+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By M700
  • 1 Post By 48vintage

Thread: PSE Thunderbolt ?

Contributing Member
    Member #

Question PSE Thunderbolt ?

So... Is this a good compound bow? I know a bit about recurves, having shot the heck out of a pair of them when I was younger, and time to time now that I'm not younger.

This is a compound bow, and I don't know squat about 'em. I think I'm buying one. The seller tells me that the weight is set at 68#, it's got a bow quiver, stabilizer, fancy sight, a case and a couple of dozen arrows. And a release. Never used a release in my life, just fingers.

I didn't have any trouble pulling the bow to full draw. It's actually set up for a guy a few inches taller than me, with longer reach. Once it's drawn back a bit, it of course relaxes and is easier to hold. Kind of cute that way. I'm used to bows that just get harder and harder to pull, the farther I draw them back.

My friend used it to take three deer in the past few years, all mulies. One doe and a couple of bucks. We have a pretty decent archery season here. He's getting out of hunting for now, has a couple of young kids in the house. Wants $300 for the bow, arrows, case and all the attachments.

My archery knowledge is decades old. I haven't bought a bow since 1973 or 1974. What do you guys think?

Guy
    me likes this.

me
    Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Don't know much about them M700... Sometimes You Tube has answers.

"I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson, Letter to William Ludlow, September 6, 1824

team 45/70 #244, team Browning #40

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Although I can't speak of the Thunderbolt, I got an older PSE Vector . . it has been an excellent bow for about 20 years.
    me likes this.
    Gary

“Only the mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of the wolf.” Aldo Leopold

Team Shotgun #6
    Marlin League #56
    Team 30-30 #366
    Team Old Pharts #42
    Team 35 #298
    Team 39 #230
    Team 60 #166
    Team 1894 #366
    Team 444 #648
    Team .45-70 #1332

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    as long as you can shoot it accurately, you'll probably be OK. Buying a new bow is something best left to pro's or going to pro's. Buying used is buyer beware. I'm a bit different in that I use a bow till its worn out instead of trading every year like so many. I really enjoy it, so will spend the extra to get what I want in comparison to other bows. I did use a PSE and found them to be loud and a bit rough. They also depreciate very quickly. Don't know a thing about the one you're talking about. They do make archery hunting more possible for the masses!

Good luck!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    M700 PSE makes very good Compound bows. My best advise would be to go somewhere like Bass pro that has a good assortment of bows and personel there that can find out exactly what you need interms of fit. You can look at a lot of different bows and compare prices.Who knows you may be happy with the PSE. Just remember a bow does'nt have to be exspensive to be efficent. Also the shop personel can help evaluate the PSE. Welcome to a whole new world of shooting. I can still remember my 1st deer taken with a bow. Wow did that really happen.
    Gabby

"Every man should know his limitations"... Clint Eastwood

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Guy,

It depends how old your friend's bow is. The PSE Thunderbolt was made for several years beginning in the 90's. Compound bow technology has evolved drastically in the last few years. Most of the Thunderbolts are not parallel arm bows. The later ones are. I think a parallel arm bow is a must. Mine has no arm shock or arm slap and is very quiet because it is a parallel arm bow. If the Thunderbolt your friend is selling has a "D" shape then it is not a parallel arm bow. I would only buy it if it has a very long riser and short limbs almost 90 degrees from the riser when at rest. I also would not buy a bow with a whisker basket rest. They tear up your arrow fletching. That's what most mid price bows come with. Factor in the cost to change it out with a hostage rest.

I think PSE makes nice bows for the money. I initially wanted a PSE Brute but when I went to Bass Pro to see it and some Bear bows the salesman sold me on the Diamond Outlaw. I'm very glad he did. It's a great bow equal to other mfrs packages that are $200 more. I'm still amazed by it a year and hundreds of shots later.

You will probably want to have the draw length adjusted to fit you. It's usually okay to have a draw length a little too short but it's bad to have a draw length that is too long.

It would probably cost about $500 to replicate the package your friend has with a new bow today with the latest technology and another $100 to $200 for the arrows and broad heads depending upon what he has.
    MDT

Marlin 336W w/ Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 BDC
    Marlin 1894C w/ Bushnell Trophy 4-12x40 AO
    Put BSA Catseye FM310x44 scope on 308 BAR
    Savage 10ML-II SS muzzleloader w/ silver Bushnell Elite 3200
    Barnett Quad 400 crosbow w/ scope
    Diamond Outlaw RAK Bow

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Thanks for the info guys. My 21 year old son took one look at the bow and all the goodies that came with it and said "That's cool Dad." So - it's his. Early Christmas present or something I guess...

Me? I'm still shooting the same pair of Hoyt recurves I've been shooting since the 1970's... Why not?

Guy

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links