+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Deadeye
    Member #

CVA .36 Squirrel Rifle

Man, read about these in a blackpowder book and wanted one.CVA made them about twenty years ago.I was at the gun show and found the little beauty waiting for me.Mint in the box with all papers and manuals and accesories.Now shes home and I am doing my homework. I cant seem to find out what the twist rate is. So far I have only found round ball ammo but Buffalo bullet is supposed to make a 125 grain coniball type bullet.There is pistol ammo out there in .36 but the pistol stuff is .375 and the rifle ammo should be .350,I think.Also thinking about mounting a Leatherwood replica period scope on the gun(pre smokless type scope)SS

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: CVA .36 Squirrel Rifle

Have you tried looking on this site http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/index.php. The guys here are very knowledgeable. I have read a few treads there about that exact same rifle. Look under the Firearms section in the Percussion thread and in very little time they can have you hooked up.
    U.S.M.C.R. 1989-1995, Desert Shield/Desert Storm Nov 1990-April 1991
    Marlin League Member #29
    Official Team 30-30 Member #45
    Official Team 32 Special Member # 52
    Official Team 35 Member #90

Deadeye
    Member #

I thankyou sir,I will check that out. Already I can see that it is going to be a challenge finding stuff in .36 cal. I walked the entire gun show and could not find a single component in .36. The search continues.SS

Tinhorn
    Member #

Should be a 1:48 same as the .32 that I have 2 of.

Deadeye
    Member #

Thanks BG,I'm reading that 3F is the best powder for the small bores but I am seeing 2F everywhere I go.The last time I was on a search for powder it was 4F and it took six months to get it.As far as bullets it seems like round ball may be the only option. I would like a nice little maxi hunter type conical.I have heard of a 125grn in .36 by Buffalo bullets but I can't find it.SS

Gunfighter
    Member #

T/C used to make a maxiball for the 36 along with one for the 32. I had a Seneca .36 that I would shoot them out of and also used to have a Cherokee .32/.45. Wish I still had them. I beleive the .36 maxiball was 125gr and the .32 was 103gr.

Deadeye
    Member #

Wow, I would really like the maxiball.But again, things dont look promising at this point.As far as the powder, I can use 2F but the velocities are a bit lower with that powder. Back to the bullets, even if I find some Maxis, old stock is risky and must be checked.Some years ago I picked up some Maxis and headed up to my mountain cottage to work with the gun and found they had become dry.They can be relubed with bore butter though.The other problem is the weight of the conical at 125 grains.OK for coon and such, but for squirrel 60 or 70 would be good.SS

Deadeye
    Member #

Picked up some stuff at the liittle gun shop in the mountians near my cottage.They had Pyrodex P powder that should work just fine,Hornady .36 balls,prelubed patches,and CCI #11 caps.It was suggested that I might want to try converting to a musket nipple and musket caps for a hotter spark.SS

Cowpoke
    Member #

I wouldn't go to the musket nipple. The caps are hard to find and the produce no more fire than some #11s. Real 3F blackpowder is much easier to light than Pyrodex but it should work.

Deadeye
    Member #

I was thinking that the #11 caps are fine as well. The powder issue is difficult.The real stuff is very restricted and no one in my area carries it. The substitutes are classified differently and therefore much easier to ship and stock so everone stocks them.SS

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links