gun for yourself but not for resale. What you are referring to is called an 80% receiver. There's plenty of info out there. Here's something I found but you need to do your own research:

What is the legality of completing an 80% receiver?

Folks are always concerned about this. A lot of misinformation is floating around out there about building your own guns. Many FFL's aren't even sure about the legality of such a thing. The question of their legality was posed to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms about this.
    The short answer is, if you can legally own a pistol, you can legally complete an 80% pistol frame. Ie, 21 years old, and could pass a 4473 plus background check. (John M. points out that an 18 year old can own a pistol but can't buy one, so it may be possible for an 18 year old to make an 80% pistol, depending on state & local laws.) Rifle 80% frames must meet the rifle requirements (18+, 4473 or local equivalent, etc) There's no Federal requirement to register it, your state may vary on their interpretation, however. Also note that you have to comply with federal and state laws concerning the type of firearm you eventually build, ie, you can't put preban features onto an 80% frame, since none of them were preban models. Pistols have certain legal requirements depending on the state you live in.
    www.southernoutdoorlife.com

Tinhorn
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie98
    My thoughts... you can buy a new AR lower for $80 and be done with it. Why risk jail time for something as nebulous as an 'unfinished receiver.'
    I agree. Not on the risking jail time necessarily -the assumption is that all laws would be followed- but I wouldn't waste my time fooling with trying to make my own when they're that cheap. That's just me. Some folks like the challenge of DIY though.
    www.southernoutdoorlife.com

Member #

Did some research on these 80% kits a while back and they seem to be legal. As long as they are for personal use and not being manufactured for resale. You can buy the 80% receivers directly from some manufacturers with no transfer paperwork whatsoever besides a basic bill of sale.

While a cool concept, the biggest issue is the additional tooling and such you'd need unless you're already a machinist with access to those tools. Some require some milling, precision drilled holes, ect. There are aftermarket companies that sell you the various jigs and templates that allow an average Joe/Jane to do most of the work with his drill press.

So, the price for non-machinists quickly surpasses what a basic complete stripped frame goes for. All hope is not lost however. If I remember the math I ran thru back then, if a GROUP of 10+ folks bought the 80% frames and a full set of jigs/tooling, the price came out to about the same as a commercial stripped frame. The trick to stay legal is that each person must do their own work. You can't have one guy drilling pin holes in all the frames then mailing them all to another gal for surface finishing, ect.

Here are a few examples in the AR realm. There are also 'flat' kits for AK receiver builds and various 1911 styles out there.

http://www.dsarms.com/AR15-Lower-Rec...ductinfo/1001/

https://www.vbd.com//noc/shop/produc...CategoryID=104

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links