+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TmbrWlkr
  • 3 Post By Mikewood

Thread: 1895-22" porting/crowning pros and cons

Wrangler
    Member #

1895-22" porting/crowning pros and cons

I have read some adverse affects on accuracy after porting a barrel. I am thinking of cutting the barrel down to 20" and having it ported and re crowned. Is there a particular porting or crowning to use. As is the rifle is a tack driver and id hate to do something to hurt its accuracy but I think Ill need a slightly shorter quicker rifle in the woods. any help would be great.
    USMC
    SEMPER FI
    0311-17 YW2

TEAM 45/70 #595

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. Gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it...

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Properly done porting will not have an adverse affect on accuracy.

The purpose of porting is reduced muzzle rise for faster follow-up shots.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MICAH View Post
    I have read some adverse affects on accuracy after porting a barrel. I am thinking of cutting the barrel down to 20" and having it ported and re crowned. Is there a particular porting or crowning to use. As is the rifle is a tack driver and id hate to do something to hurt its accuracy but I think Ill need a slightly shorter quicker rifle in the woods. any help would be great.
    Hey Micah,Magna Port does an excellent porting job. They will put the ports where you want them, the shape you need them. You can re crown your self. A 3/4" to 1" diameter "ball" stone, some oil, and a drill. If you want to splurge, Brownell's have excellent crown cutters. Brownells Search : Search Results for "barrel crowning tools" - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLSMagna Port, may or may not cut and crown. On the gun smithing links, Eli Chaps was kind enough to provide, you will see many cut and crown jobs, done at home, with hand tools.Later, Mark
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E Lee.

Marlinitis Symptoms: More Daily!

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.............

Wrangler
    Member #
    Micah - Here is my unsolicited .$02. Try the gun before you port, and shoot a ported gun first if possible. Porting will make an already loud gun...LOUD!! I hunt with an unported GG (18 1/2"), run medium stout loads, and have trained myself to automatically cycle the lever every time I fire. I don't cycle at Cowboy Action speed, but am not to shabby, and I find that I can be down from the muzzle rise and back on target almost as fast as I can cycle ( scout scope or peep). In my opinion Marlin dropped the porting on their guns for a good reason. Invest in a really good recoil pad - porting doesn't help reduce free recoil energy. Glad you asked huh! Enjoy which ever way you go!
    JBledsoe likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Honestly if I had a tack driving sub MOA target gun I would not do anything to it except put a target scope on it.
    If I wanted a close range brush gun I would buy one and scope it with a 1x red dot.
    You have two very different tools and you might sacrifice one to make the other and end up with neither.
    msharley, MICAH and JBledsoe like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikewood View Post
    Honestly if I had a tack driving sub MOA target gun I would not do anything to it except put a target scope on it.
    If I wanted a close range brush gun I would buy one and scope it with a 1x red dot.
    You have two very different tools and you might sacrifice one to make the other and end up with neither.
    I know I know... Id like to have a 20" barrel on her and a nice target crown allong with extending the magazine tube.
    My issue is I feel its just slightly too long. And so far what I see I will not be porting her, I hunt without ear protection.
    The crown I will have done after I cut her down.
    Thanks
    USMC
    SEMPER FI
    0311-17 YW2

TEAM 45/70 #595

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. Gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it...

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links