+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tinhorn
    Member #

Re: ? I just got a Armsport 50cal Hawkins

Hi Marlin 444 , You said you have a CVA Bobcat rifle and said you put a musket cap nipple in it. I tried it on my Bobcat and found that the hammer when it fell the musket cap head didn't go in the recess hole in the hammer like the #11cap did. Is that how the musket cap nipple works? I was just wondering It just didn't seem to work right so I put the #11 back in the rifle . Any information would be great, Thanks, MikeK
    Remember Teddy Roosevelt an American Icon

Tinhorn
    Member #

MikeK
    sir
    CVA used two diffrent locks on this Bobcats .
    the smaller lock has a smaller hammer and cup . the bigger lock has a larger hammer and cup that will work with the musket cap
    the locks are not enterchangable to the stocks .

this restocked bobcat carries the smaller lock

this one carries the larger lock

so it really depends on what lock you have as to if the hammer will work proper with the musket cap

Tinhorn
    Member #

Two Feathers, thank you very much on the reply and those great pictures . I never knew that about the Bob cat rifles. I never saw Bob cat rifles like that, they are beautiful . My rifle has a wood stock but all the medal work is a blued color. Has a plastic butt plate . Very plain in looks. Was that how they were made awhile ago or are they custom ? My rifle was made around 2001. Thanks again, MikeK

Tinhorn
    Member #

from the factory the come as you describe. The older ones came with wood stocks the newer ones with synthetic . For a short time you could get them with either .
    The ones in the photos both originally came with plastic stocks and I restocked them for people . so they are custome stocks
    I used to be able to buy the bobcats for around 35.00 . Restock them and re sell them for 250.00 .
    both of the ones i posted are also slow twist barrels of 1 in 66 . the Bobcats also were avalable in a 1 in 31 twist . but thats probably more then you wanted to know

The smaller lock was called the Maslin lock and its approx 4 3/8 x7/8
    The larger lock found on later CVA and Traditions rifles is 5 1/16 just under 1 inch
    The larger is a much heavier lock as can be seen in the hammers on the guns I showed ya

Maybe this would help more .
    Now these are replacement locks made by L&R for the CVA and traditions rifles .
    But you can see the difference in size of the lock plates . they are far , far better locks then found on the factory rifles .
    The small Maslin that CVA used had a very light thin hammer . While the bigger locks carry a heavier hammer like on these L&R
    replacment L&R for the smaller CVA Maslin.
    the factory maslin though has a round back and not the small point seen on the replacment . only the early maslin carries that little point

replacment for the larger CVA

Tinhorn
    Member #

Thanks for the information, Two Feathers that's nice to know. You sure did nice work on those Bobcat's. I got my Bobcat from Cabela's a while back it was pretty cheap at the time under $100, now Rifles that were like $200 are around $500 I'm glad I bought them when I did they are too much now. I guess the fall of the dollar didn't help either . MikeK

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links