+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: New take on removal of the "Trigger flop"

Sidewinder
    Member #

New take on removal of the "Trigger flop"

Hi guyīs!
    Iīm not really sure if this mod has a place in here, but if it doesnīt, moderators can feel free to remove it I guess.

Well, first of, I really am annoyed by the trigger flop on Marlin leverguns, and I know there is a simple fix for it, the WWW trigger kit.
    But, since I live in Sweden, the cost of such a kit climbs up to around 210 bucks.
    Not really prepared to pay that for such a small thingamajig, I set out to remedy the flop myself.

I have recently modified my Marlin 308 MX to a straight grip, full lenght mag, and slimmed all the wood down a great deal, so I figured I canīt stop there, I have to go all the way...

Ok, hereīs how I did it:

Since the Marlin trigger assembly is a two piece pivoted design that is made up by the trigger and the sear, with a big gap in between them, I decided that the best way of getting the flop to go away, was to fill that gap somehow.

So, I made a small wedge, with a rectangular hole in it, that fits in between the trigger and the sear.

Hereīs all the parts layed out on my (dirty) workbench so you can see the basic contour of the small plate I made.
    I used a .055 steel sheet, and filed a wedge that is about .051 in the thicker part. The thin end is down to about as small as I could get it without it breaking.

And hereīs the parts assembled, as you can see, the wedged shape keeps the trigger to the rear position.

Iīve done all the checks with banging the buttstock to the floor, slapping the gun, I even checked the engagement of the sear to the hammer. Both with and without the wedge in place. The sear engages exactly like on the unmodyfied trigger, and I could not get the gun to fire by any other way than pulling the trigger.
    So, instead of 210 dollars, I spent about an hour of work from starting to disassembling the rifle, to finishing the reassembly of the rifle.
    And the sheet metal I had lying around, so I payed nothing for it.

The trigger flop is history, and the trigger pull feels a whole lot crisper, and even lighter to be honest! It breaks like glass, and I wonīt even have to stone the sear to get it as I want it. I like a little harder pull in a hunting rifle, so to me this got just perfect!

Well, hope someone finds this useful, but one word of caution..
    Do NOT take the measurements for granted, there may be more or less play in your rifle, so take your time and file away slowly if you want to thry this out.
    Neat thing is, no alteration to the original parts has been done, so you can try over and over until you get it just as you want it.

Thankīs for watching.
    Dennis

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #
    Very nice mod. Keep up the good life.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Thankīs swany, I will.

Gun Wizard
    Utah - A Gun Friendly Place. Yes, I am ask away.
    Member #
    That looks like some nice machine work there. I cheat, I just buy the Wild West Guns Happy Trigger Kits. To each his own but to all a Marlin!
    Ssgt Hill likes this.
    Klaatu, barada nikto...
    And if that does not work, Molon Labe!

NRA Life Member
    COTEP #0494

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Kool post, thanks for sharing.
    Ray

...................The Right to Keep and Bear Arms!!!................ Molon Labe........Shall NOT BE Infringed!

Ruger Super Blackhawk & Blackhawk Owners Join Here!
    Bangin Blackhawks

New York Members Join Here!
    New York Levergunners

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Well, I would not consider the WWG-kit to be cheating, I just canīt afford dishing out in excess of 210 bucks without shipping to get one. This was the next best thing...
    And, I thought that it perhaps might be useful to someone else if I posted it here, seeing how this is the place most people tend to end up when (not if) they get their new or used Marlin...

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    MrChilly,

Very creative work. I have the WWG Happy Trigger on my .35 Marlin and couldn't be happier. However there are a lot of folks who for one reason or another don't want to go that route (cost being one), but would like to do away with the Marlin "flop". I will continue to put the WWG Trigger on any future Marlins that may require a better trigger, still, this is a wonderful alternative.

Thanks for posting!
    NRA
    VFW Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member
    Team 35 # 61
    Team .45/70 # 1051
    Marlin League # 188

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." Mahatma Gandhi

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Marlinjunkie, thank you!
    I completely understand those who want the WWG trigger kit instead of doing it this way. From what I hear, the feeling in the WWG kit is awsome bordering on devine according to the people I know that has it installed. However, this is a really good substitute for those who, for whatever reason, cost or availability canīt get the WWG kit.
    I can honestly say, after shooting a friends guide gun with the WWG installed, that I can not feel a difference in the trigger pull or how the trigger breaks. However, I might have been lucky to get a really good sear to begin with. Regardless, I am so pleased to get the flop done away with, that all the other stuff is just bonus features, really.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Hi guyīs!
    I just wanted to tell you, I was out this saturday to feel how the rifle felt to shoot after my modifications. All went extremely well, the rifle actually goes more natural to the shoulder now with the straight grip. And oh, the trigger...my sweet lord, that trigger! What an incredible difference! Itīs a ton of difference in the trigger pull, and the shot goes when I want it too without any exessive pull on the trigger. Itīs really a big difference!
    Only problem I had was with the retaining of the magtube that I made. So, I had to go back to the drawing board, and now I have filed a dovetail slot in the barrel, to utilize the original barrel-stud for the magazine. Only difference is that the stud now is located right up at the muzzle. Iīll get some pics of it up here later, Iīd like some estaethic advice on that one....
    CHeers for now, Iīll post pics in an hour or so....

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Ok, here it goes.
    As said before, I have converted my Marlin 308 MX into a straight grip, by hacksaw, file and elbow grease.
    I also made my own mag-tube, since I like the look of the full length tubes better.
    However, my previous mag-tube hanger did not cut it, the mag moved under recoil, and now I have made a new tube, and used the original parts for attaching it to the barrel. I simply cut a new dovetail in the barrel, close to the muzzle.

Looks like this in closeup:

Iīm happy with that, it works fine and looks great. However, the hanger I used to have, utilized the original dovetail for the mag-stud, and it was simply a ring around the mag-tube, with a retaining-screw to hold it in place. It looked a lot better, but it did not work well, as the mag moved under recoil.

So, here I am showing a picture of the whole gun, and to me it kind of lacks something in front of the front wood!
    Iīm thinking of making a barrel band, just for looks. What do you think?

And hereīs a pic of the front part of the gun, might help decide wich route to go here....

Well, thatīs it!
    Help me decide how to proceed here, do you as I believe itīs missing something, or is it fine as is?

Humbly, Dennis
    Last edited by MrChilly; 04-03-2012 at 03:26 AM.
    msharley and Poncho Villa like this.
    Dennis
    Proud owner of a custom Marlin .308MX
    Even more proud to own a .444p
    Team 444 Member# 494

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links