+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 61
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Alaskan Brown Bear



  1. #11
    Gun Wizard
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Meridian, Idaho
    Posts
    2,284
    Member #
    14326
    Thanked
    840 times
    A lot of good thoughts fellas, keep'em coming..
    si vis pacem, para bellum


    Auxilium meum a Domino
    "My Aid Comes From The Master"
    Team 444 #269
    Team 45/70 #948
    Team 30-30 #374
    Team 1894 #274
    "a Smith & Wesson beats Four Aces"

  2. #12
    Cowpoke
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,593
    Member #
    14869
    Thanked
    1776 times
    Count me as another who likes the .444 shooting premium loads (I'd look for a 300gr A-Frame at 2100 FPS +/-, myself) as the better choice of the two mentioned. The rifle cartridge I'd choose as one with the best upside vs the least abuse from recoil would be the .35 Whelen with 225gr TSX or NP bullets @ 2600 FPS +/-. BTW, you can easily make your 30/06 into a .35W if you want. Part of the enjoyment of such an outstanding trip & hunt lies in the planning; enjoy it!
    preacher likes this.

  3. #13
    Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Enoree SC. Boonies...
    Posts
    14,288
    Member #
    15003
    Thanked
    42056 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Barenjager View Post
    Any guide worth his bear scat shouldn't/wouldn't allow shots over 150 yards on dangerous game. Your .444 with proper bullets should get the job done within that range limitation, if you do your part.

    I have a Sako Safari .375 H&H that I bought 25 years ago with the intent to someday hunt Brown Bear. I couldn't afford the hunt then...still can't...but I've got the tools necessary. Start saving now...the price of a coastal Brown Bear hunt rivals that of a new fully-loaded pickup truck.

    Roe
    Yep" High dollar hunts for sure. My only hope would be a ecapee from a blame zoo or circus or something Figure then I could get em from one the bedroom windows with whatever was handy Much as I love a big bore Marlin and if I could take a backup rifle? That would be it. But for all around big bear ,and moose and elk. And I had the resources to hunt them. Id have to go with a good shooting bolt,in 300 mag with heavy bullets. I know I can hit what Im shooting at with one. Maybe a 338 if I could shoot it well,but the only one Ive ever shot (ruger #1)rattled me around to much. Gunrunner,,
    Guns dont kill people.Dads with pretty Daughters do..

  4. #14
    Gun Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    2,030
    Member #
    5271
    Thanked
    2737 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gunrunner View Post
    Maybe a 338 if I could shoot it well,but the only one Ive ever shot (ruger #1)rattled me around to much. Gunrunner,,
    Don't take it personal. The Ruger No-1 has an elegance all it's own - but they come with crappy recoil pads. I have one in .416 Ruger and it's a shoulder thumper - even with the limbsaver pad I put on it. I would shoot my CZ 550 Safari Magnum in .375 H&H all day long - compared to the .416 Ruger. I enjoy these "what are better" threads because 30 years ago - no one would have batted an eye at using a 30-06 for Alaskan game. Boys and their toys.
    gunrunner and furlong222 like this.

  5. #15
    Gun Wizard
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Meridian, Idaho
    Posts
    2,284
    Member #
    14326
    Thanked
    840 times
    I enjoy these "what are better" threads because 30 years ago - no one would have batted an eye at using a 30-06 for Alaskan game. Boys and their toys.
    Even though I started this thread, believe it or not, that's how I feel. Just wanted to see what everyone's opinion might be. Seems most like the T4. Which is funny, if you go back a little shy of 50 years, the ol T4 was barely good enough for deer!!
    redlegagent likes this.
    si vis pacem, para bellum


    Auxilium meum a Domino
    "My Aid Comes From The Master"
    Team 444 #269
    Team 45/70 #948
    Team 30-30 #374
    Team 1894 #274
    "a Smith & Wesson beats Four Aces"

  6. #16
    Gun Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    2,030
    Member #
    5271
    Thanked
    2737 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DDS444 View Post
    Even though I started this thread, believe it or not, that's how I feel. Just wanted to see what everyone's opinion might be. Seems most like the T4. Which is funny, if you go back a little shy of 50 years, the ol T4 was barely good enough for deer!!
    It just demonstrates how much things have changed over the years.

  7. #17
    sab
    sab is offline
    Tinhorn
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    41
    Member #
    31967
    Thanked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by redlegagent View Post
    I enjoy these "what are better" threads because 30 years ago - no one would have batted an eye at using a 30-06 for Alaskan game. Boys and their toys.
    From pages 223-224 of the "Complete Book of Hunting," by Clyde Ormond, published by Outdoor Life/Harper & Row in 1962:

    Two of the best factory cartridges for brown bear are the .375 H&H Magnum, using 270- and 300-grain bullets, and the newer .338 Winchester Magnum using 200- and 250-grain bullets. The recent .358 Norma Magnum cartridge, using 250-grain bullets of suitable construction, should be a fine brown-bear cartridge. The .30-caliber cartridges are less desirable, and the otherwise fine .300 H&H and .300 Weatherby Magnums, using 220-grain bullets, should be considered minimum. Cartridges under .30 caliber, even in "magnum" power, are not adequate for brown bear under average conditions.

    And from page 287 of "Alaska Game Trails with a Master Guide; High adventure tales of fair chase with Alaska's first Master Guide - Hal Waugh," compiled by Charles J. Keim, published by Alaska Northwest Publishing Company in 1977, quoting a letter from Hal Waugh to Dr. Roy A. Schultz in 1972:

    My personal opinion is: No 30 cal. is a good bear rifle. (emphasis in the original text)

    Hal Waugh is a legend in Alaskan brown bear hunting history. Clearly, things have pretty much been the same for over 50 years...

    Regards,
    Scott
    redlegagent and 336ER like this.

  8. #18
    Site Contributor Extraordinaire & Team 444 Captain Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    10,724
    Member #
    195
    Thanked
    2196 times
    If it was me, I would CHOOSE MY 444. I would load it with the Beartooth® HardCast 330gr LFN DCG GC Boolit. I would choose that over ANY 30/06 loading.

    I would also be carrying my 41 Remington® Magnum revolver loaded with Federal® CastCore® 250gr WFN Hardcast Boolits; and a prayer on my lips.
    Last edited by Dawei; 08-24-2013 at 09:59 PM.
    336ER, mt_sourdough and joe12180 like this.


    David (
    "Feo, Fuerte y Formal")
    CW3, US Army (Ret)
    09/26/1968-05/31/1990
    Vietnam Veteran - 2 Tours

    Only two defining forces have ever died for you:
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    1Cross+3Nails=4Given


    Founder (Member# 1) of Team 444 Marlin®

  9. #19
    Gun Wizard
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Meridian, Idaho
    Posts
    2,284
    Member #
    14326
    Thanked
    840 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sab View Post
    From pages 223-224 of the "Complete Book of Hunting," by Clyde Ormond, published by Outdoor Life/Harper & Row in 1962:

    Two of the best factory cartridges for brown bear are the .375 H&H Magnum, using 270- and 300-grain bullets, and the newer .338 Winchester Magnum using 200- and 250-grain bullets. The recent .358 Norma Magnum cartridge, using 250-grain bullets of suitable construction, should be a fine brown-bear cartridge. The .30-caliber cartridges are less desirable, and the otherwise fine .300 H&H and .300 Weatherby Magnums, using 220-grain bullets, should be considered minimum. Cartridges under .30 caliber, even in "magnum" power, are not adequate for brown bear under average conditions.

    And from page 287 of "Alaska Game Trails with a Master Guide; High adventure tales of fair chase with Alaska's first Master Guide - Hal Waugh," compiled by Charles J. Keim, published by Alaska Northwest Publishing Company in 1977, quoting a letter from Hal Waugh to Dr. Roy A. Schultz in 1972:

    My personal opinion is: No 30 cal. is a good bear rifle. (emphasis in the original text)

    Hal Waugh is a legend in Alaskan brown bear hunting history. Clearly, things have pretty much been the same for over 50 years...

    Regards,
    Scott

    Not trying to argue in the slightest, but some of my thoughts were based off of this info regarding the use of a 30-06. Firearms and Ammunition for Hunting in Alaska, Alaska Department of Fish and Game
    si vis pacem, para bellum


    Auxilium meum a Domino
    "My Aid Comes From The Master"
    Team 444 #269
    Team 45/70 #948
    Team 30-30 #374
    Team 1894 #274
    "a Smith & Wesson beats Four Aces"

  10. #20
    sab
    sab is offline
    Tinhorn
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    41
    Member #
    31967
    Thanked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DDS444 View Post
    Not trying to argue in the slightest
    I should point out that I was not arguing either for or against the 30-06; rather, I was merely pointing out that the argument is far from a new one - it's been around a long time!

    I think it's an immensely personal choice, and if you're comfortable with your '06, that's really all that matters. I happen to own a 338 Win Mag, and the recoil doesn't really bother me, so that would be my personal choice.

    Regards,
    Scott


Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Some Alaskan Brown Bear photos
    By M700 in forum General Gun Related Off Topic Stuff
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-20-2012, 11:14 AM
  2. Brown Bear Video
    By M700 in forum Big Game
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-18-2012, 10:33 PM
  3. 45-70 And Brown Bear???
    By rahtreelimbs in forum The 45/70 Govt.
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 04-15-2012, 02:21 PM
  4. Brown Bear Strong
    By Golsovia in forum General Gun Related Off Topic Stuff
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-21-2008, 09:03 PM
  5. I SURVIVED THE ALASKAN BEAR HUNT--BUT SO DID THE BEAR
    By belly robber in forum General Gun Related Off Topic Stuff
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-10-2004, 06:50 AM

Search tags for this page

.358 winchester for alaska brown bear

,

358 win for brown bear

,

358 winchester brown bear

,

358 winchester coastal bears

,

358 winchester for grizzly bear

,

358 winchester load for brown bear forums

,
375 weatherby. takeing brown
,

416 ruger alaskan grizzly bears

,

best factory loads for a 444 marlin for alaskan brown bear

,

fair chase hal waugh

,

phil shoemaker brown bear hunting

,
phil shoemaker brown bear hunts forums
,

warren page 375 weatherby

Click on a term to search for related topics.