+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: .22 cal enough to take out a skunk?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I SWEAR when i was reading this post i could smell the last one i whacked in the yard, Nuclear Fallout is about right.....

Yup i can smell it now.....
    Ray

...................The Right to Keep and Bear Arms!!!................ Molon Labe........Shall NOT BE Infringed!

Ruger Super Blackhawk & Blackhawk Owners Join Here!
    Bangin Blackhawks

New York Members Join Here!
    New York Levergunners

FUAC

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    I myself would never shoot a Skunk with an air rifle,that's what the 22Lr is for.To kill a Skunk cleanly,you must shoot it directly in the heart to completely kill it fast,with no stink on "you"!
    Hey Gutshot, seems like you know them skunks pretty good Heart shots and Dont kick'em, GOT IT!!!!!
    Ray

...................The Right to Keep and Bear Arms!!!................ Molon Labe........Shall NOT BE Infringed!

Bangin Blackhawks

New York Levergunners

FUAC

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Thanks for all the great responses. I don't want to chemically treat my yard, and I'm not convinced that it would make a diference unless all the neighbors did it too. I don't mind if he unloads his stink and just gets it all over with. The trouble is he unloads every so often anyway, and it's bad enough to keep me up at night. Also I've read on several other forums that if you head shot them, they're almost guarinteed to spray, but if you get them in the chest, they're far less likely to spray. I don't know why that would be, but I've seen it enough to want to try for a body shot. BTW, I can't hit it with a .22 rimfire. That would be discharging a firearm in a "compact zone" which is a serious violation where I live, perhaps a felony, but at the very least a three year loss of my hunting license.
    1946 Marlin model 39A project (not working yet)
    1978 Glenfield model 40 (Marlin model 49DL)
    1996 Marlin model 60
    Team 60 member #90
    Team 49.22 member #1

Hey, you can't say that in America!

Deadeye
    Member #
    Call animal control. Let them trap it.
    U.S Navy VeteranMarlin 336SS 30-30, 1895GS 45-70, Golden 39A,36R1 30-30... The Lynx is a Stealthy Hunter. Team 39 #53, Team 30-30 #275, Team 45-70 #292 NRA LIFE MEMBER NYSRPA MEMBER

Co-Captain--TEAMS 1894 & Team 450 Contributing Member
    Member #
    This is so timely. Got an email from my younger brother just last week on this subject. He put a trap in the opening to his crawl space to catch one. The trap got em but then he had to kill it. He shot it with a 22 long rifle and the skunk unloaded. He has moved out of his house now, been just over a week. He emailed me yesterday saying he just caught another in the same place and is beside himself on what to do.

On another note, I did kick an armadillo eight years ago and finally paid for it last year when I had to have the joint in my big toe removed. Don't kick a skunk for five days of stink, don't kick an armadillo for a lifetime of pain.

1895gunner
    BloodGroove4570 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    HAH,,,,, OMG you made me shoot coffee allover LOLOLOLOL hahahahahahahahha...... WOOO my side hurts gunner!!!!! You and Gutshot havin a secret competition to see who can kick the vermon the farthest I think you 2 should sell the guns and maybe invest in some high quality, High Velocity Steel Toe Boots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BG4570

Note to self,
    Self dont kick SKUNKS, Self Dont Kick Armadillos, Check got it..... Leave'em for Scott and Dom!!!!!
    1895Gunner likes this.
    Ray

Bangin Blackhawks

New York Levergunners

FUAC

Team 39 Co-Capt'n Gunfighter
    Member #
    What kind of airgun do you have? What does it shoot most accurately? I've found round balls have the greatest penetration. I've have killed HUNDREDS of big Nevada jackrabbits with my 22xx I built as well as my Benji 392 Pumper. I've even killed jacks with my hotrodded 1377 with headshots inside of 30 yards. The trick is to use the heaviest pellet you can. I love Beeman Kodiaks in 177 and 22. Predator Poly Mags work real good in 22 also, but you need to send them at 750+ or they don't expand too well. If your gun is shooting in the 500 fps range use a 15 grain round ball. That's what I use in my 2240 cart pistol. Buy yourself 8 pounds of .220" buckshot for $35. You will have round balls for life! I shot a skunk 3 feet from the end of my 39A as it was running off my porch. I had the wonderful idea of using a 22 LR snakeshot load. The scent gland blew up all over my steps and the skunk ran under my house and died. It was SO pungent for 4 days it burned my eyes and made it hard to breathe. I would try and bait the little bugger away from your house and center punch him. GOOD LUCK!
    "I am the weapon. My gun is only a tool."

"When your ambush is going well, your about to be attacked."

Team 39 Co-Captain
    Team 450 #35
    Team 30-30 #278
    Team 1894 #98

1895 MXLR 450 Marlin stainless steel with salt/pepper laminate
    1894 LTD Talo 16" 45 Colt blued steel with walnut
    Marlin 410 blued steel with walnut
    Marlin 410 XLR stainless steel with chestnut laminate
    336 XLR 30-30 stainless steel with salt/pepper laminate
    336Y Spikehorn 30/30
    Golden 39A
    Model 7000T

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 450 Sniper View Post
    What kind of airgun do you have? What does it shoot most accurately?
    I do not have an airgun yet. I would like to assign this task to a Benjamin Trail NP .22cal. The gun claims to shoot lead at around 1000fps, and Pb free at over 1200. I would use lead. I like the gun for it's near sonic velocity, it's nearly quiet operation, and for it's thumb hole stock. I'm not sure of it's build quality, there aren't many reviews of it just yet. My plan for ammo was to get the heaviest hollow point lead pellets that I could find. It's a short shot even to the far side of my yard (maybe 20 yards), so pinpoint accuracy isn't super critical.
    1946 Marlin model 39A project (not working yet)
    1978 Glenfield model 40 (Marlin model 49DL)
    1996 Marlin model 60
    Team 60 member #90
    Team 49.22 member #1

Hey, you can't say that in America!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I've dispatched a fair number of them which were caught in steel traps, so all of my experience is with skunks that sprayed when the trap grabbed them. I shot them with .22 long rifle. Since I didn't want holes in the body of the pelt, a head shot was always in order. Sometimes they had to be dragged into the open to expose the head. Talk about a fun experience!

My belief is that a powerful air gun will kill a skunk just fine, but it won't be as humane as a .22 rifle. I don't know if a heart shot will prevent one from spraying, but I doubt it.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter69 View Post
    Call animal control. Let them trap it.
    Our local animal control won't go after wild animals. You have to hire that done and we have several folk making a living at it around here including the bug exterminators. Some are actually specializing in wild animal control as we do have the rare problem with rabid skunks, 'possoms, and coons. Throw in foxes, bobcats, coyotes and ground hogs and there seems to be plenty of work available. When it comes to this sort of problem I am usually a DIY advocate but with skunk I'm not so sure. Punch some holes in cans of cheap cat food and throw it in your neighbor's yard. Be prepared to lie if the neighbor asks your if you know how it got there. Now the skunk is his problem. Do it with love and it will be OK.
    njcioffi and RB Rider like this.
    "He who angers you conquers you". - Elizabeth Kenny

Team Old Pharts #63

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links