+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Daisy Powerline 880

Tinhorn
    Member #

Daisy Powerline 880

I bought a Powerline 880 several months ago as a fun gun I could use in the backyard. I love it and it's great to play with when you can't get out to the range.

I did mount the scope it but it's not the greatest thing. It does the job buy don't expect a good picture when shooting.

Anyone else play with this thing?

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I bought a couple of these for my boys for Christmas this year. They are a whole lot easier to pump than the cheaper version and I was quite surprised at the accuracy. After I sighted in the scopes on them they were able to consistantly hit popsickle sticks at ~20 yards with them. Loading pellets into them is a pain in the butt but they are most accurate with the little lead pills. We use the Crossman Destroyer pellets almost exclusively as they seem to be the most accurate in most of the pellet rifles we have. I also have a Ruger AirHawk that is just plain fun to shoot and it will take out a lot of small game inside of 50 yards. If nothing else have some fun with it!

_coder

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I also have one I use for plinking in the backyard. Four years, lots of fun, no trouble yet. It's worth the $30.00 I paid for it at Wallyworld.
    "Republic: I like the sound of the word -- means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, however they choose. Some words give you a deep feeling. Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat. -John Wayne- The Alamo

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Don't have one but our backyard is big enough to usethe .22's
    Gary

“Only the mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of the wolf.” Aldo Leopold

Team Shotgun #6
    Marlin League #56
    Team 30-30 #366
    Team Old Pharts #42
    Team 35 #298
    Team 39 #230
    Team 60 #166
    Team 1894 #366
    Team 444 #648
    Team .45-70 #1332

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I hard one of those when I was a kid. I killed all the stuff a kid kills with pellet rifles; toy soldiers, birds, rabbits, squirrels, frogs, snakes, etc. Fun little rifle

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I had one as a kid. We used to pump it up ten times then roll about 10 extra BBs down the barrel. That thing would just shred those poor frogs.

We also learned that you don't want to go shooting detergent bottles with it either. They just throw the BBs back at you.
    1946 Marlin model 39A
    1978 Glenfield model 40 (Marlin model 49DL)
    1996 Marlin model 60
    Team 60 member #90
    Team 49.22 member #1

Hey, you can't say that in America!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    born in Hillsboro, TX, moved to Idaho in 2007
    Member #
    I used to have a Sheridan Silver Streak, 5mm. It was great and beautiful! Then I started 'rolling' bb's down the barrel and pumping it quite a few times. I would shoot up into the air at flocks of blackbirds flying over. After a while, I found that with a 5mm pellet, I could not hit a tin can at 30 feet! The bb's wore out the barrel!!! The gun needed to be re-barreled. Sheridan wanted about $30 to repair it. I also had to pay shipping both ways. I think a new gun at that time (mid to late '50s) was only about $60 or $70. I traded it for another gun, but don't remember what kind.
    Love living in Idaho, but sure miss Texas!
    Marlin League #47
    Team 60 #9
    Team 39 #90 (unofficial)
    Team Old Pharts #43
    Member NRA

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Yeah, steel BBs will do that to rifled barrel I'm told. They require a smooth bore. The funny part is that Pellets do pretty well in a smooth bore too, because of the skirt and the aero drag that it causes.
    1946 Marlin model 39A
    1996 Marlin model 60
    Team 60 member #90
    Team 49.22 member #1

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by pokey View Post
    I had one as a kid. We used to pump it up ten times then roll about 10 extra BBs down the barrel. That thing would just shred those poor frogs.

We also learned that you don't want to go shooting detergent bottles with it either. They just throw the BBs back at you.
    A story - we used to make "diamonds" by shooting the bottom of a coke bottle. Hit dead square to the middle of the bottom you'd be rewarded with a little glass cone razor sharp on the edges. Anyway - one day I was too close, the bottle too hard and that dang bb popped me in the left eye. Dang that hurt! My eye was red for days.
    Now the punchline - fast forward 6 years to when I was 13. One day in the spring my eye is itching and watering and I go to rub it and "something" is in my eye. I can feel it. I rub towards my nose and out pops that dang bb! Still shiny and coppery as new. One them odd things that happen.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
    Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities."
    -- Ayn Rand

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Holy Crap, BubbaJon! I hope you kept that! One time I sneezed at the dinner table while chewing, and I had to blow a hand full of corn and rice out of my nose afterwards, but your story beats mine to death!

Another thing we used to do with the 880 is we'd pump it only once and shoot it while holding it real low over a pond and parallel to the water. The bb would hit the water about 20 feet away, and skip like a stone the rest of the way across the pond. It would skip about a million and a half times in about 100 feet. It's real neat to see if you ever find a secluded piece of water to try it on.
    PBurkott likes this.
    1946 Marlin model 39A
    1996 Marlin model 60
    Team 60 member #90
    Team 49.22 member #1

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links