+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

1895 GBL sight replacement

Hi there. This is my first post here so forgive my lack of knowledge. I just bought an 1895GBL and want to replace the sights with the XS Ghost ring sights that are found on the SBL. My question is this: will the rail and sights be an easy bolt on addition or will it be a pain in the butt? Thanks in advance

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Re: 1895 GBL sight replacement

One more question..... Do I even need the rail if I dont plan on putting a scope on or will the sight just bolt right on??

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Good day,

I have just finished upgrading my sights on my GBL so bear with me. You have three choices with the XS package. First is add the front and rear sights with no rail. It is simple and good to go. Nice basic design and very shootable. Your second choice is the same front and rear sights but add a scout rail that attaches to the two front scope mount screws on the receiver and the dovetail cut from the current rear sight. With this configuration you can mount a scout scope or red dot type optic. Your third choice is the full rail configuration that has the rear sight, rail and front sight. It allows you to use just the irons, normal scope or scout. Use quick release rings like the Leupolds and you can swap out your configuration. They all work, just depends on what you want to do and what kind of optics.

I hope this helps...
    Team 45/70 #288

Wrangler
    Member #

I did the same modification a few weeks ago to my GG. It was a nice and easy 30 minute job, as I did not want to scratch my gun up. I went for the full size rail with the front and rear sight.

So far I've never regretted it. It is an easy mod that you can do at home without a gunsmith.

Pete

Wrangler
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by G123
    Hi there. This is my first post here so forgive my lack of knowledge. I just bought an 1895GBL and want to replace the sights with the XS Ghost ring sights that are found on the SBL. My question is this: will the rail and sights be an easy bolt on addition or will it be a pain in the butt? Thanks in advance
    g123, i just did this on my ABL and had no issues and i have no gunsmithing skills at all. this was my first ever "modification" to any gun. if you decide against the rail, you may want to get a dovetail filler/blank for the rear factory sight. i originally intended on leaving it in and just folding the rear sight down but the recoil popped it up after every shot. that got old so i removed the factory rear and replaced it with a filler/blank.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thanks for all the replys. I have already ordered the complete set up so it sounds like I'll be going that route. Since my first post I found the XS "how-to" video and it does look fairly simple.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by G123
    Thanks for all the replys. I have already ordered the complete set up so it sounds like I'll be going that route. Since my first post I found the XS "how-to" video and it does look fairly simple.
    It is not hard at all. I would suggest that you don't loctite everything down until you are confident in the position and set up of the rail. Once you are happy that the rail is not off centred and fitting properly, then you can lock it down with the supplied loctite.

Good luck and don't forget to post pictures.
    Team 45/70 #288

Team Thuty-Thuty Co-Captain - Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Marlin should have gone ahead and made a GBLR! Seems like a lot of people (me included) have gone with the XS setup.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links