Marlin Firearms Forum banner

The new 2012 Henry .45-70 Rifles

49K views 102 replies 56 participants last post by  beretzs 
#1 ·
I was looking at the 45-70 Henry rifle Not bad at all.:congrats: What you say:questionmark:

T:hmmmm:NY

#5 ·
I noticed they mentioned it will handle any of the 45-70 loads. I wonder if that includes the Ruger #1 levels. Now THAT would be an accomplishment. Looks like a great looking rifle. I have read some of the folks do not like the magazine design, and I get why. I think their design would be great if it were a matter of just pulling the spring up and dropping the rounds in, as opposed to current design of pulling the spring tube out to load it. The previous mentioned design does not have parts that can be lost.

#20 ·
I noticed they mentioned it will handle any of the 45-70 loads. I wonder if that includes the Ruger #1 levels. Now THAT would be an accomplishment. Looks like a great looking rifle. I have read some of the folks do not like the magazine design, and I get why. I think their design would be great if it were a matter of just pulling the spring up and dropping the rounds in, as opposed to current design of pulling the spring tube out to load it. The previous mentioned design does not have parts that can be lost.
Is there commercial Ruger #1 ammo out there:questionmark: It seem to me it's commercial available 45-70 ammo that's stated in the Henry 45-70 ad. But I:dontknow:

T:hmmmm:NY

#9 ·
I guess it dont look too bad, Im good though, i have my 1895G so wont be needing that one....
O yeah its a Marlin......

BloodGroove4570

#10 ·

I can't warm up to that magazine design. The receiver port on other lever guns is much faster to reload and far less awkward. I can reload my Marlins without taking the gun down from my shoulder. Let's see you do that with that Henry. Otherwise, it's a very nice looking firearm.

#11 ·
The loading style doesn't bother me. If I can't kill what I'm aiming at with the first 5 shots, I should have used a bigger gun.
I understand that "perhaps" at the range it might be a bit "inconvienient" to have to pull the mag tube to load more rounds, but the gun does need to cool down between
shots anyway.
I can't say that without the loading gate it looks ugly, it just has its own style.

I'm witholding final judgement until I can hold one in my hands.

#15 ·
The loading style doesn't bother me. If I can't kill what I'm aiming at with the first 5 shots, I should have used a bigger gun.
I understand that "perhaps" at the range it might be a bit "inconvienient" to have to pull the mag tube to load more rounds, but the gun does need to cool down between
shots anyway.
I can't say that without the loading gate it looks ugly, it just has its own style.

I'm witholding final judgement until I can hold one in my hands.
Well said. Me too on the final judgement part. I'm a little disappointed, based on their own photo, of the finish.

I've been watching the trades and their website, and even had a couple of email exchanges with Mr. Imperato, about this rifle. Look close at this photo, from the Henry website, click the photo for the enlarged version.
Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

Is it just me or is the finish a little lack luster? I mean, this rifle could have been the next big thing. If the photo showed better, I would have an order in for one. As it stands now, I stand with Ratdz.

EDIT FOR PHOTO LINK

#12 ·
Its a real dog as far as I'm concerned. The whole thing is just so un put together. They need a designer.

I have three main issues though

1. The tube loading. What PITA
2. The stock design is terrible. Fat forend, bad checkering, muddled brown stain.
3. The lines of the action are a little weird towards the tang above the trigger guard. Looks arched and thin.

Count me out.

#13 ·
Great choice of issue sights. I like the absence of a manual safety. The receiver looks clean and strong. I also like the the magazine loading design. Very easy to unload without cycling them through the action. Not that big of a deal, but it's a rough ride for the bullets and brass. In a pinch you could probably load one round at a time through the ejection port if in a rush.

Yeah, the wood design and finish look a bit weak.

#16 ·
I agree with Fusty.Its hard to believe they let this picture on the web.To me the finish on the receiver looks thin,all the edges look worn,the bolt looks like it was carved from a charcoal briquette and even the XS sight looks like it has a case of road rash.Don't get me wrong I do like Henry rifles but for a sneak peek at a new model I would think they could have represented it better even if it meant performing some photoshop magic.

#17 ·
The finish on that thing looks like the finish on a Rem 870 express 12 ga I bought as a "throwaway", that is, if I have to use it to shoot someone busting into my house, and the cops take it as "evidence" I wont be out more than the $280 it cost me at Wallyworld. I don't want one of my grandfathers prized automatics being "evidence".........

This new Rem I have is a POC, but it works. Nothing I'm going to be concerned about passing down to the next gen. Amazing that Henry let a rifle looking that bad be the spokesmodel for their line.........:shot:

#18 ·
The finish looks terrible. And the front sight looks the same on the H001 which is bad. That is the worst front sight I have ever experieced and no one makes a relacement that is better.

#19 ·
Have not really cared for the feel of any Henry that I have handled and I feel they all weigh more than similar Marlins. The grips are also fatter like the new REMLINS.....
but who knows - - if they fail to right the Marlin ship any new guns may have to be from Henry or Rossi. Now if we can convince Ruger to build a Marlin style lever that would be a different matter indeed!

GB45

#21 · (Edited)
Have not really cared for the feel of any Henry that I have handled and I feel they all weigh more than similar Marlins. The grips are also fatter like the new REMLINS.....
but who knows - - if they fail to right the Marlin ship any new guns may have to be from Henry or Rossi. Now if we can convince Ruger to build a Marlin style lever that would be a different matter indeed!

GB45
The only statement I agree with is Ruger making Marlin clone rifles. I have handle Henry Rifles too and found them to be great rifles to shoot. Of course the Octagon 24" barrels models weigh more but so does any rifle with Octagon 24' barrel.

T:biggrin:NY

To all.
Lets face it Marlin of NH. CT. is gone and it's time to more on. We Marlin fans can hope that Remington makes the Marlin lever rifle the way it should be or sell Marlin to people who will.

For me I like the smell of a new rifles still in the box. Which is good new for who like to restore old rifle, I'm one less buyer in that respect. But I will buy a well taking cared old rifle.

#23 ·
Looking at the new Marlin catalog it appears they're taking drastic steps to compensate for their loss of gun making expertise - they are eliminating many of their rifles to be able to concentrate on making the rest with improved quality. IMO for Henry to really compete here (since it is a tube loader) they really need to match the Winchester for pressure. Second, they need to match the GBL/SBL for capacity. I'm not sure that we can take their pics and specs of this rifle to the bank just yet - too many contradictions even in their own marketing info.

#27 ·
I handled the 30-30 henry yesterday. The finish was terrible, and the Walnut stock looked like burch instead with poorly done checkering. It just had a heavy and clunky feel to me. There was a new in box 1895 of 2003 manufacture (similar to my 2001)_, and there is just no comparison. I'd have to say the Henry sucked. Perhaps the ones this year will be better. The 30-30 I saw was sitting for a year with hardly any lookers...

Maybe it shoots well, but I won't ever know, because I never took home a homely girl.

#29 ·
Well all I can say is I shot a 5 year old Big Boy 44 Mag. and it's a shooter and a beauty. It certainly sold me and every one I handle sure pass my acceptance of quality. Maybe it's because I live with in walking distance of the Henry firearms factory in Brooklyn NYC. Yes I know Henry has branched out but still close enough for me to get the fresh one.

T:biggrin:NY

#30 ·
I've emailed Henry and they told me that the picture on their website is from a "prototype" gun, which also explains the extra hole in the top of the barrel near the muzzle.
It was a different mounting point for the front sight when they were deciding on barrel length.

That may explain the "rough" finish quality of the gun.
I really wish they would have used a production gun for photos on the website.

Supposedly it weighs 7.08 pounds and has a 4+1 capacity.
I was really hoping for 5 or 6 round capacity in the magazine, and a touch longer barrel.

#31 · (Edited)
I like Henry rifles & carbines...traditonal looking Henrys...brass receivers and octoganal barrels. All of their .22's are beautiful & my favorite...the Big Boy. Nice carbine.
That said...as far as their 30-30 & now 45-70...I'm glad they are branching out. Who knows if a new Marlin branded 45-70 will even be an option in the near future(and has anybody laid their hands on a Henry 30-30...it's like Big Foot...as in, people say it exsists, but??). Still, just my opinion on Henry's "rifle caliber" gun aesthetics....I'm not a fan. Looks like a cross between a 336/1895 and a traditional Henry....on their own, nice looking wepons....mash them together...& eh?? The Henry 45-70 just doesn't look right to me. The forearm checkering is a bit ugly..again in my opinion, to each their own or we'd all own the same gun...and the absence of the loading gate on the receiver makes it look like an unfinished Marlin.

Will it work....? Probably, if their past designs are any indication...but, again...just in the looks dept....I think they've lost the look of a true "Henry", their identity....to me, the one thing that made me want any Henry in the first place.

#34 ·
Personally I think its disgusting. I'm not even sure thats a real picture of a finished gun. Look where the barrel meets reciever???? The front sight band setup is nasty too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.