+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: .54 cal. Hawken/Hawkin? for sale for $100?

Tinhorn
    Member #

.54 cal. Hawken/Hawkin? for sale for $100?

My brothers friend has recently fell on some hard times and is wanting to move some of his hunting gear for cheap. He said he has a Hawkin/Hawken? (Not sure te spelling or if they're two diff things.) in .54 cal.and I was wondering what you fellas could tell me about them. He said it has a nice scope on it if that tells a.thing about it. I've got a call into him to see who made it. Thompson Center, etc. etc. I think Cabela's makes one to? Any and all info you could give me would be great. I've been wanting to get into Black powder for a while now and never had the extra fundage to do so. Here are some of my questions:

Diff. in percussion and flintlock?
    Does it shoot balls, sabots, or an equiv.?
    Is this a rifle that will stick w/ me as my ability grows?
    Should I save and get a better rifle?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Site Contributor Sidewinder
    Member #

Re: .54 cal. Hawken/Hawkin? for sale for $100?

If it's a T/C Hawken, there is NO better rifle, especially for that kind of money, in BP of traditional styles...IMHO Having said that, in-line BP's are the way to go, in todays rifles, lighter, faster to load, easier to clean, and in most cases more accurate..I've got both, and love them equally, with the edge going to the Hawken, just for nostalgia sake..when I hunt, I take the in-lines... Noleman
    1895CB 45/70
    336LTDss 35Rem.
    Uberti 1873 45colt
    1895 Century 45/70
    Uberti 1866 45 colt
    Puma1892 45colt
    1894CB 45 LC
    336LTS 30/30AI
    39A 22cal.
    Win. 94 Canadian 30/30
    Win.94 Buffalo Bill 30/30

Tinhorn
    Member #

So you're saying that the Hawken is more of a traditional style gun? Wood stock brass and that whole lot? Interesting. Seems like I have a choice to make. What about the price($100) good deal?

Sidewinder
    Member #

if it is in good shape that is a good deal. as to the other questions you just cant anwer withh out knowing more about the gun. depending on the twist rate of the barre will depend on what it will shoot better RBs or conicals. a hawkins can come in either flintlock or percussion. will it stick with you as your ability grows that is up to you and what you want to do with it. for the price I dont think you can go wrong. if you dont like it re sell it and you should get your money back.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

If I could find a Hawken for that price I would be all over it like flies on stink. Have been looking for one since my wife likes to shoot muzzleloaders. Last I knew the T/C's were up there in price.
    The world is much better with a pair of calipers.
    Team 30-30 member #258

Sidewinder
    Member #

I've got a 50 cal T/C Hawken percussion from about 1980 or thereabouts. No brass or anything. Very traditional, simple, straightforward, and built like a sledgehammer. Lord knows if I ever needed to, it'd make one fine club in a fight. Very accurate even with the square notch sights. I'm sure you could put a scope on it somehow, but I never did. I've also got a little CVA in 50 cal. Very similar, but without any frills whatsoever. Paid $99 for it from Cabelas back in 91. First three shots from it with open sights from sandbags went into a 1.5" group dead on the bullseye at 100 yards. I never touched the sights and I've killed three deer with it over the years. Don't BP hunt anymore. Never have the time and we only have a piddly 9 day season in October. I'm thinking about trading my CVA for a good used crossbow.

Contributing Member
    Member #

If it is in good shape yessiree! If you don't like it you certainly won't loose any money on it.
    Nothing expresses Liberty more than, the report of a rifle shot fired in the defense of Freedom.

The deeper you are involved with "the system", the shorter the hairs you're had by

Wrangler
    Member #

You do need to have someone knowledable check the bore for you. If the bore is good, any other problems would be cheap fixes. If the bore is bad, you would need a new barrel or have it relined or recut & rifled.

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Here is the problem. There is no good way to check the bore on a Hawken. They have a fixed breech plug and MAYBE a gunsmith can check it, but it's doubtful. That's why most dealers will not buy used traditional muzzle loaders. If you are comfortable with the $100, do it, but there is no telling what shape the bore is in. One session with black powder and not cleaning the gun thoroughly can render the bore useless.

A Muzzleloader is one gun I would never buy used. But that's just my opinion.
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26
    338 MX...It's not your father's lever action!

Wrangler
    Member #

Halwg makes a good point. Those darn black powder barrels will corrode up real fast if they are not taken care of. Of course, if you have a 54 Cal Jag, and a few patches to make it fit nice 'n tight, you could run that down the barrel and see if you can feel any "rough" spots or spots that seem to "hang" on your patch.

That will tell you a lot.

OTOH, if (and you haven't told us....as you haven't found out yet) it's a T\C Hawken and the stock, trigger and lock are all in good shape, then that part (or those "parts"....again if they are T\C) are worth the $100. Then you can pick up a Green Mountain "drop in" 1-70 twist barrel (your caliber choice)http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=199252 and have a very nice and very accurate flinter.

I have a GM 50 cal on my T\C. It's one heck of a shooter.....except when I'm aiming at something I can eat. :P

Dave
    There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. -Emerson

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links