+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What Is Your Personal Favorite 45-70 Lever Gun and Why?

Deadeye
    Member #

What Is Your Personal Favorite 45-70 Lever Gun and Why?

What is Everyone's Personal Favorite and Why? The Why part should be the most interesting and enlightening. As it may help others decide on a certain design of Lever Action to best suit there needs. Not only the Rifle itself but the set up of said rifle along with the type and make up of ammo used.

And if you are able Pictures would not hurt.

Just thought I would liven up this forum a bit.
    XMAN likes this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    The basic 1895G. It's as accurate as anything else and in a small package.
    The only thing that rocks about the Government....is the 45/70 Government
    #398 Team 45/70

Cowpoke
    Member #
    1895GBL the right size to hunt in the woods.
    BillyTee likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Guide gun

Deadeye
    Member #
    Maybe I asked too much lol.

What is Everyone's Personal Favorite and Why? The Why part should be the most interesting and enlightening. As it may help others decide on a certain design of Lever Action to best suit there needs. Not only the Rifle itself but the set up of said rifle along with the type and make up of ammo used.

So I will give it a shot to maybe help.

My Favorite for Hunting is the Marlin 1895GS in 45-70. Set up in Scout Scope configuration along with a Limb Saver Recoil Pad.

The reasons are that it is short and Handy which makes it easier to get up into a blind with and to maneuver inside of a blind. Or out walking. Also that it fits well inside the cab of a truck or a 4 Wheeler for quick use if need be.

Ammo is Self made of which I am pretty much settled on the Ranch Dog 350Gr pushed with H-322 for Deer season. I use this powder to push the Bullets harder around the 1950 FPS Range mainly for extended reach and flatter trajectory.

I am about to try out some of the Ranch Dog 350Gr with 15.0 Gr of Unique to fire form the new Starline brass and to see how the load works out for Pig.
    eaglesnest, XMAN and jbaker30 like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I think the 1895 STBL is my favorite because it fits under my Nightforce telescope so well.
    001.JPG

Super Moderator
    Member #
    My favorite has gotta be the guide gun. It's light, easy to carry, and quick pointin in the brush. Mine happens to be extra special to me because it is a limited edition GS-LTD, only 501 made. I just ordered a new Leupold 2.5x20 ultralight scope to put on her, as my eyes are gettin bad. Here's a couple pics of her and one with her and her little sister...

4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG
    Troy

"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they've made a difference....The Marines don't have that problem." ~ Ronald Reagan

Sgt, U.S. Marines
    VFW Life Member
    NRA Member
    100% Full Blooded Scotch-Irish-Indian-Hillbilly

My own little piece of Heaven

Wrangler
    Member #
    Both of my .45-70s are my favorites.

1895G and 1895CB. I've never fired the 1895CB, but, there's just 'something' about that octagonal barrel!!!

The 1895G is extremely accurate!!!!! I had no idea that this little powerhouse would be so accurate!!

Keith

.45-70 Team - Member #278
    1894 Team - Member #69

1895G; 1895CB; 1894CB
    There ain't nothin' like a lever gun that shoots a big hunk of lead!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
    Maybe I asked too much lol.

So I will give it a shot to maybe help.

My Favorite for Hunting is the Marlin 1895GS in 45-70. Set up in Scout Scope configuration along with a Limb Saver Recoil Pad.

The reasons are that it is short and Handy which makes it easier to get up into a blind with and to maneuver inside of a blind. Or out walking. Also that it fits well inside the cab of a truck or a 4 Wheeler for quick use if need be.

Ammo is Self made of which I am pretty much settled on the Ranch Dog 350Gr pushed with H-322 for Deer season. I use this powder to push the Bullets harder around the 1950 FPS Range mainly for extended reach and flatter trajectory.

I am about to try out some of the Ranch Dog 350Gr with 15.0 Gr of Unique to fire form the new Starline brass and to see how the load works out for Pig.
    Well you hit all the selling points! Having only one 45/70, it must be a guide gun for me and since I live in perpetual rain country the stainless is a nice consideration too. I haven't been hunting so much these days for a variety of reasons, but it would be the one I would take for anything from deer to bear and moose around here. I do get out in the boat or hiking quite a bit or picking berries come late July and Aug and having a good survival gun that is compact and effective against anything is really nice. . As for only having the short mag tube, I don't see it as a problem at all. In fact I think if you can't put down a problem bear in 4 then you are likely not going to get the opportunity for more anyhow.

What my 45/70 also does that is great fun is just plink fairly accurately (more of a deep ground vibrating thud actually) . That is what my gun mostly gets used for anyhow.

1895 45-70 GS, 1894 45 Colt
    Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. Henry 22LR Frontier
    Rossi M-92 454 Casull

"When I hold you in my arms
    and I feel my finger on your trigger
    I know nobody can do me no harm"..

JM, RIP..

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    1895CB, straight stock, no checkering, octagon bbl, full length mag tube. Balance is incredible, accuracy out of this world. My 9yo daughter loves to shoot it with trailboss or unique. Classic lines of a levergun, straight out of the old west. Thats why I bought mine, I love my 1895CB.
    msharley, AlaskaDawg, XMAN and 2 others like this.
    1895CB
    .35 Texan
    Glenfield 30-30
    1895SS

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links