Marlin Firearms Forum banner

The new 2012 Henry .45-70 Rifles

49K views 102 replies 56 participants last post by  beretzs 
#1 ·
I was looking at the 45-70 Henry rifle Not bad at all.:congrats: What you say:questionmark:

T:hmmmm:NY

#69 ·
Observations from this thread and several others such as " I can't believe ".
1 Under new ownership Marlin quality has taken a nose dive and there is concern they don't care.
2 We would all like a better quality new lever gun, although individual tastes vary on what it should be.
3 Henry might be trying to fill this opening, and their first offering falls short, but they are likely seeking our business.

Maybe the first Henry 45-70 is not the rifle we had hoped for, but it is a try. I agree with previous posts that we should
try to give them constructive input on what they need to do if they want us to buy their rifle, things can change. You don't
go to a new friend and tell them their wife is ugly and their hunting dog couldn't find a bird if it was perched on it's nose, and
and then ask them if you can borrow the keys to their pickup.

#71 ·
That would be great, but I am not going to hold my breath waiting for Henry to make that claim because they never will. In fact all any gun maker seem to claim is that shooting handloads of any pressure in their guns voids their warranty. They will only say SAMMI specs are safe and so there is that gray area that must be tested over time to find out what limit their guns will really take. I think this is why I will, at least for the time being be content with my GS. There is a consensus with the 1895, based on decades of handloaders experiences as well as bullet and powder manufacturers extensive testing and load data.
If Henry made the claim that their gun will handle Ruger #1 pressures they open themselves up to lawsuits, because no one manufacturers ammunition to Ruger #1 loads and if someone shot their own Ruger #1 load, or what they "thought" was such and the gun came apart, killing the poor guy at the next bench over, the burden of proof might fall on Henry if they made the claim that Ruger #1 pressures are safe. It is smart business for them to avoid that situation altogether.

Reactions: Jonny V
#72 ·
Well, I see this is an old thread with some new input.

My comment goes back to some of the earlier comments about the tube Mag and the way it must be filled.

My first firearm, given to me waaaay back in the 50s, was a J.C. Higgins .410 with just such a tube mag which needed to be opened and pulled out to fill.

Piece of JUNK, and that one thing alone would keep me from buying even if I did trust, Henry, the new guy on the block.

With the recoil of the 45/70, I wonder just how long the tube retainer will last and function.

Won't be putting any of my money in Henry's pocket any time soon.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

#73 ·
Sent off an email to to Henry and got a reply that their 45-70 DOES NOT HANDLE RUGER #1 AMMO LOADS.

#74 ·
MY #1 does, if I'd ever needed them. However, a 465gr WFN boolit is totally awesome at just 1600 - 1700fps. Kills elk, like way dead!

So, considering we seldom need loads the level of the "#1 - 45/70 loads," we still have the matter where that front load mags. is questionable at the very least.

Will be a long while before I buy into Henry products.

CDOC

#76 ·
The Henry and Rossi receivers sure do look like Marlins don't they.

#78 ·
The chief gun designer at Henry should be shot with a frozen ball of his own dudu.
It's a shame to see good materials wasted on such ungainly looking abominations.

#79 ·
Henry magazines

I dont mind the Henry style magazines at all. My Marlin 94 in 32 H&R has the same style magazine and I love it.This style magazine allows easy cleaning.I can wipe off the follower,and run a patch down the tube every so often.I'ts surprising how much gunk finds it's way in there after alot of shooting

#81 ·
It must be an acquired taste I haven't acquired.

Reactions: MGSchindel
#82 ·
Love the Henry's, or hate them, let your dollar vote for what is best for you. As for the mag tube end coming loose, this doesn't seem to be an engineering conundrum to me. Of course it would need to stand up and be designed tougher than the average 22 but I am fairly certain the designers are up to the task. After all, if Rossi can keep theirs in their M-92 .454 Casull, which weighs in at a mere 5lbs and which is probably one of the harder recoiling leverguns out there, Henry out to be able to handle it in their big heavy 45/70..

Reactions: Oberhaz
#84 ·
My #1 choice would be a New Haven marlin, if it cant be found, then my last resort would be the Henry.
I can live with the tube feed, as long as it is a good quality tough as nails rifle.
Ive been looking at the Uberti levers, but Im worried they may just be for show and not work.
I just want a heavy duty working rifle that will hold up for many years, or generations.
I wont be able to do fast reloads with the henry, but I will have a sidearm with me to fill in the gap if need be.
Just a good tough rifle that gets the job done

#89 ·
My #1 choice would be a New Haven marlin, if it cant be found, then my last resort would be the Henry.
I can live with the tube feed, as long as it is a good quality tough as nails rifle.
Ive been looking at the Uberti levers, but Im worried they may just be for show and not work.
I just want a heavy duty working rifle that will hold up for many years, or generations.
I wont be able to do fast reloads with the henry, but I will have a sidearm with me to fill in the gap if need be.
Just a good tough rifle that gets the job done
Where do you hunt or go where you may have to reload that fast. If you put 1 in the chamber 4 or 5 in the tube mag. and 1 or 2 quickly available to breech load that would be 6 or 8 shots available. If you are in a situation where a Grizzly bear is charging and you don't kill it with the first or fourth shot it's over for you. No need to worry about reloading the bear win. Grizzlies can out run a hores in a sprint.:vollkommenauf:

T:flute: NY

#85 ·
If I were in the market for a 45-70, today, the Henry would be my choice over a new Marlin, hands down. The Henry's I have shot have all been very accurate and well put together. I have an earlier 1895G that is an AWESOME rifle, but the newer ones on the shelves don't have much curb appeal. The magazine tube doesn't bother me in the least. I like the sight set up, right from the factory. I also like the fact there isn't any safety on the rifle. I think they will sell well once they hit the streets.

Reactions: Oberhaz
#86 ·
My Dad has owned a Henry 30-30 for a couple of years. I thought it looked pretty good, bluing is nice (steel receiver) and it has ok wood. It is heavy with a capitol H! I didn't get around to shooting it yet (we live 1000 miles apart). It has to be a real *****cat, I'm guessing it must weight 8 1/2 lbs, it has a heavy barrel. His is a straight stock, I prefer my Texan and Win 94, but like I said I didn't shoot the Henry. Maybe it is magic to shoot?

Hank

#87 ·
If they're after Marlins market share they aren't going to get it with this ugly POS.
I guess if a 900 pound Grizzly was charging toward me @ 30 mph I'd shoulder the Henry .45-70 if the only other choice was a New York factory built Remlin.
In that case UGLY would certainly trump DYSFUNCTIONAL.
What a choice.

#93 ·
Henry is Ugly, Rossi is a plan Jane, Winchester is expensive and would rather have a Marlin, Uberti looks like a wall hanger etc. etc. etc. Guys Henry 30 30 and 45-70 is a hunting rifle and it an option. I hear this argument all the time about the BLR and now it's Henry turn. Think about it the Henry 30 30 and 45-70 looks to be a Marlin clone that loads the same way the original Henry repeater did. Besides I thing it's trouble free operation cause the Henry has less moving parts in the receiver and screws to become loose allowing the loading gate and spring to jam out the action on a hunt or else way. The Henry rifle is a family run business made in the USA and it is a quality firearm. I like the Marlin design over all but Henry is far more reliable. And I will never understand why the need to load as you shoot, the wild West is tamed now.

T:hmmmm: NY

#94 ·
I'm going to wait and see one up close and not some photo that looks more like it was a mock up than an actual rifle before I pass judgement. I am betting, considering their other leverguns that it won't look as bad as many of the Remlins I have seen. Speaking of waiting, 2012 is winding down and have these Henrys hit the streets yet.?

#96 ·
I haven't seen one yet but I bet the Brazilians love them. Can't be any different than the 30 30 with a 45 cal barrel.

T:hmmmm: NY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.