+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: First day reloading the 45/70

Gunfighter
    Member #

First day reloading the 45/70

Today I finally got all my gear together to start reloading.I used starline brass,hornady 300 grain jhp,and 45.3 grains of h4198.It took a few minutes to set up the dies and I used the lyman #48 manual to load step by step.After loading everything looked good except it looks like the bulge were the bullet is the case is more on one side,meaning almost smooth on one side with bulge on the other.I fired three rounds offhand and they fed good and shot fine while hitting a stump where I was aiming.My question is do I need to expand case larger so bullet goes in easier.I sized it where the base of the bullet just fits in the case,should the whole bullet slide in by hand or should it center itself if it gets started in the case.By the way brass was once fired.
    Happiness is a warm gun.....The Beatles

Co-Captain--TEAMS 1894 & Team 450 Super Moderator
    Member #
    Case mouth expanding: The less you work the case mouth the better but enough of an angle is needed to hold bullet in-place to press in straight. Just curious, what type of dies are you using (not that it matters here)? There was another thread on this subject a while back (months ago). Why don't you try a search in the reloading forum?

1895gunner
    Scott

Group: Florida Marlin Owners
    Group: Guide Gun & Outfitter Owners Association
    TEAM Shotgun ~ Member# 4 - 410 Lever
    TEAM 35 ~ Member# 244 336D - Ported
    TEAM 39 ~ Member # 221
    TEAM 60 ~ Member # 47 99C & 60SS
    TEAM 1894 ~ Member# 1 1894P - Ported
    TEAM 444 ~ Member# 259 444P - Ported
    TEAM 45/70 ~ Member# 6 1895G & 1895GS - Ported
    TEAM 450 ~ Member# 30 1895M - Ported

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Lee,plus looking at the bullet it looks like I can see more of the crimp groove on the side wiyh the bulge.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Hey TB,

Used that load for years, rolls venison like bunnies. Think, from the description that you have two separate areas, that need addressed. One, believe you do need to bell the mouth just a touch more, as it sounds as though the bullets are going into the case crooked. Second, you need to seat the bullets first, then crimp. When trying to do both operations simultaneously, cases are often bulged. Did you trim all your brass to the same length?

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E Lee.

Marlinitis Symptoms: More Daily!

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.............

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I do crimp and seat in the same step. First turn your seating die in till it touches the brass then start adjusting the seating die until your bullet is just about right. Then turn the die in just a touch more and it will give you enough crimp to do the job without bulging the brass. I know lots of folks like the Lee factory crimp die, but with just a little patience you can make this work pretty good.

On belling your case, you want just enough that you can set the bullet in there and let go of it. It should just barely cove the base of the bullet. Good luck.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Today I seated in one step and then used the lee fcd.I went back out and adjusted for more flare and same result.I looked at some hornady le and they look the same way,slightly more bulge on one side ,however my hsm bearload are smooth all the way around.Maybe I am just being overly critical,I just want them perfect.When I get a chance I will shoot some groups and test accuracy.Today I loaded the minimum recommended charge and will try going up 1 grain at a time.Recoil was very mild and was a sweet feeling shooting my own ammo.I did trim all cases with a lee trimmer but didn't chamfer because it is on the way with my scale.
    Last edited by Time Bomb; 01-15-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Mine usually look like that. They shoot fine. I don't think case mouth expansion will expand far enough down to remedy that.

I remember seeing a thread about that on this page if you can find it.
    Time Bomb likes this.
    Practice makes perfect. Be careful what you practice.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Team 1894 ~ Member #71
    Team 45-70 ~ Member #315
    Team 30-30 ~ Member #404

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I was looking on the internet this morning and I have a few ideas to fix my problem.One was to loosen lock ring on seating die when ram is raised with shell in it to possibly center it better.Second was to seat about half way,then rotate shell 180 degrees and finish seating.Also most recommended the lyman m die over all others.
    msharley likes this.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    I had very similar problems when I first started loading for the 45/70. The bullet would seat a little crooked and would bulge the case to one side. The problem for me was in the design of the seating plug on the Lee die. With certain bullet shapes it would tend to grip the bullet in the cup of the plug on the down stroke and hold it in that position. One solution that worked for me was to seat the bullet with light taps with the handle, while rotating the case in the shellholder. Another probably better solution is to fill the cup of the plug with something like JB Weld so it is just flat across. That would work fine and would allow the bullet to center itself..
    bullets seating crooked
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Time Bomb likes this.
    1895 45-70 GS, 1894 45 Colt
    Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. Henry 22LR Frontier
    Rossi M-92 454 Casull

"When I hold you in my arms
    and I feel my finger on your trigger
    I know nobody can do me no harm"..

JM, RIP..

Tinhorn
    Member #
    When you get ready to work up towards max, I would just jump 5 grains at a time until you get above 55 grains as the max load with your combination will be about 60 grains at around 2400 feet per second. This load will however take the "mild" right out of the recoil. Works a little too well on deer, quite destructive, sort of like a really big varmint load.
    Time Bomb and msharley like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links