+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: browning a barrel

Site Contributor Wrangler
    Member #

browning a barrel

got a lyman great plains flintlock....can you brown the barrel with bleech.....how?

steve44

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Re: browning a barrel

Never heard of using bleach to brown a barrel and would like to hear more.

When I bought my old Lyman Great Plains percussion rifle back in the early 80s, it was a slightly used gun and the barrel was already browned. Still kick myself for letting it go when I went back into the Navy.
    Marlins in 44-40. Whacking varmits since 1888

Team 44-40
    Team 1894

Tinhorn
    Member #

shoot over to track of the wolf and buy a bottle of LMF rust browning better then other stuff they sell: follow the instruction you can't go wrong

DWB
    Gun Wizard Contributing Member
    Member #

Here is the MSDS Sheet for the stuff I used on mine. Birchwood Casey Plum Brown. Use it in a fairly well ventilated area, and use it with butyl rubber gloves, safety goggles, etc. The main browning ingredient is Nitric Acid and it works fairly quickly.

http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/file...rel_Finish.pdf

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Bleach will indeed brown your rifle, IT WILL CAUSE IT TO RUST!!!! Use one of the commercial browning kits. Good luck, Jack
    Jack.

This I-pad knows what I want to say and how to spell better than I do. Sometimes I catch it's mistakes, sometimes I don't.

Deadeye
    Member #

Good morning
    Strong non-diluted vinegar was what the long ago builders used. Still works today.
    Mike in Peru God Bless you.

Wrangler
    Member #

BTW.....Browning a barrel, or the "other" process of blueing a barrel is nothing more than doing a "controlled rusting" of the barrel itself.

Then, once you have that fine controlled rust completed, you keep it from getting any worse by using oil on it to keep it nice 'n purddy.

Dave
    There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right.Ē -Emerson

Tinhorn
    Member #

Yep bleach will brown you barrel .
    But it depends on what your wanting . Slow browns like laurel mountain give a different color and do not attack the steel as aggressively

Myself unless im refinishing a set of Damascus barrels I pretty much use bleach to brown or black a barrel

Now the thing to note is that you donít BOIL the barrel . Boiling gives something completely different can heavily pit the barrel if your not careful

The process for browning with bleach is basically the same as with a fast brown like Plum Brown
    WARNING : DO THIS IN A WELL VENTELATED AREA . DONT USE YOUR WIFES GOOD TOWELS OR KITCHEN RAGS AND ALLWAYS WHERE RUBBER GLOVES OR YOU WILL GET A CHEMICAL BURN

What you do is heat the barrel to the point that a drop of water will sizzle and dance on the barrel .
    Wearing rubber gloves to hold the rag . Dip you rag in the Clorox bleach . Then wipe it on the barrel . Go slow and do a section at a time .
    What you will get is a white to yellow colored build up . thatís fine . Keep going tell you cover the whole barrel .
    Let the barrel cool down tell you can hold it in you hand .
    Then und Cold water softly card the barrel . This will remover the yellow color and you will see the brown ..
    One you have the barrel carded to a smooth finish . Go back again bleach the barrel .
    You will need to do this a couple times to get a good even color . With NO pitting that looks like this

if brown is what you want then you want to heavily float the barrel with an oil . engine oil works well . but i actually like 90 weight better .
    or if im after more of a red tint then i use trany fluid ." NOT the one with detergent "
    be sure to check your barrel after a few hours and if its started to dry . put more oil on .
    after 24 hours you can wipe her down and your ready to go .

now if you want to Black/ rust black the barrel , all you have to do is boil the barrel in water .
    the water converts the red iron oxide to black iron oxide and you get this

again you follow with repeating the process , carding and then oiling once you have the depth you want

another use for bleach is in producing a French grey
    in that process you blye the barrel using a cold blue . then come back with cold bleach and rub the barrel down . the bleach will start to remove the cold blue very quickly leaving a grey color . the more you rub the lighter grey you will get .

now if you want say a Remington green . rub hard with the bleach . the resulting heat from the rubbing , gives things a green tent
    notice the difference in the barrel and the breech on this Erichson

Sidewinder
    Member #

WOW - great explanation and lovely pics too.

Thanks for sharing two feathers.

Cheers
    HS2
    1895SS - .45/70 the original One Hit Wonder!

Marlin League #40 Team .45/70 Member #55 Team 30-30 Member #310 Team ANZMO #26

Tinhorn
    Member #

i got my browning from dixies & if you use heat on barrel it works better
    just lay barrel on wood stove to lightly warm it before adding the solution
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    Thomas Jefferson
    SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links