+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: THE MARLIN TRIGGER

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

THE MARLIN TRIGGER

EDIT, while I take my trigger under 3lbs this should not be done on a hunting rifle and should be tested thoroughly by making sure of an empty chamber and jarring, slapping and thumping on the floor with a pad under the buttstock.

Do not attempt this if you are unsure of your self it is not for everybody but those who can here is a few pics.

Marlin 39A Mountie here it is torn down.

Trigger is at 48 oz or 3lbs very good should not mess with it but here goes for you folks, I can always reverse what I do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    dpc, Bad Bob, Traveler and 1 others like this.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Member #

Re: THE MARLIN TRIGGER

Next is bending the trigger return spring, after I done this it was down to 24 oz 1.5lbs !!!!

The pic of the 39A is very bad so I replaced it with one I took on an earlier project on a 336
    the springs and adjustment is the same on either.

So bending this helped this gun immensly and I should stop here as it is very good now. Just to show you that this 1954 .22 had a good one to start with but a simple tweak like bending this spring took 1.5 lbs off the triggers pull so this is a good tweak. If you overbend this you will be pulling the pin and bending it back. I had to, not the first one either.
    wattyp, SmithAC and Pyryman like this.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Member #

Okay the trigger spring is bent and rebent so far so good here is the trigger removed and laying on a India Oilstone medium grit. Added is the triggers top with permanent marker blackening it for stoning proof. Pic is blurry but trust it is what I said.

Member #

Next is a pic the trigger on the stone sear down. This is a touchy feely thing that you have to find the flat as it is very small, once you have that tilt the trigger forward slightly and give it a forward stroke on the stone until it cleans all the marker off. I done this though it was not necessary but managed to reduce it down to 20 oz in the process so one time took 4 oz off. Here you are just changing the angle of the triggers sear. It can be recut if you go too far.

I have removed the blurry pic and replaced it.
    REM likes this.

Member #

Here is all the tools I needed to go from 48 oz down to 20 oz

My leatherman

Two small nails for drifts the smaller for driving the trigger return spring out after I overbent it.
    The larger for driving the trigger pin out.
    Medium India Oilstone for the trigger angle.
    RCBS trigger pull gage aka a fancy fishscale to show you have reduced the triggers pull.
    My high precision ball peen hammer. I done this whole job in less than a half an hour in my office sitting down.
    SmithAC and S-code like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Swany,

I thank-you for being willing to share your expertise on triggers. I am certainly not mechanically inclined, but after studying your pictures and explanations, I decided to take the plunge and try to tweek the trigger return spring on my Westpoint 30-30. Wonder of wonders, it went from being uncomfortably stiff to being hunting perfect. (I call "hunting perfect" light enough to go off with a slight but deliberate squeeze- but not hair-trigger light).

I figured that I had nothing to lose, since I expected to go the Happy trigger route, but would try this as a last ditch attempt.

Thanks for making this possible!
    Oberhaz likes this.

Member #

It is amazing how well we can do thing by ourselves, congrats on your new trigger.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Swany,
    Does bending the trigger return spring decrease the reliability or cause any function problems with respect to the return of the trigger or is that another indicator that you have gone to far? Have you had any malfunction you could attribute to this adjustment? I would like to do this simple adjustment but I do not want any decrease in reliabiliy to a hunting firearm. Thank you for the wealth of knowledge that you share.

Coach
    Coach

Failure to plan, is planning to fail.

Member #

Coach sorry about my being slow to respound I'm having trouble with net access in my area.

Bending the trigger return spring decreases the amount you have to press against the trigger, go too far the gun will not cock and is unsafe.

You can bend it back to reset it. This is where a trigger pull gauge comes in handy, it will tell you if you've decreased the amount of pull by bending the trigger spring.

Very often as I've stated it will decrease the amount of trigger pull sometimes up to 1.5lbs.

Take care and be safe. Swany

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Tirgger job difficulties. I was able to break down the rifle (which I bought used, but apparently barely fired) with considerable "tapping" effort. Every part was easily taken down and it is a pretty sensible and simple design (not surprising for 1891). The pun that holds the trigger return spring came out with little effort. The problem is that the pin that retains the trigger is darn near impossible to drift out of the hole. I even made a little mount of the back part of the receiver using hard maple, got out a steel pin pinch, and went to work with it with a 2-lb Ball peen hammer. This did not budge the pin a bit. Tried both sides. I hit it with "BLASTER" bran PB "ultra penetration catalyst, guaranteed to free sticky-rusty parts" and let it sit about 5 minutes and it did not budge. Is there something to this I am not seeing. I am afraid to apply more force because I think I will slip with the pin and scratch that beautiful blueing.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links