+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The new 2012 Henry .45-70 Rifles

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I like Henry rifles & carbines...traditonal looking Henrys...brass receivers and octoganal barrels. All of their .22's are beautiful & my favorite...the Big Boy. Nice carbine.
    That said...as far as their 30-30 & now 45-70...I'm glad they are branching out. Who knows if a new Marlin branded 45-70 will even be an option in the near future(and has anybody laid their hands on a Henry 30-30...it's like Big Foot...as in, people say it exsists, but??). Still, just my opinion on Henry's "rifle caliber" gun aesthetics....I'm not a fan. Looks like a cross between a 336/1895 and a traditional Henry....on their own, nice looking wepons....mash them together...& eh?? The Henry 45-70 just doesn't look right to me. The forearm checkering is a bit ugly..again in my opinion, to each their own or we'd all own the same gun...and the absence of the loading gate on the receiver makes it look like an unfinished Marlin.

Will it work....? Probably, if their past designs are any indication...but, again...just in the looks dept....I think they've lost the look of a true "Henry", their identity....to me, the one thing that made me want any Henry in the first place.
    Last edited by Rocker59; 01-13-2012 at 01:29 PM.
    Fan of all things .45 caliber,Marlin Levers, Gibson Gee-tars & Triumph Motor-Sicles
    State Cert. Instructor on Select Fire/Tactical Assault Rifle, Semi-Auto Pistol & Shotgun- Ret.
    Team 45-70 Member #560
    Team 60 Member #72

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdz View Post
    The loading style doesn't bother me. If I can't kill what I'm aiming at with the first 5 shots, I should have used a bigger gun.
    I understand that "perhaps" at the range it might be a bit "inconvienient" to have to pull the mag tube to load more rounds, but the gun does need to cool down between
    shots anyway.
    I can't say that without the loading gate it looks ugly, it just has its own style.

I'm witholding final judgement until I can hold one in my hands.

Or get an eye exam......or practice your marksmanship
    Steve, in Massachusetts...

I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt.

Be American, Buy American... Stimulate!

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I am really looking forward to handling one in person other than just judging from the picture. Never owned a Henry but, I waiting for this one.
    Team .45/70 #603

Site Contibutor Super Moderator
    Member #
    Personally I think its disgusting. I'm not even sure thats a real picture of a finished gun. Look where the barrel meets reciever? The front sight band setup is nasty too.
    Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/
    Team 1894 member#146
    Team 45/70 member#458
    Freedoms not free!
    Support your NRA!

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    I'm with you Dude. The 45-70 photo is very poor quality but I'm not optimistic. Finally we have proof they know how to mount a front sight like the rest of the world on the brass/octagon 30-30 so why can't they do it on the rest of their rifles? My brother has two of their standard .22 rifles and the front sight is a joke. His are a few years old so maybe they have allowed for some windage adjustment recently. I know one of his, he has a youth and adult size, has a plastic front band and sight.

I guess the loading arrangement isn't too bad but it would take some getting used to. Especially when unloading the tube with one already in the chamber. Awkward to say the least.

I remember when Henry had about 4 models to choose from. I hope they do well with them but I think they aren't for me.

Jeff
    68Glenfield likes this.
    Jeff

"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."
    Willard Duncan Vandiver

"Trouble with you is you don't enjoy the game for its own rewards: stimulation, relaxation, pleasant association, and interesting conversation." Paul Regret

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    From what I have seen first hand the fit and finish on most Henry 22's is awesome, if this 45-70 is any similar im sure the final product will look much nicer than that picture.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I just can't get behind having to pull the spring out to load it... too cumbersome.
    John

Team Old Phart #86
    Team 39 #61
    Team 30-30 #95
    Team 1894 #121

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatersoup View Post
    I just can't get behind having to pull the spring out to load it... too cumbersome.
    yah but I bet it is a pleasure to unload. I'm not buying a hunting rifle for a firefight so loading down the tube is no big deal. At the range I breech load anyhow. Besides no loading gate to get loose and perhaps less parts to lock up the action too.

TNY

Wrangler
    Member #
    I really like the Henry .22, my brother has one and it is one slick lever Brass finnish reciever and oct Barrel it shoots almost as good as the 39 he gave me when I was 10
    I just dont like how that 45/70 rifle does not have a loading gate.
    Yes four rounds are good for most hunting but it is nice to top up a lever say you drop a big bear in two shots and start walking up on it a Marlin or Win will let you slip another round up the tube just in case? that is a big plus for most levers you can almost keep the gun on target wile you reload.
    I think I just miss the loading gate call me old fashioned but then my 99s don't have one lol
    As far as wieght goes my Marlins all feel heavy I still love them but my old beater Model 71 in .348 is only a wee bit heavy compared to a 1895.
    After about 30 guns the wife does not really know how many you have.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I have to say it again and put it simpler than before because I agree with most of you...

It just doesn't look right. I first thought it was a "mock up"...but why would they put a poor quality mock up on their site as their first "money shot" of their new baby...doesn't make sense....

Now I'll add....
    As far as loading, I didn't touch on that before, since I was just speaking of looks....but....I'll address it and it still comes full circle back to looks...

I don't think that tube loading concerns me...I believe I had the easiest loading lever made (well one of them anyway)...the Browning BLR...but in the end, I got rid of it because...it just didn't looked right. I thought the concept was right on...modern & classic at once & thought because of the function being what I fealt was superior to older designs, the looks would grow on me...or just wouldn't matter as much. Well they never grew on me & they mattered.

I buy an AR platform, or heck for that matter- my Camp Carbine- for function....my levers, I have to admit...FORM weighs much more heavily in my decision to purchase or pass it by.

I think that may be true for the majority of lever owners, lovers...the supporters of all things lever action. NOW... NOT SAYING FUNCTION ISN'T IMPORTANT....it is, but c'mon guys, I think if we are being honest...a bunch of us buy levers because they just look so darn pretty...classic, to us...what a rifle or a carbine is supposed to look like....Henry is dropping the ball BIG TIME if this is indeed what the production model is goinng to look like in the "finish" department. It looks like the AK-47 of the lever action world.
    Last edited by Rocker59; 01-13-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    Fan of all things .45 caliber,Marlin Levers, Gibson Gee-tars & Triumph Motor-Sicles
    State Cert. Instructor on Select Fire/Tactical Assault Rifle, Semi-Auto Pistol & Shotgun- Ret.
    Team 45-70 Member #560
    Team 60 Member #72

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links