Closed Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By swany
  • 2 Post By swany

Thread: Can I Make a Home Made Trigger Pull Weight Gauge?

Sidewinder
    Member #

Can I Make a Home Made Trigger Pull Weight Gauge?

Aloha Everyone ,
    If I tied a string onto trigger ( having rifle pointing staight up)and hung a 4 pound wait from that string would that work as a weight guage?? For now all I want to do is get my trigger weight down to 4 pounds. We have no gunshops here and am trying to make doo with what I got. And no I'm not a cheapie , I just aint got the funds Thanks all
    bowhunt/slingtrap/marlin336 30/30SC

LuvM and LeverM

re: Can I Make a Home Made Trigger Pull Weight Gauge?

I read somewhere that you can use cans of soup.

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

Fish wgt scale, piece of coathanger bent to pull the trigger and operate the wgt scale. Most small ones go to under 1lb. You could make wgts with your gunpowder scale, add a little at a time.

Bottom line if you are going to do trigger work make an order at Midway for a trigger pull gage.
    Surveybob likes this.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Sidewinder
    Member #

O.K Swammy and Co. ,
    Used the coat hanger and fish scale and trigger's at 4 pounds. Good enough for me. Wont do anymore work on trigger till I get a real gauge.
    For anyone, I would not recommend this way to determine measuring trigger pull acurately. Just seems kind of iffy. Maybe if it was a digital fish scale I'd feel better. I just used a regular non digital scale. But adleast I figure I'm close and know est weight .Anyways , spak you all later
    Thanks again everyone. Paka
    bowhunt/slingtrap/marlin336 30/30SC

LuvM and LeverM

actually I think you use a bag and string. Fill the bag with cans before you start. Then after you do the same. something about a can of soup weighing 1#.

Member #

I would rely on the fish scale as much as I would my RCBS trigger pull gage. I have never tested it with known wgt. So if it is off by a few oz either way it still don't make any difference, it will still tell you if you are going in the right direction. Even without a gage you can tell when it is right for you.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Member #
    Update to those who just don't need one but want to know how much their trigger is pulling in lbs.

There is a lot of known wgt objects out there and many you have on hand. Most of us have a bath room scale and that can help you a lot.

Use a large 2 or 3 liter soda bottle, your bathroom scale and add water until you have a set wgt say 5lbs, 3.5lbs or some such. Add a wire loop made of hanger wire and bend a hook in it. If you suspend the 5lb and the hammer drops you are under 5lbs, and you can further test by reducing the amount of water in your soda bottle until it wont go off. Then using a small funnel and some sort of way to pour water slowly in until it pulls the trigger you can then weigh what the bottle contents and wire weigh on your bathroom scale.

Exact, nope, close yep.
    golfersa and rupe01 like this.

Member #
    One more suggestion.

Deadeye
    Member #
    My suggestion is to use a milk jug and hang it from the trigger using a string or wire. Then slowly fill it with water until the trigger breaks. Then go the the kitchen and pour the water into a measuring cup, such as a 4 cup measuring cup, and keep track of how much water you have poured into it. Since water is measured the same as it is weighed the total amount of water you pour out is the answer. Each cup is 8 ounces. I'd add about 4 ounces for the jug itself.

If you have a kitchen scale you could also use that.

If you wish to reuse the jug to test multiple guns, it might make sense to pour in about 28 ounces of water and make a line and write on there 2 lbs. Then pour in another 1 or 2 cups and make another line noting it either 2.5 or 3 lbs depending on whether you used 1 or 2 cups. Just keep adding water and making new lines.

Member #
    I would figure a digital bath scale would read out from 1lb on up, weighing the whole jug wire and all.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links