+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Need some advice on my 1895 GG and current Marlin 1895's

This is going to be a little long, so please bear with me

I have an early SS Guide Gun with the factory ported barrels. It also has the straight stock. I like it, except for the straight stock and "floppy trigger". I bought it used several years ago and some bubba had took off the front and rear sights . Other than that, she shoots good. I have had a new GBL on order for almost 2 months now but with no word as to when it will get in.

My thoughts or ideas are as follows:

1) Sell or trade my GG for the remainder of what I owe on the GBL
    2) Keep it, put sights back on it, replace the trigger and try and add a pg stock
    3) Say the hell with the GBL, and buy a standard 1895 and have the barrel cut to 18"

My following questions are this:

1) I have been reading on this forum of some QC issues with the newer Marlins since Remington took over. Is this correct for all the models?
    2) It seems that the older Marlins are built to higher standards. Is this correct?

Okay, I await your all's responses.Thanks!

Mike

Drivin my life away... Cowpoke
    Member #

Re: Need some advice on my 1895 GG and current Marlin 1895's

Sell the GG, buy a standard 1895 and leave the barrel at 22"...it still handles like a dream (some say better...including me)

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by miklognasser
    I have an early SS Guide Gun with the factory ported barrels. It also has the straight stock. I like it, except for the straight stock and "floppy trigger". I bought it used several years ago and some bubba had took off the front and rear sights . Other than that, she shoots good. I have had a new GBL on order for almost 2 months now but with no word as to when it will get in.

You'll find that floppy trigger on all of them.....if you're handy you can go to the gunsmithing section on this forum and follow swany's trigger job....I did that to several of mine and wouldn't waste my money on an aftermarket trigger.....if not you could find a good gunsmith to do it for you.

So you haven't shot it since you bought it because it didn't have sights? That should've been a quick, cheap, and easy fix.....It might not have been a "Bubba".....maybe he changed the sights out and misplaced the originals? Anyway you can get the sights and install them easy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by miklognasser
    1) I have been reading on this forum of some QC issues with the newer Marlins since Remington took over. Is this correct for all the models?
    2) It seems that the older Marlins are built to higher standards. Is this correct?

Okay, I await your all's responses.Thanks!

Mike
    1) No, not all of the new rifles have QC problems....we only hear about the problems and hardly ever about all the good ones.

2) Yes the older ones were built with much more TLC, hand fitting and such. Welcome to the new way of "5S" and "Lean Manufacturing"!
    Steve, in Massachusetts...

I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt.

Be American, Buy American... Stimulate!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thanks for the responses so far fella's, they are much appreciated!

I did add a scope to my GG and shot it several times without any problems except the floppy trigger thing.

I like the compactness of the GG, along with the porting because I was a little concerned about the recoil aspect. Found out, with Rem. 300 grain factory loads, it was a *****cat. Don't need anything stouter than that to hunt deer around here. The other nice thing about my GG is that the action is smooth as glass. I am, however, not a big fan of stainless steel (too shiny) and like blued guns.

As a side note, I am not a collector and I view firearms as a tool. No more, no less. I pick the right tool for the job. With that said, I have modified or bought modified/custom guns to fit my need. I will do the same with either my current GG or, if I get rid of it and buy another 1895, it too. Not meaning to start a flame war hear or sound like a troll. Just stating how I look at things.

Thanks!

Mike

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Miklognasser, the early ported GGs are very nice if you like them. Some people hate them. Most claim they are to loud becouse of the porting. I have a Ruger #1 45-70 and the muzzle blast is the same in boath rifles. If you want to sell the GG you should have no problem.

Super Site Contributor - Team 45/70 Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

If you don't care for the stainless and need a good knock around rifle,
    then I'd say sell the gs and get the gbl.

The laminate stock will hold up better than the walnut. Also has the full length mag and big lever loop. The gbl is a great value for the price considering the features.

I believe the warranty is 5 years on the newer rifles. Kind of a pain to deal with, but if you're not satisfied with what you get, Marlin will make good on it.

jmo

Keep us posted
    Scott
    Team .45/70 Captain

~~~~~to join 'Team .45/70' visit this link~~~~~
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,77364.0.html

*******Marlin 336SS-LTD .35 Rem club*******
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/gr...-rem-club.html

Tenderfoot
    Member #

rr11---I agree with you, I can tell no difference between in loudness between my ported GG or my brothers newer unported GG.

mainecat---That was my thinking as well about the gbl. Would make a great truck gun

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Like six_gunz said, the trigger is like that on all of them and it's a non-issue. It's affectionately known as the Marlin Flop but it does NOT affect anything. The slack is all prior to "actuating" the trigger so it doesn't hurt a thing. A tiny bit of finger pressure at it will tighten right up.

Me?

I say keep the Guide Gun, forget the GBL and the standard 1895 and get an 1895CB. Once you handle a CB you'll think all the shorter barreled guns are actually heavier.

Best of both worlds.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Eli Chaps and sixgunz----I guess I should have been a little more informative in regards to the trigger flop thing. Yes, there is a little flop/slop as you take up the trigger, but thats no big deal. Once its fired, then the trigger is REAL floppy/sloppy. If I didn't know better, I'd think something was broken inside. Nothing is though since she shoots just fine.

I have thought about installing another trigger but, I have found that the more you mess with a proven design, the more things can go wrong. Its like hopping up the engine in your car or truck. The more horsepower you get, the less reliable the engine is.

I like the KISS principle

Mike

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Although I own a gg the coyboy handles the best.
    Canadian outdoorsman.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links