Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Got to love duck season

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Leslie Sapp 
#1 ·
Switched over from deer to ducks today. Got out on the creek with the kayak and the new Browning Gold 10. I didn't have any opportunities for a shot until I decided to float down past my take out point and check one more pocket in the heart of the swamp. I drifted around the corner and low and behold, every wood duck in the swamp was there. They were about 35 yards out at that point and decided I was definitely not a friendly. Three shots, three woodies. Love the new gun, especially on those long shots in the thick stuff! Good start to the season.
Hunting

See less See more
#3 ·
I just love suzzy duck hunting. When I am hunting like that its not uncommon to encounter large bunches of wood ducks in little coves. I like to carry 1/2 dozen decoys and jump them first. Throw out the decoys and shoot small bunches returning. This helps from busting them out of their roost area's. Most times its less than 15 minutes before some birds return. If I am not mistaken they upped the limit here in North Carolina to 3 birds. I got my duck stamp this year but have not hunted yet. I gave all my decoy's to my son. Looks like you had a great hunt, thanks for sharing those beautiful birds.

#4 ·
Congrats, and nice shotgun too...

#5 ·
I watched some yesterday, but didn't get after them, as we had the dogs out for deer and were in the middle of a deer chase.
That's my favorite kind of duck hunting, jumping wood ducks from a canoe or putting on a pair of hip waders and slipping slowly down a flooded oak slough. I was in California Swamp yesterday, and there were small pods of ducks scattered throughout the woods every hundred yards or so. We are plotting an expedition against them later in the week. :)

#9 ·
Good shooting! Those wood ducks are like little flying filets, delicious! :eating:

Reactions: Survivor99
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.