+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Site Contributor Wrangler
    Member #

TC triumph or trump

well I broke down and bought one of them fancy in lines that use them pellets and sabots of which I have no experience.

I cleaned it up according to the instructions that came with it, dropped a couple of those pyrodex 50 grn pellets in it and proceeded to stuff one of them sabots( a nice spire bullet with this plastic thing around it)...I'm used to a patched round ball :P.......well I liked to have never pushed that thing down to the top of them pellets

the first shot was at 25 yds with open sights...hit dead center...I'm thinking wow this is a Quality gun, so then I mounted a scope on it and bore sighted by breaking the action open and looking thru the breach plug

then I tried to load another round and couldn't get the bullet all the way down, had to take the breach plug out and drive the bullet out the muzzle, so I swabbed the bore with the TC bore with that TC cleaner stuff and finally got another round in it...hit 4" to the right at 25 yds so I cranked the scope over 64 clicks ....cleaned the bore and "fired another round"...hit 1" high right above the bull,so cleaned and almost had to beat another round in, went out to 50 yds and fired...hit 2" high right above the bull...I could have shot 20 patched round balls out of my hawken by now

What am I doing wrong, I think I'm not getting the bore clean, The vidio that came with this thing said a feller shot 250 rounds without cleaning....I doubt that... not to call anybody a lier but I sure would like to get him to show me how

steve44

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: TC triumph or trump

I don,t have any inline exp.but do shoot patch and ball.Sayin that,maybe you have do lube the sabots like you have to lube conicals in a f/lock.Sounds like you are tryin to load a dry sabot down a dry pipe.I use prelube patches and have my barrels lathered up well with borebutter and have never had a problem even after repetive shots.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by good ole boy
    I don,t have any inline exp.but do shoot patch and ball.Sayin that,maybe you have do lube the sabots like you have to lube conicals in a f/lock.Sounds like you are tryin to load a dry sabot down a dry pipe.I use prelube patches and have my barrels lathered up well with borebutter and have never had a problem even after repetive shots.
    +1, I would also lube the bore.
    Life NRA
    USN-Iron Men on wooden Ships, minesweepers.
    MSO 488 and MSO437
    Team 45-70 #394
    Team 39 #96
    Team 60 #35
    Team Old Pharts #44 "Pharty-Four"
    Life member RMEF
    American Legion

Member #

bought some power belts and they work just fine

Cowpoke
    Member #

Never lube the bore when using sabots. T/Cs have tight bores.

Member #

what do yall know about firelapping , or handlapping. I wonder if I should try something like this, might smooth up the bore and load better

syeve44

Tinhorn
    Member #

You dont need to firelapp the bore, just tight the way Thompson makes them. They make s Sabot load using the Slick load, yellow sabot that works real well, lot easier to load. The power belt bullet is great, all my wife hunts with, how do they shoot in your gun? I do extensive load workup, I am a ML fanatic, accuracy nut, do a lot of work for folks locally, even though I sold my gunshop. You might want to try Harvester brand black sabots w/crushrib. The Sabot looks like an accordion all around, and when you load the bullet and sabot, it gives som room for the sabot to crush and load easily. Gives exceptional accuracy with either Hornady Pisto bulletts or their SST ballistic tip 250 gr. for deer. One of my buddys had a similar problem with his Triump, I gave him some CR sabots for .44 bullets and he tried some out of pure lead, made them in my shop from .44 Lyman mold for .44 mag, weighed 260grns. Unbelievable accuracy, I am talking about 1-1 1/2 inch groups at 100yds for 3 shots! He has piled a truck load of deer up the last 3 years with this load. I am new to the forum, but have a lifetime of gunsmithing/benchwork under my belt, and shot ML on a local, state and Nat. level for 15 years. YOu can see my personal info on thenew guy board. Just trying to help, hollar back if you need more info. Sam.

Member #

Thanks Sam, you made feel better, I decided not to fire lap my triumph based on your opinion, besides I don't know how to do it without possibly screwing up a pretty nice gun. I have been reading about the crushed ribs and the cva slick loads and the t/c yellows and the barnes ez's, all of which would probably do the job,but all of them reccomends that you need to run a spit patch and a dry patch between shots. This is not a practical thing for me in a hunting situation. I have tried the power belts and they will work and shoot fine in my gun but the down rang ballistics are really poor and they don't expand like what I would think they aught to, I just don't like what I read about them

I talked to T/C customer service and they said ship it back and they will check it out. I told them that the sabots had some chatter marks and some little curly ques that the rifling was cutting into them, they said they would check it out and maybe lap it for me and if they couldn't fix it they would give me a refund
    steve44

Tinhorn
    Member #

Dont sell the power belts short my friend, me and the wife have killed 14 deer with them, never got a slug back, penetration through and through every shot, big exit holes. OUr shots have been from 50-150, have had very good luck. You can buy the crush rib sabots in a 50 or hundre pack. If you want some .44 lead sllugs, made from wheel weights to try, holler back and i will send you 20 or so.

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by koger
    Dont sell the power belts short my friend, me and the wife have killed 14 deer with them, never got a slug back, penetration through and through every shot, big exit holes. OUr shots have been from 50-150, have had very good luck. You can buy the crush rib sabots in a 50 or hundre pack. If you want some .44 lead sllugs, made from wheel weights to try, holler back and i will send you 20 or so.
    thanks my friend, I will keep your recomendations . I am probably going to send the gun back to T/C just to see what happens, I would like to have some of your lead "slugs" to try but I would want to pay you for them, and I will need to find me some sabots first, probably the crushed ribs, I have already tried all the others, the cva slick loads worked the best but they are too exspencive, like 2 bucks a piece. I have several 44 s and if the crushed rib works i may use the 444 ftx or the speer 3oo grn, we'll see! BTW T/C also recomended the power belts. I woul like to try hornadys FPB bullet I like the looks of it but again I have no experience yet....also I am looking into paper patching some minnies. thanks
    steve44

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links