Marlin Firearms Forum banner

The new 2012 Henry .45-70 Rifles

49K views 102 replies 56 participants last post by  beretzs 
#1 ·
I was looking at the 45-70 Henry rifle Not bad at all.:congrats: What you say:questionmark:

T:hmmmm:NY

#35 ·
I'm with you Dude. The 45-70 photo is very poor quality but I'm not optimistic. Finally we have proof they know how to mount a front sight like the rest of the world on the brass/octagon 30-30 so why can't they do it on the rest of their rifles? My brother has two of their standard .22 rifles and the front sight is a joke. His are a few years old so maybe they have allowed for some windage adjustment recently. I know one of his, he has a youth and adult size, has a plastic front band and sight.

I guess the loading arrangement isn't too bad but it would take some getting used to. Especially when unloading the tube with one already in the chamber. Awkward to say the least.

I remember when Henry had about 4 models to choose from. I hope they do well with them but I think they aren't for me.

Jeff

Reactions: 68Glenfield
#38 ·
yah but I bet it is a pleasure to unload. I'm not buying a hunting rifle for a firefight so loading down the tube is no big deal. At the range I breech load anyhow. Besides no loading gate to get loose and perhaps less parts to lock up the action too.

T:fisheye:NY

#39 ·
I really like the Henry .22, my brother has one and it is one slick lever Brass finnish reciever and oct Barrel it shoots almost as good as the 39 he gave me when I was 10:biggrin:
I just dont like how that 45/70 rifle does not have a loading gate.
Yes four rounds are good for most hunting but it is nice to top up a lever say you drop a big bear in two shots and start walking up on it a Marlin or Win will let you slip another round up the tube just in case? that is a big plus for most levers you can almost keep the gun on target wile you reload.
I think I just miss the loading gate call me old fashioned but then my 99s don't have one lol
As far as wieght goes my Marlins all feel heavy I still love them but my old beater Model 71 in .348 is only a wee bit heavy compared to a 1895.

#40 · (Edited)
I have to say it again and put it simpler than before because I agree with most of you...

It just doesn't look right. I first thought it was a "mock up"...but why would they put a poor quality mock up on their site as their first "money shot" of their new baby...doesn't make sense....

Now I'll add....
As far as loading, I didn't touch on that before, since I was just speaking of looks....but....I'll address it and it still comes full circle back to looks...

I don't think that tube loading concerns me...I believe I had the easiest loading lever made (well one of them anyway)...the Browning BLR...but in the end, I got rid of it because...it just didn't looked right. I thought the concept was right on...modern & classic at once & thought because of the function being what I fealt was superior to older designs, the looks would grow on me...or just wouldn't matter as much. Well they never grew on me & they mattered.

I buy an AR platform, or heck for that matter- my Camp Carbine- for function....my levers, I have to admit...FORM weighs much more heavily in my decision to purchase or pass it by.

I think that may be true for the majority of lever owners, lovers...the supporters of all things lever action. NOW... NOT SAYING FUNCTION ISN'T IMPORTANT....it is, but c'mon guys, I think if we are being honest...a bunch of us buy levers because they just look so darn pretty...classic, to us...what a rifle or a carbine is supposed to look like....Henry is dropping the ball BIG TIME if this is indeed what the production model is goinng to look like in the "finish" department. It looks like the AK-47 of the lever action world.

#41 · (Edited)
"I first thought it was a "mock up"...but why would they put a poor quality mock up on their site as their first "money shot" of their new baby...doesn't make sense...."

I have to agree with you, I'm not sure why they would use a prototype photo to showcase their new gun. It doesn't make sense.
If was me trying to get the public interested in a new gun, I'd put the best looking gun, with the best finish with the best wood I had as a picture.

I'm wondering if they used that photo, to try and get "feedback" before they started building production guns? I mean they are still a few months away from releasing the gun.
Is that plausable?

#42 ·
As to some of the issues with Henrys in general, yes it is true that the Big Boy line as well as the brass 30-30 are heavier than Marlins. However that is because the receivers are made with solid brass, which being weaker than steel and requires thicker construction. If you look at the catalog link Henry Repeating Arms | Fine Rifles Made in America and Priced Right it shows their offering at only 7.08 lbs, which is nearly 1/2 lb less than the Marlin GG. As to the price shown, that is MSLP and you shouldn't have to spend near that much. Yes I wish Henry would just get over it and put a load gate on, actually I think having the ability to load and unload the tube from either end would be the best of both worlds. I believe some Rossi's were actually made that way. As for the bad wood, I do think Henry ought to fire whoever it is that does their catalog pictures! I have seen lots of Henry pictures and most have far better wood than what is shown in their catalog. Here is a link to Rimfirecentral,s Henry picture thread. Just look there to get a truer idea of what Henry puts on their guns for wood.
Henry Photo Thread - RimfireCentral.com Forumsere is a picture of the little Henry Frontier I ordered thru Davidsons. It has pretty good wood too!

#43 · (Edited)
eaglesnest,

I agree that Henry's are USUALLY just beautiful...say it in this thread...I think their .22's are amoungst the prettiest made & as I said, I love the Big Boy, it's my favorite Henry model & maybe my favorite pistol caliber carbine period. I noticed in the paper catalog that they do a pretty good job of capturing the wood ( the 2011 catalog), as well as the engraving on the limited run models....but stated, one concern with this 45-70 is it just doesn't look like a Henry to me. The aesthetics are different & not in a good way...just my opinion. Now I know they couldn't use brass (I wasn't one to comment on the weight, I understand the differences in tensile strength regarding steel & brass) and make it strong enough to handle all modern 45-70 loads without making it the size of a Ma-Duece, but I was at least hoping they'd keep the classic lines of a Henry...straight grip, receiver shape...more like an oversized Big Boy.. make a Really Big Boy...my second & biggest concern is the receiver & bolt finish...it almost looks matte & none of Henry's catalog pics come close to looking matte, so this is odd. The others seem to shine in all their deep blue glory. I guess I'll have to wait to hold one...if possible.

#44 ·
My guess is this gun in the catalog is a prototype and probably isn't the best example of what their newest gun will look like. Just a guess on my part.

Reactions: Joe454
#46 ·
I'm gonna keep an eye on this one 'cause I think it's got potential. I kinda thought they might be going for the matte finish, take-a-beating, woods gun thing when I saw the picture.... Yeah the stock appears to be birch and the forend's a bit chunky, but I keep telling myself this might just be a prototype and they are looking to see how the potential market reacts? Considering this might be a picture of a prototype I've seen enough to want to see more. Like maybe in stainless with a nice walnut stock....I could live with the tube loading thing 'cause this would be a hunting/fun rifle for me; not a life or death defense system. One thing I don't care for, it seems you get ghost rings or a scope but not both. There is no dove-tailed rear sight so I don't see an option to mount a scope on something like a scout rail with QD rings and still have the irons as back-up. Anything could be drilled/tapped, but I guess I'd like to have the option of mounting an XS scout rail to the gun as it coems out of the box. That's just me. Humble opinion submitted.

#48 ·
first impression: Fuggly.
I don't like the lines of the checkering.
the forward part fo the receiver where the barrel threads into it looks cut away.
Why? for style? looks to me like less meat for the barrel to thread into.
the lever loop around the trigger gurard looks loppy.
the checkering looks very odd.
I hope the front sight and barrel band are made of Metal and not plastic.

already mentioned by others is the poor finish quality of the stock and metal.
who knows, maybe it will look better in person?

The loading tube is not a deal breaker for me.

#58 ·
.....the forward part fo the receiver where the barrel threads into it looks cut away.
Why? for style? looks to me like less meat for the barrel to thread into......
My first thought was that they engineered a weak spot so if it blows, the chamber will let go, up and away from the shooter and magazine, before lugs shear and the bolt goes through the shooter's face.

With all the different 45-70 ammo, and enthusiastic handloading.....well you get the idea.

#51 ·
OMG! They do exsist...DR. A, YOU ARE THE FIRST PERSON I saw write in this forum that they personaly saw one.....hate to pick on you, but can you elaborate? How was the wood? Did you get a chance to see the brass version of the 30-30? My first instict with the blue 30-30 & the 45-70 is they are going for a more utilitarian gun..why I'm on the fence about the PHOTO IN QUESTION being a mock up. I don't think they are trying to go after the traditional Henry beauty & instead, they are trying to make an affordable HUNTING WEAPON meant to take advantage of Marlin's wounded state..and they are striking at the right time...for them anyway. Hoping for the "death blow". If I worked for Henry, that would be my goal. I don't, so it's not...but put yourself in a Henry board meeting...probably a big Marlin banner with an "X" through it right behind the CEO.

#52 ·
i started out my levergun enthusiasm wiht a 9422, which I still think is one of the most beautiful leveractions. I migrated to Marlin when aquiring a 336, then a 1895, 1894's, etc. etc. I think I have some 20 now after giving one away. henry 22's can be pretty nice. That Henry I saw was not finished looking. The barrel, stock angle, finish on the receiver, Reciever to barrel, and even the ejection port just looks wrong. Its a WALNUT stock that really looks to be burch. I don't see any redeeming feature to it other than it is USA made and might hold me down in a storm. In other words, it reminds me of a boat anchor. The tube fed thing didn't bother me so much as the lack of a port in aesthetics! It looks JUST like the horrible photo we are all referring too. The Brazillian Rossi's certainly look better and better put together. Even the wood to metal fit was Remlin like.

The picture is not a mock up. Maybe they hired new folks with this gun. I know the 30-30's were lightened up from the first year. The one I saw was a second year gun. As far as I've been told, I am the only one to shoulder it. Its so different from what I am used to I just don't think I could get used to it. I've been waiting patiently for a GS to show up. Never see one I want when I have the money etc. etc

In defense of Henry, I do like their metal 22's, and some of the wood on thier better guns. However, they don't seem to flow like a real Marlin does. The 42 year old Glenfield I saw would have been carried away with its burch stock long before that henry was taken down and bought.

#54 · (Edited)
There is a Henry in 44 mag here in the Juneau Walmart store that has been here well over a year now still and on the rack. It could be that pistol caliber rifles are not as popular as 45/70's in this brown bear rich environment, but still I would have thought someone would have bought it by now. The wood is as you described the 30-30 henry, and as the picture of the 45/70. I am at a loss to explain why so much of their walnut is just very high grade like the 22 I bought new sight unseen and yet SOME look like cheap walnut stain over birch. My only theory is that they buy their walnut and use the pretty stuff and the bad indiscriminately. I think all the manufacturers do it to some extent. My Marlin GS has very plain walnut as well, but it has grain to it and looks like real walnut, is finished well and fits the receiver just about perfectly so I don't mind, plus it is the gun I knock around the woods with the most so I don't have to be too overprotective of it. Something to be said for that too... I would far rather have very plain walnut that fit the metal like someone was there when it happened rather than what Remlin has been doing with their guns. I saw a .357 Remlin in a Sportsman's warehouse last summer that had very pretty wood but the fit was just downright bad, and I wouldn't have bought that gun. Remlin had ruined a great piece of wood!

#53 · (Edited)
Say what you will, but I prefer buying something that is a looker. THe Ruger #1 in 45-70 really does it for me. I've got two Marlin 45-70's and that Buffalo Classic. Hunting weapon should be something that shoulders easily. It balances better than the Buffalo, and is more accurate than the Marlins.

Don't worry, I still love my Marlins.:tee:

#57 ·
Which? We are talking fit & finish...if you are speaking of the Buffalo Classic, Color case hardening...real walnut...deep blue...Harldy a 788...now if you're talking the 45-70 Henry...that looks at this point to have a 788 finish...this is objective.

If you're just speaking of not liking the Buffalo Classic's form...then no arguement...that is a subjective statement and to each their own or, as I've said before...we'd all be shooting the same gun.

#60 ·
I wonder if after emptying the magazine subsequent reloading through the ejection port one at a time would be quicker. I like being able to top off via the side loading gate. And as I think about it, I'll bet they redesign it for the side loading gate next year...it's not like they have patents to worry about. But they do have off-put potential customers to worry about who would pass on it based on the current design.

#61 ·
Hey Montana, the Henry can't be any thinner at the barrel /frame junction than a '95 Marlin in 45-70. There is a post in MO somewhere that gives the specs of just how thin a Marlin is! The important thing I think we should all remember is that Marlins are not ,and never will be, true Marlins again. Mr. I at Henry is obviously listening and this market soft spot is not lost on him. There is room for improvement on his 45-70 and if he is encouraged politely, he just may come through. He may also offer us some models and calibers that Remlin NEVER will. I say give Henry (Mr. I) a chance. The 30-30 is a heavy gun. I like it. I don't hike up mountains for sheep, there's another type rifle for that. The specs say the 45-70 is 7lbs, give or take a few ounces. Even if its heavier, the 18.4" barrel should balance well. Perhaps he will offer a 'Deluxe' hi-gloss finish on some guns later for you who adore such things. I like the utilitarian appearance. To each his own. So, shall we talk about Fords and Chevys?

Reactions: eaglesnest
#63 ·
The new Henry 45-70 looks like a tanned Rosie O'Donnell in a leather thong/bikini.
Big, bulgy, clunky and homely.
I thought Henry would turn out a more eye appealing gun for its 45-70 levergun carbine market debut.
Disappointing to say the least.

#66 ·
I agree that Henry is listening as there is now a wide opening in the levergun market. If so, they'll emulate the 1886 design and not try to upscale their .22 like the other Henry "big boy" looked to be. I wouldn't have taken that thing over to my 300 pound little sister's house.........

#67 ·
Not meaning to be critical at all, but why in the world would you need to load a 45/70 while it's on your shoulder?I agree with you and like the Marlin much better. Mine became my favorite rifle after one range trip and proved itself in the deer woods last fall. Really looking forward tot this season.I'm sure the new Henry rifles are nice guns, but a good Marlin is impossible to beat for me.

#68 ·
I haven't seen the Henry 45-70, but I hope they, or someone, can fill the void in the market left by the cessation of production of Marlin rifles.

Reactions: Oberhaz
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.