+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: 45/70 in Africa?

Sidewinder
    Member #
    If I was going to Africa after the really dangerous beasts I'd still take a .416 whether it be the Rigby or Remington. I think the 45-70's are for very accomplished hunters. Pro's like 'Pete and others. I really can't see being run over by an Elephant just to prove that a 45-70 will do the job. I have no doubt it will. In the hands of very experienced hunters who know the anatomy of the prey they are hunting for to the nth degree and are VERY good shots with heavy recoiling guns under stress. Like when a Cape Buffalo is charging at 30+ mph because the first shot didn't put it down.

Furthermore, if the guide has to finish the job for you then you really didn't take the game yourself. That's the whole point of going on a safari, isn't it? The accomplishment of taking on a dangerous beast with the "firestick" of your choice? I personally, wouldn't want to go on an expensive hunt like that unless I knew I could do the job without any help. With the exception of finding the beast.

I can understand a problem with the gun like a misfire from bad ammo or some other mechanical problem with the firearm itself. That is why the guide to back you up. But to have the guide finish the job because you don't have enough gun or placed the shot improperly. Well, I just wouldn't be happy with an outcome like that after spending $10,000 or more on an African hunt.
    Last edited by 405GN; 04-17-2013 at 02:06 AM.
    john m likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Great topic. I imagine I would use the excuse to get a nice 375 were I to hunt Africa, but I wouldn't be too scared to hunt most animals with the 45-70 loaded with 500-550 grain bullets. From what I have seen, those bullets take a whole lot of material to slow them down.
    offgrid_life likes this.
    TEAM 45-70 #174

TEAM 444 #453

SEMPER FIDELIS

Tinhorn
    Member #
    If a client showed up wit a 45-70 with appropriate bullets for a buffalo hunt, I'd be delighted. Proper placement of the shot is a paramount requirement with ANY caliber, and a big, fat, slow bullet at 45-70 velocities would do all the damage needed to a buffalo, for a hunter.

It's for backup shots, when you have to shoot fast into something moving away or towards you, that you may need the extra oomph afforded by more "manly" calibers (and from the way a 1895 kicks, it's definitely not a sissy gun...). But then you need it because you can't insure 100% placement, and can't choose the shot...

So, shoot right, and by all means bring a 45-70!
    Eli Chaps, me and Traveler like this.
    Philip

Never seen a Rolex trying to look like a Seiko...

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I gotta add smething here .... I have hunted in Africa for 20 odd years and for most hunting applications the 45-70 would be fine except in the desert regions where you need a long shootin stick. Apart from Cape Buff,Rino,Elephant and the really big cats (which you dont come across too often in normal hunting conditions African game is no tougher than Game elswhere in the world .... I shot an Eland once - it was Huge .... but with proper shot placement at about 150 meters a .308 cal bullet knocked it over within 30m of impact. The .375 is a great all - rounder with a bit more range which is why it is so popular over there. The same way that the .308 /30-06 & .270 are so popular for a lot of general African hunting....
    Traveler likes this.
    If it cant be fixed by a hammer or a bullet , then its REALLY broken !

Team 30-30 # 403
    Team 45-70 # 285
    Team Rimfire # 143
    Team Marlin Express.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    i would have no problem taking a 45-70 anywhere in the world to hunt with. like said before Teddy Roosevelt shot anything and everything over there with one... works for me.. yes a .375 .458 .500 nitro would work also and in some places better but the 45-70 would do it too...
    Team 45-70 #952
    KCCO

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Just for clarification, Roosevelt used a Winchester 1895 lever action in the .405 Win. cal., not a 45-70. At least on his big African Safari.

Mad Dog
    me and BigMike67 like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    If a client showed up wit a 45-70 with appropriate bullets for a buffalo hunt, I'd be delighted. Proper placement of the shot is a paramount requirement with ANY caliber, and a big, fat, slow bullet at 45-70 velocities would do all the damage needed to a buffalo, for a hunter.

It's for backup shots, when you have to shoot fast into something moving away or towards you, that you may need the extra oomph afforded by more "manly" calibers (and from the way a 1895 kicks, it's definitely not a sissy gun...). But then you need it because you can't insure 100% placement, and can't choose the shot...

So, shoot right, and by all means bring a 45-70!
    That has been the main caveat for many a year now. If you read John Pondero Taylor's - African Rifles and Cartridges - or to go back even further Col. John Henry Patterson's - The Man-Eaters of Tsavao and other East African Adventures - you see a similar complaint in that some bullets are simply too soft for Africa. When Patterson hunted Africa - pre .375 H&H - blackpowder loads were the predominate ones although newer smokeless powders were coming out. Many guns used soft lead bullets - and occasionally steel balls - with mixed success. Even his jacketed .303 round met with mixed success. When Patterson first hunted rhino - he had to mix and mold his own slugs to make them harder as standard ones would "blow up" on impact with the hide. He was almost killed several times by lions he thought were dead after being shot multiple times - only to find out the bullets failed to penetrate adequately or simply broke up on impact. Taylor also stressed the need for strong, well built bullets that would not easily turn on impact and fail to reach vitals. Suffice to say that bullets that are "adequate" for hunting in North America - are not necessarily good for Africa.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Reading this through has been quite interesting. I shot a water buffalo in 2009 with my .450 but the load can easily be duplicated in a 45-70. I originaly posted that it weighed 1800lbs because that was what the guide guess it in the field. Its actual weight ended up being 2200lbs. There was a gent present that had been on several cape buff hunts that examined the carcass during our autopsy. According to him the hide was thicker than a cape buffalo and the bones were thicker. He also told us that he had never killed a cape buff with a body that big. The 420gr cast bullets I used penetrated to the off side and were embedded in the skin. I shot twice even though the first shot stopped the animal in its tracks. The bullet broke the leg bone toward me before penetrating the off side shoulder and mangling the lungs on the way. I fired a second shot that blew a 1.5" hole all the way through the top of the heart. All of this leading up to the fact that with good bullets and good shooting it is easily possible to take big buffalo with a 45-70. That said I have two .416s and a .375 H&H that are jsut dying for their oppertunity..............

before we cleaned it up for pics and moved it........can you say blood?
    Last edited by reflex264; 04-24-2013 at 07:32 PM.
    msharley and me like this.

Team 444 member 57
    Team LTD-V member 1
    Team 45-70 member 42
    Team .450 member 5\
    Team .375 member 62

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    msharley and me like this.

Team 444 member 57
    Team LTD-V member 1
    Team 45-70 member 42
    Team .450 member 5\
    Team .375 member 62

Contributing Member
    Member #
    But if not Africa, where guys?? Ill win yall over yet!
    Guns dont kill people.Dads with pretty Daughters do..

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links