+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #

Re: Argentine FMAP (DGFM) Rosario FAL build

Got some mags in the mail today. A few brand spanking new Belgian mags, beautiful! I don't know if I'll be able to bring myself to use them

Got another box with some well worn Brazilian mags today, too. They seem to be in good working order. I'll have to refinish these guys.
    "Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another." -Proverbs 27:17

"In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise." -Proverbs 10:19

δύσκολα τὰ καλά

Team .45-70 #191
    Team .35 Rem #468
    Team .30-30 #75

Member #

Since my last update I have acquired the following:

*More mags (I have plenty, now, including 4 brand new condition Belgian mags!)
    *The Indian mag catch arrived and is in new condition, thanks to L/FN over at the FAL files.
    *Pin gauges for headspacing from MSC
    *US made steel cocking handle slider from DSA (had to wait on this, was backordered, just arrived recently)
    *US made handguards from DSA, appear to be comparable in quality to the original
    *Barrel shoulder shaving tool and barrel timing tool from Randy Nott (aka Ggiilliiee, see here: http://community-1.webtv.net/ggiilliiee/)

So now I have 4 US made parts: magazine floorplates, cocking handle, pistol grip, handguards. 3 more to go. I'm planning to get a Tapco gas piston, Smith Enterprise Vortex flash hider, and maybe a Falcon trigger.

Other things left to acquire:

*Paint
    *Headspace gages
    *Barrel vise
    *Action wrench

Okay, I really need to find my camera, this is getting ridiculous I'll definitely take some pics along the way of building it, even if I need to borrow a camera for it.

I want to shoot this thing already. I look at all the parts sitting in the drawer almost every morning

"In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise." -Proverbs 10:19

δύσκολα τὰ καλά

Team .45-70 #191
    Team .35 Rem #468
    Team .30-30 #75

Member #

Bump, since we've been talking about FALs some, recently. Haven't done anything with this guy, yet. Handled a fixed buttstock FAL the other day and hated how difficult it was to reach the charging handle left handed. I figured out that that first FAL I handled was a Para model with the folding buttstock. Apparently those Paras work okay left handed, must be a shorter length of pull, but with the fixed buttstock (as is the case with my kit), it's definitely a no-go, have to contort my shoulder all weird just to reach the charging handle, and when I finally get there it has my arm at an awkward angle such that it feels really weak doing what it needs to do. Really sad because I absolutely love the feel and sight picture of this rifle. Oh well, between my M1 Garand and AR-15, I figure I'm set, anyway.

Only thing that bothers me is when I look at the parts I still drool But I haven't even built it, yet.

So I'm thinking that with the money that selling this FAL will free up will let me do a couple things...one I'm thinking I want a backup full sized carry pistol...in my day to day life that's a lot more important right now. I'm doing IDPA recently, and that's had me doing a lot of thinking. I'm kind of starting to like Glocks for the first time, especially now that they came out with this 4th generation with the adjustable backstraps and reversible mag release (great for me as a lefty, makes the Glock basically a left handed pistol). Carrying a Kahr has had me change my mind on pistols without external safeties, and plastic framed pistols, too (I shoot that little thing lights-out, better than my 1911, actually...).

That and I was just reading an article in a MilSurp magazine the other day about how they sent off their CMP M1 Garand to James River Armory for a restoration job for $360. Sounds pretty cool. They repark all your metal, and fit a new black walnut stock that is a nearly perfect reproduction of what would have been on your rifle when it was new, including cartouches and S/N matching (they put their own cartouche inside so that it's not a forgery). I was thinking about doing that, or maybe just a repark from Shuff's Parkerizing (I've heard good things about his work, and just the repark is a good bit cheaper...$125...and my stock isn't in terrible shape). The parkerization on my M1 is looking a little worn...

So I'm trying to gather up the courage to list my FAL stuff this weekend. I might need some encouragement, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak

δύσκολα τὰ καλά

Team .45-70 #191
    Team .35 Rem #468
    Team .30-30 #75

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links