+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Thompson Center Black Diamond Nightmares

Sidewinder
    Member #

Thompson Center Black Diamond Nightmares

I have a Thompson Center Black Diamond that "wanders" as the barrel heats up from shooting the gun. The inline rifle with clean shot powder is quick to rreload so the barrel can get pretty warm when sighting the gun in. When sighting in I clean the barrel between each shot so each shot is fired under as close to the same conditions as I can provide. It does not matter if I am using a scope or iron sights nor patched round ball or TC Sabots. Using the 209 ignition system with it and it never fails to fire, but after cool down at 50 yards you can be 6 to 8 inches off from where you sighted in at, which is ridiculous. I was wondering if anyone else had had similar problems with a T/C Black Diamond or know of anyone who has? Was T/C able to correct the problem?

Outlander2
    Outlander2

Life Member NRA
    Author: Realm of the Wolf
    Law of the Wolf

Tinhorn
    Member #

I don't know Outlander. But perhaps since this is a H&R/NEF forum you could sell it and buy a straight shooting H&R Huntsman or Sidekick!!!....<><....

Sidewinder
    Member #

MSP Ret -- I don't feel right selling this piece of junk to some unsuspecting fool. I own two NEF shotguns, a .410 and 10 gauge. I would consider an NEF/H&R black powder gun and I am starting to look at what is out there again.
    Outlander2

Life Member NRA
    Law of the Wolf

Tinhorn
    Member #

Here's suggestion, next time at the range don't clean between shots, some ML's (most I have seen) like the bore a bit fouled. Try a group of 4 to 6 before cleaning. note (mark) the first shot and discount in in determining group size, then check to see what kind of a group the others make on the target. Also be sure the stock has no undue pressure on any points on the barrel. Also many ML's shoot best with about 80% of Max loading, what are you shooting for bullet and propellant and how much powder? Good Luck....<><....
    joe12180 likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #

MSP Ret -- I use 50 grain Clean shot pellets with 100 grain maximum loads, though the gun is capable of 150 grain loads. I use 240 grain T/C Sabots. I have sighted in T/C Encores, Hawkens, Renegade, Remington 700 ML, MDM Buckwacka and some off brand muzzleloader my brother bought for $50.00 and I have never had this problem before. The guns with twist rates designed for the round ball 1 in 54" to 1 in 66" all shoot a little more consistent after the first (fouling) shot. The ones designed for sabots (1 in 28" twist rate) shoot better with a patch run through the barrel each time. I am not looking for 1" groups at 100 yards. I would be happy with a 4" group at 100 yards with this muzzleloader, but I am getting 9" groups at 50 yards. I have varied between pellets and granular powder -- no difference. I went to power belts -- no difference. Took the scope off and used iron sights -- no difference. I tried 777 black powder substitute -- no difference. I have not tried throwing the gun at the target yet, but if T/C made a bayonet for it, I would consider it.

Outlander2
    Outlander2

Life Member NRA
    Law of the Wolf

Tinhorn
    Member #

Ouch!!! Thats a tough one. It sure seems as if you know what your doing and you have done it before. I would send it back to TC and ask they test fire it for accuracy problems. They are a good company with a great reputation...Best of Luck....<><.... :roll:

If you really get upset with it you can always send it to me and let me fret over it!!!....<><.... :lol:

Deadeye
    Member #

Look at how the stock is lined up in relationship to the barrel. It sounds like the barrel is touching the stock somewhere which puts pressure on it. I'd free-float it and see how that works. Also make sure everything is tight.
    joe12180 likes this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Ill take the POJ off your hands if you wish.Heck I'll even pay the shipping.I'm going to get a smoke pole this year.I had a TC ThunderHawk that some SCUM stole.I will agree the TC, although raved about, shot average IMO. Mine would always require a fouling shot first, which is not what I fiind accecptable.I would have loved to solve that puzzel but hopefully that SCUM who stole it blew it up,IN HIS FACE.When I do buy,unless you give me yoursI'll most likely go with a NEF.I read one article that had it high on the list as most accurate,third if I recall right.This was compared to guns more than twice it's cost.That ram rod problem still has me thinking but the gun I understand is a great buy.I now see Traditions has a break open type too.That one has made me wonder if this is the one I want.I believe it's new this year so who knows if it's as good as the Huntsman.They do have a light one 6.75lbs which is one of the appealing aspects of the Huntsman.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Doctor Disaster -- Unless you have red hair and a body like Shannon Tweed, I don't give anything away, even a junk gun.
    Outlander2

Life Member NRA
    Law of the Wolf

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Sounds to me its about time for a return to the maker for a little attention. From all the hunting shows using Thompson rifles and ML's you'd think they were Gods gift to Deer hunters! I had pure heck trying to get an Encore rifle to shoot, finally gave up, sent it back. It did much better after it returned, dang near shot as well as the Savage I paid half as much for.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links