+ Reply to Thread

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Pyrodex question

Yesterday, I found a near full can of Pyrodex "P" that I bought about a dozen years ago and has been in a closet here in the house ever since. Just wondering what the shelf life is on it? I'd hate to load up one of my cap and balls with it and not have it go off due to old age or something. I opened it up and it looks good anyway.
    Marlins in 44-40. Whacking varmits since 1888

Team 44-40
    Team 1894

Site Contributor - Co-Captain Team 32 Special Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Pyrodex question

That's a good question. I know smokeless powder lasts a long time. I recently found a can of 2400 hiding behind a bunch of stuff and the price tag said $6.00. How old do you think that was? Well, I used it and it seemed normal. The loads didn't seem wimpy or erratic.

I would guess your Pyrodex is safe to use as long as the storage was fairly normal conditions i.e., kept indoors in climate controlled environment.

"In hind sight, we would have faired better armed with .32 Specials." Col. George Custer, Battle of Little Bighorn

Sidewinder
    Member #

We always have old cans donated to us at the primitive group at my gun club. We even have one of the old rectangular cardboard containers of Pyrodex P. I used some in my nephew's T/C Cherokee 36 and it still worked fine. I'd give it a go. Mike
    "Leave the gun take the canoli."

Gun Wizard
    Member #

As long as it hasn't been exposed to a lot of moisture it should be fine. I have shot pyrodex that was more than 7 years old and it worked fine. As long as it's not "clumpy". I store opened containers in a heavy ziplock freezer storage bag. Easy way to check is to pour some out and light it.

Contributing Member
    Member #

Temp and humidity (large swing) fluctuations is hard on munitions. Your Pyrodex should be just fine. Safety first as in all shooting. If a load feels weak, check for squib load. I shoot powder that has been around for a year or so alot. Friends used to give me their "old powder" to dispose of. They finally caught on that I hadn't bought powder for awhile. Have fun!!
    Nothing expresses Liberty more than, the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.

The deeper you are involved with "the system", the shorter the hairs you're had by

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Pat/Rick
    Friends used to give me their "old powder" to dispose of. They finally caught on that I hadn't bought powder for awhile. Have fun!!
    Been there too. I still accept donations though. There's always something fun to do with old powder even if you have no intention to shoot it in a gun.

I'd bought this jug of pyrodex, used a flask or two of it, put it up in a back room closet out of sight and forgot all about it until we were cleaning out the back room a few days ago. Time to see if it still makes great smelling smoke!
    Marlins in 44-40. Whacking varmits since 1888

Team 44-40
    Team 1894

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links