+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Wrangler
    Member #

Marlin 1895 Guide gun sights upgrade

Hey guys,

I've got a Marlin 1895 coming in in the next two weeks. My plan is upgrading the sights with the full length rail by XS systems.

My question here is, does the XS systems rear sight also work with the std Marlin factory front sight ? I guess I would need to change both probably...............

Other question is : is there a way to get a winged rear sight for the XS sights rail to offer that ghost ring sight some protection ? If so, does any of you have the parts # or can advise me how to do a mod ?

TYIA,

Pete

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Marlin 1895 Guide gun sights upgrade

Maybe you have seen them and decided you still want the xs sights, but just in case. You may want to take a look in our Industry Partners forum and take a good look at "Skinner Sights". I know for a fact that his lo-pro rear sight will work with your factory front sight, as it is what I have on mine. I have Skinner sights on all of my Marlins with peeps and could not be happier.
    Lord, I'm not a violent man , but the guns in my hand !!
    Christian, Conservative, gun-owner and I make no apologies for it!
    mulemangunworks.com
    Team 45-70 #165

Sidewinder
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by moonbat60
    Hey guys,

I've got a Marlin 1895 coming in in the next two weeks. My plan is upgrading the sights with the full length rail by XS systems.

My question here is, does the XS systems rear sight also work with the std Marlin factory front sight ? I guess I would need to change both probably...............

Other question is : is there a way to get a winged rear sight for the XS sights rail to offer that ghost ring sight some protection ? If so, does any of you have the parts # or can advise me how to do a mod ?

TYIA,

Pete
    I just got a new STBL. I wanted to set it up the same way, but there was not a winged sight that I found to fit on the full length rail. I went with the shorter XS rail and the DRC winged sight set, ordered from Brownell's. I like the way it worked out, and really like the protection of the wings on the back sight, as I have been known to be a bit tough on rifles. here are pics of my setup.

I know you will lose a little rail space, but not much. If you are using a red dot sight and want to move it closer to your eye, this may present a problem, but with a scout setup, it is perfect in my opinion. Good luck, I love mine.
    Team 45-70 #185
    1895GS Brockman Custom, 16"Barrel, Brockman Sights, Leupold Scout Scope, Wild West Trigger, Full Can of Bad Ass.

The Cross We Must Bear
    Wide Eyed Rancher; "Did I really just see you hit that badger at 200yds with that stubby little gun?"
    Digger; "Yep"
    Wide Eyed Rancher; "Don't matter, won't nobody else believe it anyway......."

"There are few matters of grave consequence that cannot be solved with the proper application of lead and kinetic energy." Digger

Deadeye
    Member #

I have an 1895M (450 Guide Gun) & have it set up EXACTLY the same as trdigger has his (right down to the Burris & Warne QR rings. Trdigger is obviously a man of great taste & wisdom ) & couldn't be happier. Before I got my 2.75x Burris I had a 30mm Ultradot red dot sight on it & the location of the scout mount worked great with it also. I personally like the XS (DRC) front sight much better than the factory sight.
    All in all I couldn't be happier with the setup. It works perfect for me here in Alaska. 0-200 yds is a no-brainer with 420gr hardcast. If my current rifle were destroyed & I were to build another rifle for my hunting here it would be a duplicate if this one.

Trdigger, your pic looks like Alaska, maybe Canada or the Yukon. Where are you located?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Sidewinder
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK.
    I have an 1895M (450 Guide Gun) & have it set up EXACTLY the same as trdigger has his (right down to the Burris & Warne QR rings. Trdigger is obviously a man of great taste & wisdom ) & couldn't be happier. Before I got my 2.75x Burris I had a 30mm Ultradot red dot sight on it & the location of the scout mount worked great with it also. I personally like the XS (DRC) front sight much better than the factory sight.
    All in all I couldn't be happier with the setup. It works perfect for me here in Alaska. 0-200 yds is a no-brainer with 420gr hardcast. If my current rifle were destroyed & I were to build another rifle for my hunting here it would be a duplicate if this one.

Trdigger, your pic looks like Alaska, maybe Canada or the Yukon. Where are you located?
    Thanks for the good taste compliment, I love this gun and feel the same as you about a replacement. I live in Western WA, and the pic is on Riffe Lake in Lewis County. It feels very Alaska-ish, hunting from Jet Boats, lots of thick timber etc. No big bears though, just little black ones. But, some say there are other big hairy things in these parts.
    Team 45-70 #185
    1895GS Brockman Custom, 16"Barrel, Brockman Sights, Leupold Scout Scope, Wild West Trigger, Full Can of Bad Ass.

The Cross We Must Bear
    Wide Eyed Rancher; "Did I really just see you hit that badger at 200yds with that stubby little gun?"
    Digger; "Yep"

"There are few matters of grave consequence that cannot be solved with the proper application of lead and kinetic energy." Digger

Deadeye
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by trdigger
    Thanks for the good taste compliment, I love this gun and feel the same as you about a replacement. I live in Western WA, and the pic is on Riffe Lake in Lewis County. It feels very Alaska-ish, hunting from Jet Boats, lots of thick timber etc. No big bears though, just little black ones. But, some say there are other big hairy things in these parts.
    Some beautiful & rugged country in WA!
    I spent my 1st 28 yrs living in south eastern (Klamath Falls) Oregon, & from 18yrs old on I was working in the woods in central/western Oregon, & northern CA. I am a believer in those big hairy things. I won't get into it but have had a couple of goose bumpy experiences.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Sidewinder
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK.
    Some beautiful & rugged country in WA!
    I spent my 1st 28 yrs living in south eastern (Klamath Falls) Oregon, & from 18yrs old on I was working in the woods in central/western Oregon, & northern CA. I am a believer in those big hairy things. I won't get into it but have had a couple of goose bumpy experiences.
    Amen Brutha.
    Team 45-70 #185

The Cross We Must Bear
    Digger; "Yep"

Wrangler
    Member #

Skinner sight w/protection.

When Satan is knocking at your door, simply say, "Jesus,
    will you please get that for me?"

Wrangler
    Member #

Thanks, gentlemen.

I appreciate your support.

Pete

Tenderfoot
    Member #

My advice is go with The Skinner Sight! That will be my next purchase. I had an XS Rear Sight that adjusted to far left and I munted the screw on it. Sent it back to XS and they said they would send me a replacement for free. I was pretty happy with that. It's been months now and many emails, still no sight! Take that for what it is worth I suppose. The Skinner looks like it profiles better with the gun anyway.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links