+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Marlin 1895 quality control problems

Tinhorn
    Member #

Marlin 1895 quality control problems

Hello I'm new to the forum and I'm thinking about getting a new Marlin 1895. I've been reading various reviews about this gun that I've found online and I've seen a lot of positive reviews; however, I've also found numerous posts from people who have posted information indicating that Marlin has had a lot quality control issues since being purchased by Remington and that their new Marlin 1895 had a lot of problems. I was curious if anyone here has bought a new 1895 recently and what their expereince has been, are they quality guns or junk? If there are threads covering this subject then please point me to them. Thanks!

Wrangler
    Member #
    check out the rant forum.it scares me enough that I'd think twice before buying a "new" marlin sight unseen.look around and you'll find yourself a nice used JM stamped rifle without any worries to go with it

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    If you look at a new one just make sure you give it a good going over before buying it. Look for fit and finish issues, buggered up screws, misaligned sights, and rough edges on machined surfaces. These seem to be common complaints. OR do what hound-1 suggested and find an older one you wont have to worry about.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Yep I bought a 1895 GS with the JM proof mark today. Just like new, paid $549. It's beautifull..

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Thanks for the info. I read some of the rant posts, very scary stuff. About a week ago I was at Gander Mountain and I was looking at two 1895 models, the 1895 and the 1895G, I didn't notice any problems with stock, nor did I notice any scratching or rough edges, I didn't look to closely at the sights; however, the bolt looked a bit rough though. But with all the problems that people are reporting I'm nervous about taking the plunge, the only problem is that I really like the look of both the SBL and the GBL, but I haven't actually seen these in the stores. One of the stores that I was at said they got 10 SBL's and 2 GBL's at their supplier. Where are you all finding the 1895's with the JM proof at? Thanks for the responses.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Hello Flyfisherman and welcome to the site.
    I recently purchased a new Marlin SBL and it appears to be in fine working order and shoots true. Like others have said, given the current status of the QC at the Marlin plant, there is a high probability for ending up with a "problem" rifle that you may need to return for repair service. Check the "Marlin Rant" forum for information on the new rifles and experiences folks are having with returning their guns for repairs. I really wanted an 1895 - 22" barrel and was going to purchase a new one, but found a better deal on an older, JM stamped model.......I just checked Gunbroker and there are a couple older ones up for auction.

I prefer "dry fly'n" to "nymph'n", but my wife's the real trout slayer with scuds and emergers..........keep a tight line !
    Treg06

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Welcome Flyfisherman! Hope you find the rifle you are looking for (of course we'll need pictures when you get it home. )
    NRA
    VFW Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member
    Team 35 # 61
    Team .45/70 # 1051
    Marlin League # 188

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." Mahatma Gandhi

B78
    Sidewinder
    Member #
    I have a brand new GBL that is Remington made. I have several older Marlins in various configurations. The new one looks good, and performs as good as the older ones.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I've been extremely fortunate with the Remlin 1895G I bought this week. Though the stock fit, finish and poor excuse for checkering was a con, the rifle functions beautifully and feed/extracts w/o any problems. Accuracy from initial sight in with iron sights at 60 yards was not bad either, first five shot group was 1.8" and the last five from a box of 325 gr Leverevolution was 2.8" which I attributed to the ole shoulder getting a bit tender from 20 rounds of factory ammo. My old eyes don't handle iron sights well any more so I consider these results pretty good. Chrono results in the 18.5" bbl was 1805 fps, SD-14 and ES of 44. Not bad for factory ammunition.

Tom
    SwampDude likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Some on this site have purchased REP guns, or Remlins as we like to call them and have been satisfied with them. Others, as you have already noticed, have had some serious issues with their guns. Some have been so fed up with them they have returned them for a refund.

Last winter I found a GBL in the used rack at a gun shop I frequent. I was told it was new, but being sold as used. That should have tipped me off right there, but I was blinded by the fact the price was cheaper, it had a big loop and brown laminate wood. It looked beautiful! I bought it. It seemed fine in the store, although it did cycle rough. I assumed that wasn't unusual since most new Marlins cycle kinda rough. When I got it home I started to look closely at the gun, especially the cycling of the lever. On closer inspection I noticed the bolt wouldn't close fully unless I cycled the lever with authority. Again I thought its new and tight, it just needs time. Well, it needed more than time. Theres a machined groove next to the breech end of the barrel & when you close the lever the peice that is connected to the bolt wasn't lining up with that groove unless I slammed it shut. I thought about taking it to a gunsmith and having it fixed, but that would cost me money. Anyway, I took it back to the place I bought it and they refunded my money without a problem.

They happened to have a new JM stamped 1895G in the glass case behind the counter. It cost me a few bucks more but it was well worth it. Buy a JM stamped gun, you'll be glad you did.
    Team 35 RemIngton #151; Team .45-70 #541

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links